Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

correct solenoid pack part number - '02 5R55W?

I guess for my early 02 5R55W the part number is 1L2Z-7G391-AG if anyone else is trying to figure this out for their transmission
  2. M

Thanks. That makes it look like the latest one will not work with the 02-03 5R55W transmissions.... :(
  3. M

I did a bunch of searching on here and could not definitively figure out the answer. Is it the latest - 9L2Z-7G391-A? I thought most 5R55W and 5R55S stuff interchanges, thought I'd double check before getting one. :) Thanks
  4. M

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

I really appreciate that! :) Did you buy all of the bearings and bushings seperately/individually or as a kit? I'm hoping I do not have to order them one at a time...
  5. M

transmission slipping

In my case, yes it was warm and running. And I put in a new filter only a month ago.
  6. M

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

Hello - I'm going to be rebuilding my 5R55W soon.... did the kits you used include new bushings and bearings as well as all of the soft parts/clutches/steels? I'm hoping to find a kit that contains everything in one package.
  7. M

Who makes the best and most complete 5R55W rebuilt kit?

A month or so ago my original 5R55W went bang and for the most part quit driving.... so I bought a used trans from a local fellow on cragislist and installed it to keep it going for a while. I can tell its not all that great, so I'm going to be rebuilding my original 5R55W. Who makes the...
  8. M

transmission slipping

I had/have the same issue... "nursed" in about 1.5 qts... seemed to improve this by about 90%.... still happens on very hard stops. Not sure if adding fluid will help you, but it did for me.
  9. M

transmission slipping

Is this the only possibility? My fluid level is fine (I think) and it is having this exact same issue.
  10. M

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

The price was just for the bearing, a National 516008.. And I need to correct myself a just little.... $56.99 + tax = $60.41. I reused the hub and snap ring. Timing wise, it helps to have done something similar before.... just changed two of bearings about 4 months ago in the front of the...
  11. M

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

Just completed this repair today Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences, it helped me quite a bit in looking for possible trouble spots and to confirm the tools needed. I completed a change of my RR bearing this morning... took 2.5 hours including a trip to the hardware store for...
  12. M

5R55W Fluid Fill

Hi Guys - I have lurked on this site for a while.... lots of good stuff here! Yesterday I tackled a trans fluid change on my '02, which I picked up a few months ago. Thanks to the posters in this thread and my Ford service CD, I knew that I needed some way to put the fluid back in the...
  13. M

dipstick tube

I had to replace the one in my '02, 4.6L... and yes, I hate to tell you but I had to "all but" remove the exhaust manifold to get it installed. I say "all but" because I was able to loosen but not totally remove the two nuts on the front cylinder. The two nuts furthest forward and lowest are...
  14. M

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Yep. Mine fit well. But I did figure out that the upper control arm needed to be removed to get it installed.... I was able to press it out with the control arm in the vehicle - but there was not enough room to press it back in unless the A arm was removed. (sorry for the slow response)
  15. M

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Hello -first post here..... found this site to be full of good info about Explorers.... :thumbsup: Anyhow- I bought one of the cheap autozone ball joints (they have a lifetime warranty, so why not!) and much to my surprise inside the box was a Moog joint with a grease fitting. :D So go...
Back