Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Battery Life

I've got a 2014 XLT with 18K miles, bought used from a dealership a couple months ago. The battery failed the test on it's first service and without asking they popped a new BX-59 in there, under warranty thank you very much. I worry that my aftermarket amplifier killed the battery prematurely-...
  2. G

First experience at dealership service center

The photo flattens the depth of field but the adjustment screw is down in there about 5" below and just to the right and left of where you see "horizontal". I used a flash in the top picture to make it stand out more. In ambient light it's kind of in a black hole. Ok enough excuses :laugh:
  3. G

Winner! I found the adjustment point- looks completely different from the video- not even close, but the shape of the adjustment housing gave me the clue I needed. It's so easy to adjust I'm blown away that Galpin couldn't do it while the Ex was being serviced serviced. Halwg- they were indeed...
  4. G

Did- in my manual it shows a small diagram that doesn't match reality.
  5. G

lol- no not a troll post. I took a look at the diagram and the actual headlights looking from the top down and I couldn't see any reference point to match the two. I saw a couple screws way down in there that weren't accessible without removing stuff. I'd be grateful for any pointer on how to...
  6. G

Either you need little teeny tiny baby hands or you have to remove a bunch of that cowling in front. No time for that- to the dealership for warranty fix.
  7. G

I have not- and I will. Didn't occur to me but why the heck not?
  8. G

You could be right about that- I'm just going off what appeared to be happnening and I only tried it a few times as the high beams did nothing whatsoever to improve visibility- tried them, saw they failed and gave up. Taking and posting pics is more than I have time for- gonna be a busy week for...
  9. G

Haven't called others- I was hoping to be a loyal customer but the 3 week delay make it unlikely they'll be seeing much of me in the future. Part of me wants to deliver an ultimatum... fix it or never see me again. But that sort of thing almost never works the way you want it to.
  10. G

Hey all 3 months ago I got a used Explorer from a dealership, via a salesman that is a great friend of a friend- he got me a low mileage 2014 XLT with the 202A equipment package at a very decent price. I've only put about 4K miles on (has 18K now) but next week I'm going on a long road trip so...
  11. G

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Keepin hope alive!! I'll look into it- thanks again.
  12. G

Thanks Peter- I'm not even close to being past the warranty so there goes that idea :(
  13. G

Hey all- I just got a 2014 XLT. It came with the stock 245/60-18 Michelins that I'm planning on replacing with Michelin Premier LTX's. I'm also planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies soon and a little more clearance would be great for this and future road trips. If I replace the stock tires...
  14. G

2014 good bad or indifferent???

613GT500- thanks for those links. Styx- just an fyi for comparison- couple weeks ago I got a 2014 XLT, FWD with 202A package, 23 thousand kilometers for $29K U.S. Vehicle is truly in like new condition- was kept garaged and is immaculate. There was a recall announced last week...
  15. G

New Recall for 2014-15 Explorers

Thank you!!! Mine was built before the defective VINs. Phew.
  16. G

Just got off the phone with a service guy at my dealership. He said the VIN numbers haven't been released to the dealerships yet so nothing to do but wait.
  17. G

Bottom line is it could cause an accident. If it happened while driving the speed limit on a crowded freeway it could be very serious. If it happened on a mountain road it could be fatal. I drive on mountain roads a lot- losing the rear end at the peak of a turn with a 500 foot drop off a few...
  18. G

Just checked my VIN number at safecar.gov and it shows no recalls. Sync shows no recalls too. Anyone know if there's normally a delay between the announcement of the recall and the recall actually showing up in Sync or on that government website?
  19. G

Aftermarket audio idea- anyone tried this?

Drove around for a couple hours today pulling over every few minutes to adjust things. It sounds pretty darn good now and I'm sure this would make all but the most demanding audiophiles happy. Personally, I'd love to have an EQ but if that means dropping another thousand bucks or more even, I'll...
  20. G

Thanks for the info- going to take a look now. Very very interesting! I'm going to take some time to get used to the current system, adjust things as best I can and then decide if I need to ditch the factory head unit. Knowing I can retain all that functiionality... priceless. Thanks!
  21. G

Got the new stuff installed yesterday. My old Directed 4ch amp runs all the doors and I added custom box for a 12" sub, down firing/ported, and mono amp. The sub is where the 3rd row seats folded down- seats are now in storage (as planned). It's a big improvement but well short of my old car...
  22. G

Very nice! I'm not going to do this myself so I've been out getting some estimates. Right now I'm looking at these purchases: - adapter for output of head unit to RCA's for amp inputs - one amp for a subwoofer - subwoofer - 4x door components I already have a good 4 ch. amp for...
  23. G

Have any of you tried of heard of someone successfully installing only speaker and amp upgrades to a 5th gen Explorer? Keeping the factory head unit with all it's functionality in place? I've got a 2014 XLT/202A and am trying to figure out how to get the most bang for the buck in terms of a...
  24. G

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

The stereo... now there's a sore spot. The Pilot had superb after market sound (2 amps, 9 speakers, massive adjustability). I got the non-Sony premium and I really love the way it's integrated into the control center but the sound quality isn't there, to say the least. Eventually I will upgrade...
  25. G

New here and new to Ford

Used it as a trade-in, sad day on that topic. That old Pilot and I have been some places.... But 220K+miles, a small dent, time for new tires and then my mechanic said the coolant was low- pressure test showed no leak. Add that up and it was time. The really sad part is they're going to scrap...
Back