Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

2008 Torque Converter compatible with 2003 Automatic Trans

I looked and I cannot find a straight answer. I have a 2003 2wd v6 explorer that I just had freshened up due to a nagging external head gasket leak. The 2003 Torque Converter is failing. It sounds like a rattling can. Will my torque converter from my old 2008 Automatic Trans v6 explorer...
  2. 0

Get what you pay for: front timing guide fail <11K miles

I cut corners and I'm paying the price. Only install the best. It's just not worth all the work to install anything else. 10,800 miles on this timing kit - which I won't name but it's not well known at all, unless you buy key parts on eBay. My bad. Triangle part of front guide broke...
  3. 0

Front lower control arm forward bushing - replaceable?

Lower control arm bushing front forward by 08EddieCA posted June 17, 2019 at 5:17 PMim trying to gather info so I can make a decision regarding buying new lca’s or replace the forward bushing.
  4. 0

Oil pump drive assembly- lift straight up?

I have a leak from an old failing oring on my oil pump drive assembly. It’s become an issue. Oil pump drive assembly by 08EddieCA posted April 7, 2019 at 4:19 PM Can I lift this part straight out of the seat that it sits in? I have a replacement oring. I can’t find any mention whether or...
  5. 0

CA Smog matter

No idea what this value represents by 08EddieCA posted February 26, 2019 at 1:56 PMNot ready for CA Smog....why? The following is a screen shot from my OBDii scanner. States not ready for smog. Can anyone interpret why this gizmo is saying this? Not ready for CA Smog....why? by 08EddieCA...
  6. 0

New to me 2003 with complex stereo, at idle car stalls until fuse disconnected

I bought a 2003 XLS with a complete sound system - two amps, to subs, four speakers, and a new head unit. When I bought the X it had a new Acdelco 130 amp alternator along with a dead battery. I put a new battery in it, connected the fuse, drove down the street, and it stalled - dead...
  7. 0

Prime a motor with a hand pump?

I have a hand pump, generic $7 pump, from Harbor Freight. I need to prime my motor before I start it. I dislike running my starter for extended periods. Can I connect the hand pump to the oil pressure sensor spot on the driver side of the block and pump in a quart or two of oil through...
  8. 0

transmission swap - 2008 AWD into a 2WD

Hello, I have a 2008 that has a new trans in it. The 08 is in need of some serious work and I just happened to buy a 2003 XLT 2WD. Since I just rebuilt the Trans in my 2008 4/AWD Explorer I want to put this trans into the 2003 XT Explorer 2WD. After looking at the transmission I can see...
  9. 0

Rear (RH) Timing Chain Tensioner - Anyone recognize this part# TC.40.A.302 40

Need some help. I've tried to search for the manufacturer of my rear timing chain tensioner. The tensioner has the following stamped on the lower collar of the body of the part. Part # TC.40.A.302 40. If you have any idea who the manufacturer is, I might be on my way to finding the source...
  10. 0

Exhaust in coolant/coffee-very dark milky oil - can I rule out cracked block

Hello, I'm concerned I have a cracked head or a bad head gasket or a cracked block. Coolant reeks of exhaust fumes and is darkened in color. . Upon changing my oil, the oil looked like coffee or really dark chocolate milk after 800 miles. A sample has been sent to Blackstone. The prior...
  11. 0

Rookie mistake - used upstream O2 sensors for all four sensors - lean code

Hello, Not my brightest moment. I installed four upstream 02 sensors on all four locations on my exhaust system. Could this be causing my constant lean code, O2 symptoms? I've replaced every vacuum line to the intake and the crank case tube and he fuel vapour hose that attaches to the top of...
  12. 0

My experience with E3 E3.53 plugs vs. Motorcraft plugs SP412

I wanted to send a message to the forum with my experience with E3 plugs in my 2008 V6 Explorer 4x4. Almost immediately after I installed the E3 spark plugs, I started to experience misfires. My gas mileage dropped 10% - 15% and my idle became very very rough (most likely due to misfires)...
  13. 0

