Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Another 4.0L OHV Build Thread (with 95TM heads)

ooo very cool wanna race? hah jk From what my research told me, Pacesetter and Heddman have heat disapation issues: causing excess heat under the hood robbing hp. I think i may be having the same problem with my Borlas, cuz once this thing has been running for hours, the heat under the...
  2. C

Recommended Off-Roading Mods

When it comes to the slick mud, washed out creeks, and narrow trails, a nice set of tires and 2wd locked is practically all you need... add in a lil bit of torque and it wont matter what you are driving anymore, you will look like this guy: :D
  3. C

Lean meat: 172 Lean code, checkin all my bases...

no camshaft sensor, just the oil pump drive.
  4. C

yep still chasing this one. Its a better now hah, the 172 code is gone and hasnt returned. I believe this is what tripped the code (for me): I found the hose at the throttle, for the canister purge to have massivily failed (big hole). Although, my plugs still scare me. I could get a...
  5. C

CEL On Banks 1&2 Lean! help?

...probably one of the hardest problems to find a prognosis for. There really is no single answer to this question as you can have single, simple issue, or a bunch of problems adding up to one massive cluster-****. Start where the code is pointing: are the o2 sensors telling you that the...
  6. C

93 Ranger overheating & running rough

Yeah, flush that thing. Most auto parts stores carry flushing chemicals like the Valvoline Super Flush. Follow the directions on the bottle, afterwards you can literally watch chunks of rust flow out of the drain-**** on the radiator. Does the heater blow hot air? Sometimes the rust will...
  7. C

fuel injector replacement - what brand?

man, a little while back i saw a deal on ebay... 6 new Bosch injectors in packaged to sell for ~$175 Seems to good to be true... As far as brands, i got like, all kinds of mix-matched aftermarket injectors stuffed in my fuel rail... i dunno about the injector guru's out there, I grabbed...
  8. C

need serious HELP! and advice- fuel system/ pressure problem?

I always see pressure raise towards 40 PSI after (priming) 2-3 turns of the key. If you pull the vacuum line off the FPR, pressure should sit at 41-45 PSI no matter the RPM (WOT). Under normal conditions, usually at idle i see ~35 PSI, at WOT it may drop a little towards 28-30 PSI.
  9. C

Oil in the radiator. lots of oil

Nothing other then another 4.0 driveline can dropped in as a direct replacement. A SOHC or a 5.0 OHV swap can be done with $$$ White smoke out the exhaust, excessive oil loss, oil in coolent, coolent in oil? haha, good indication of head gasket failure and/or cracked heads. If you are...
  10. C

92 with pinging / coolant loss / jumping temp

It could be the lower intake, I wouldnt immediatly suspect head gasket, if that were the case it would be known! You wouldn’t be able to keep coolant in that thing... Worst case scenario: cracked head. Compression test and a coolant pressure test could help diagnose this. As for the...
  11. C

Help 4.56 gears

Accu is good if you find them at the right time, they run deals like twice a month, every now and again those prices dip as low as you will find them anywhere. For 4.56 gears you will bearly need one, you can grind the inside 1/16" of the gear to fit the shaft, or get the modifed shaft from...
  12. C

HELP! Erratic idle/surge problem is worse!

You can test the vacuum using a gauge to help diagnose leaks and where they are comming from. I would suspect leaks between the MAF and the throttle. Is it the stock intake tube? they are known to crack around the 'joint areas,' where the tube makes bends around the accessories/battery/ect...
  13. C

M5OD to M5ODHD in a 91

someone here has done this swap in a first gen? who was it? i remember reading about it being pretty straight forward. I thought i also remember reading that the internals are the same on the HD unit, it was the housing that was beefed up to handle the added torquage of the SOHC. i might...
  14. C

Rocker arm tick - Experiences?

Unless you see a rocker that’s not touching its valve, then there probably isn’t anything wrong with the hydraulic lifter. Worst case scenario, you would end up spending somewhere around $500 to replace the broken lifter and rocker arms. $150 for the felpro head gasket set, $250 for the rocker...
  15. C

Relacing stoch temp & oil press. gauges

I dont have any knowledge on the mechanical gauges, i just wish the stock ones showed actual numbers instead of N O R M A L. haha Not sure what you can do for the coolant gauge, i'm sure there is some kind of aftermarket stuff out there. This is what you can do to convert the factory oil...
  16. C

Just something to watch for, Oil pressure sending unit vulnerable..

holy crap, I bet with a body lift this problem is even more magnified. Never even saw this, and yes that sensor is basically open to whatever finds its way up there. Post a picture of whatever you come up with.
  17. C

Tach Stuck

Check out this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129889&highlight=Tach
  18. C

misfiring/rough idle please, any advice?

Ummm hmmm.. My first thought is compression, Ignition maybe, plugs are good, wires are good, maybe coil pack? I wish i could tell you how to test this, i know it cant be too hard with a simple volt-meter. I'd like to see if you can check the compression on all the cylinders, make sure...
  19. C

What's the slot in the center console for?

Ford put that there for all their stoner customers, so they remember where they keep their weed.
  20. C

As far as i can tell, the wires from the 02 sensor the computer are intact. I havent completely traced them down, but i have traced it from the sensor, past the coil pack and fuel injectors, upto where the engine harness meets the chassis harness. This is where i was getting my readings from...
  21. C

The crack was actually parellel to one of the intake runners, actually on the opposite side (top side) of the head. It could of been possible i was burning coolant aswell. It seems pretty logical that i may have poisoned the oxygen sensor, so i did indeed just replace it with a new unit...
  22. C

I Can't Seal up the 8.8 for the life of me!

Yo, thanks yall. Yeah 25-35ftlbs seemed like way too much to me. The one thing that is concerning me is the ridge that is cut around the circumference of the cover. This gully is filled with RTV from the factory, in the past i simply used the razor to get this surface flush with the rest...
  23. C

Replacing heads on a 4.0 OHV...

Only way to really tell will be to remove the heads =P Check out the condition of the cylinders, check around the top of the cylinder, see if you can feel a ridge. Also look at the cross-hatching on the walls, can you see any vertical lines? Too much vertical scorching will make it easier for...
  24. C

Yep she’s running lean, the question is... why? The last time I rebuilt the top-end of this motor was a few weeks ago, prior to that was January (yeah three months between rebuilds, Hey I’m pretty good at it now). Ill try and explain the sequence of events. I removed the heads in Jan to...
  25. C

I Can't Seal up the 8.8 for the life of me!

Heh... This feels like a stoopid question. I’m not sure what I'm doing wrong here! hehe, and Mobil1 synthetic gear oil has a tendency to inflict trauma on my wallet. A week or so ago I discovered a small, small leak from the cover of my 8.8. I was like... 'Ok, I’m fixing that,' and went...
Back