Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

sluggish

my 99 4.0 sohc is starting hesitate on take off. it only does it when the motort is at temp and running for a while. If I wind the motor up it does fine only from take off or low speeds when accelerating hard. I have not gotten any codes so I am not sure. any suggestions?
  2. D

cam to crank timing onsohc

I am doing the typical guide/tensioner replacement. I have the OTC tool set but I know my cam to crank time is not correct do to the broken jackshaft tensioner. I was reading the haynes manual and it states that the off center slot on the end of the drivers side cam should be down when at TDC...
  3. D

1999 Ford Explorer - No Reverse??? PLZ help

if you do not have engine braking in low 1 then it is the reverse band. Put the explorer in 1 and drive to run the rpms up, let off the gas. if the engine does not maintain the current rpm it is more than likely the band. Typically if it is broke the engine will fall back to idle. Of course it...
  4. D

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

if the jackshaft chain has jumped timing how do I get the crank and cams back in time. I have the timing tool set, so I know setting the crank @ TDC is no problem, but i am concerned about the cams to the crank.
  5. D

URGENT! - ID this part - timing chain tensioner

you have a broken balance shaft tensioner. I have the exact same one, in pieces sitting on my work bench right now. I found mine laying in the pan as well. the jackshaft tensioner is much larger than the pc you have. I ordered the tensioner from ford it was less than $30. the problem is putting...
  6. D

Anyone tint your windows yourself??

i found a place on ebay that does precut high quality film and the cost is cheap. they are located in va. beach, va. and easy to deal with. I just did my wifes escape and the cost was less than $30 delivered. Easy to install
  7. D

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

can someone explain the purpose of the balance shaft on the 4x4 engine?
  8. D

Where are all the Virginia Explorers??

where is the land located? I am familiar with the lexington area, i have relatives that own property there. it is a bit of a drive but it sounds like fun
  9. D

Where are all the Virginia Explorers??

i live in smithfield about an hour se of richmond. I would be up for something is you guys put something together
  10. D

neeed help on 5r55e rebuild

the trans seems to be doing ok for the most part. after driving for a while I start to get the 2-3 flare again. Do I need to adjust the bands after driving a bit? I did get 2 codes, the OD light has not blinked sinced the first time I adjusted the bands po731 1st gear error & po734 4th...
  11. D

i only changed what came in the kit. I did intsall the spring from the superior kit though. I drove it some more last night and the braking issue gone due to adjusting the bands again it will actually shift correctly from time to time. I tried shifting it manually and it would shift...
  12. D

i readjusted the front and imed. band and the braking issue went away. Also the OD light does not flash. The trans shifts good except for now have a 2-3 flare, bad actually. Before this rebuild I had already redone the valve body with the superior kit, sonnax boost valve and the ford tsb...
  13. D

5R55E VB rebuilt, still no reverse

I recently went through the same deal. I had no reverse, but I had manual 1, but I did not have engine braking. i went through the same steps as you have so fae and I finally pulled the tranny and found the reverse band to be broke right where the revse servo piston connected. so it is...
  14. D

I rebuilt my 5r55e due to a broken reverse band. The trans looked really good when I took it apart and it went back together rather easy. I used the master kit with new bands seals, clutches, etc. the results a re somewhat good. I have reverse and I have all forward gears, but only in D...
  15. D

master kit

pm'd you
  16. D

master kit

where is the best place to get the master rebuuild kit and reverse band for the 5r55e? I had a reverse band break, although I still had manual one. the trans looked really good but I want to go ahead and rebuild it since I have it out thanks
  17. D

reverse band?

if I understand you correctly, i have all forward gears including od. they all seem to be in the correct place on the dash
  18. D

reverse band?

i put the exp on jack stands and put it in reverse. it sounds like the trans tries to go in, it does not turn unless you move it with your hand. I put it 4lo and the trans would actually go into reverse and turn, but i could then stop it why my hands. it will not move the truck in 4lo...
  19. D

reverse band?

like most others have said in the past, the dealer told me I have a broken band, which means new tranny. all of the gears work great, just no reverse and no engine braking in manual 1st
  20. D

reverse band?

how far shold the screw driver go in before I hit the band? would manual one be working fine if the band was broke?
  21. D

reverse band?

yes, but no engine braking. All other gears are fine, fluid looks great and the filter is clean how much travel should the reverse servo pistion have? when I dropped the cover mine was as at the top of the bore
  22. D

reverse band?

how can you determine if the reverse band is broke? other than not having reverse
  23. D

questions on 5r55e

can someone answer the question about the servo piston rod
  24. D

questions on 5r55e

how does the transfer case effect reverse? I have heard the transfer case being bad when reverse goes out also i checked the travel on the reverse servo piston. When I gently place a long screwdriver into the piston rod hole it actually took more screwdriver length to touch the band than the...
  25. D

no reverse, very strange

the piston is as far up as it can go, I will pull it back down and check it out. as far as the manual 1st, when I am in drive and manually downshift it will not go into first unless I am giving it throttle. If I let off the throttle and downshift it will not engage into first, only if I...
Back