Do I have to go to dealer for key code

Do I have to go to the dealer to get the code for the keypad on the exterior of the front door door?
  14. 0

Solved Misfire #4 after installing motorcraft OEM copper plugs

SOLVED***** Ok, I thought I was doing a good thing. I replaced the iridium plugs with a tune up care package I received from a family member at ford. #4 plug was difficult to remove. It came out and looked fine. When I was installing the new plug I looked at the old plug first. It...
  15. 0

New Front Pump 5R55S = must the trans be vertical to install the new pump

First, I'm not good with Transmissions. I can do the basic maintenance etc but not anything inside the trans. I may have a bad front pump for various reasons. Biggest reason is the TC may not have been seated properly and completely however I'm 99% sure the TC is seated fully. When I...
  16. 0

Warped Flexplate - shift engine forward or push back transmission

I installed a new motor and installed a new flex plate. Flex plate is warped. Had a few shops look at the truck and all came to the same conclusion. Except for the massive massive vibration that runs through the entire truck, at 2,700 rpms and higher, the starter is a the key to helping us...
  17. 0

New motor install - cross threaded driver side motor mount

My buddy and I installed a new motor into my 08 Eddie Bauer 4x4. He told me that he had trouble with the driver side motor mount horizontal screw. What I've since learned due to a LOT of resonance in the cabin is that he cross threaded that horizontal screw/bolt. I tried to get this...
  18. 0

Priming a new motor's oil pump

l need some direction. I have a new motor that needs to have the oil pump primed. According to the instructions from Ford (I did not get the motor from Ford) it states that you crank the motor for 15 seconds with a 30 second cool down in between cycles. I've read that others have forced...
  19. 0

Timing Cover - chewed by water pump - replace timing cover?

I had the usual squeak and chirp when the bearing failed. When I took off the water pump, I found the timing cover looking like this. And, the protruding part of the cover seems like it has been gouged. My concern is the pump won't be able to create the pressure needed to function properly...
  20. 0

Reuse one week old oil filter

I was schooled not to use 0/40 Castro Synthetic in my 4.0l. I'm replacing the Castro with Havoline Pro DS Synthetic (please don't say there's something wrong w this oil 5 quarts $21...) 5/30 in tomorrow morning. I have 120 miles on the current oil filter. Must I replace the oil filter? I...
  21. 0

Solved I only got Six Months on this tie rod

I was searching for a slight wiggle in the front end - ball joint, wheel bearing, etc. I wasn't expecting to find a brand new tie rod to have gone bad this quick. I bought this Mevotech about six months ago. Model MES80786. Probably didn't like all the desert driving. It looks like...
  22. 0

Delete Check Valve - one near firewall under hood

Ok, so I discovered I had my 5th broken check valve. I'm not cheap I just got tired of paying $4-$6 every time the plastic splits. I used a rubber sleeve and simply connected the two vacuum lines. Can you come up with a reason why I should not do this? Thanks. PS - clearing up vacuum leaks.
  23. 0

What do these mean, can't be good - head gasket?

I returned from a 900 mile trip to the Valley of Fire north of Vegas last night. Engine was running fine although it looked like it was running a little hotter than normal on the 12 mile incline south of Vegas on the 15 heading home. I turned off the AC and slowed down. Today I pulled the...
  24. 0

Split DVD Audio Output to the Rear Speakers W Sync - 2008 stock Eddie B

Hello, I have a challenge with my OEM DVD Entertainment System. My kids love to play their DVD's while on road trips. The Sync version in my Eddie B seems to have an option to turn on the head phones and split the audio output between the front and rear seating. What I'm trying to figure out...
  25. 0

got a new cel. But unsure if it's a cel.

NO Cell, at least it doesn't look like one... 0-42-0 control module voltage - 13.635 volt I can't find this think anywhere. Not in the manual and not online. I cannot even find a code. What is a control module and why flag it on my scanner, which gives no information... Help - thank you.
Back