Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Lean meat: 172 Lean code, checkin all my bases...

Yep she’s running lean, the question is... why? The last time I rebuilt the top-end of this motor was a few weeks ago, prior to that was January (yeah three months between rebuilds, Hey I’m pretty good at it now). Ill try and explain the sequence of events. I removed the heads in Jan to...
  2. C

I Can't Seal up the 8.8 for the life of me!

Heh... This feels like a stoopid question. I’m not sure what I'm doing wrong here! hehe, and Mobil1 synthetic gear oil has a tendency to inflict trauma on my wallet. A week or so ago I discovered a small, small leak from the cover of my 8.8. I was like... 'Ok, I’m fixing that,' and went...
  3. C

Low, Low idle: got an idea?

Heres the deal, In the past i had issues with my engine's RPM surging downward towards 500-600 rpm, sometimes equating into a stall. Replacing the IAC with a new motorcraft unit seemed to fix the surging part, but the RPM at idle still has a tendacey to get low once the truck has warmed up...
  4. C

What weighs more?

Wasssssup?! :afro: Which is the heavier front-end? An Early Bronco LP Dana 44? Or a custom TTB set up, similar to what Camburg sells or what 410Fortune is running on his BII? I’m guessing the EB 44 :D But do you know by how much? The weight difference of these two front ends is a...
  5. C

What oil to use to lube o-rings on a factory R-12 system

I've done some research reguarding converting to R-134a, but what it has come down to is its going to be cheaper for me to simply stick to R-12. Some of you may be thinking that i 'would save so much more in the long run by just converting.' In reality, my girlfriends dad is licenced to own...
  6. C

Stalling after downshift

Hello I've had this problem for a while now, since before my motor rebuild. Originally I figured It was something that would magically get fixed with the new build, but it didnt hehe. The problem occurs after downshifting while comming to a stop. Example: Slowing from 45mph, Ill...
  7. C

Main bearing clearences.

Whats up guys, I got my engine back from my machinest the other day, and im in the middle of getting things togeather. (i got some awesome pics ill be posting in my thread later). I've been measuring these bearings with plastigauge, and things are comming out a little on the tight...
  8. C

Borla headers and O2 sensors

Hey guys, I recently bought a set of borla headers for my engine build project, and one thing has got my concern. My 92 has only one O2 sensor, which is positioned where the exhaust goes from two to one before the cats. The borla headers have two bungs for the O2 sensors positioned...
  9. C

Pilot bearing ate my input shaft (M5R1)

Just like what the title says, my pilot bearing went to shards, leaving the tip of my input shaft (m5r1) to grind itself a nice groove. This is what was left of the pilot bearing... haha, you get the idea. I don’t think they make oversized pilot bearings. Do you think it’s worth...
  10. C

Back-yard tranny/transfercase bench testing.

While i got my tranny out, Is there a safe way to go about bench testing my tranny and t-case? All i want to do is spin the input shaft so i can pint point where a whine is comming from. I can spin it by hand, but i can't spin it fast enough to REALLY hear where its comming from, i guess im...
  11. C

Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport

As much as I dream about v8 swaps, and the amount research I force myself to do, it’s almost like I can just tell myself, "I kind of know what I'm doing, I should just do it" That’s simply bad hindsight, I need something a tad closer to earth for me. Sure, a carbed 289/302 swap would be...
  12. C

4.0 OHV 90TM/93TM Head port match, tips?

I searched around for some 'tips' on port and polishing the heads on my 4.0. I remember a thread while back where Doug904 was talking about being careful with the exhaust runners. "If you do port the heads on the pre-98's don't remove the exhaust bumps in the ports, you'll find holes...
  13. C

BW 1350 Chain the same as the 1354 chain?

RockAuto and simular shops market CLOYES Part # 10022 as the chain needed for my '92 BW 1354. The problem is... Cloyes advertises this chain for the BW 1350? Are the two chains interchangable?
  14. C

Running cool? maybe its just me?

Hey guys, two weeks ago I flushed out my cooling system using Valvoline's 'Super Cleaner.' My cooling system was full of rust (caked on worse then the mud in the rear bumper) and in turn my heater died. After using the cleaner my heater started working instantly; practically all of the rust...
  15. C

Interesting rattling, clutch related?

'92, 5-speed. Hehe, i tried searching but i guess i suck at it. The other day i was pulling into my friends driveway, when this thing started making this rattling noise. It would stop when i compress/depress the clutch petal; it almost seemed like it wasn't dependent on whether or not i was...
  16. C

Gimmie some love, Check my gear pattern! again!

Whats uuuupp guys. I just finished setting up my gears for my dana 35. Im 99.99% certin its good, but i wanted to post pictures of it anyway hehe take a gander, tell me whats on yr mind.
  17. C

Lubing the Speedo cable? The bouncing speedometer…

I bought a new speedo cable a to fix my bouncy speedo. The speedo gear is new, and the gauge was smooth when i spun it by hand, so im gussing its the cable :D How do i lubercate this thing? I cant seem to figure it out..? The directions say to lubercate it, and to make sure not to get...
  18. C

How to: Install Ford 8.8" gears

With all the questions recently like 'can I install my own gears?' or 'can I swap to an open carrier from a LSD unit?' I figured it was appropriate time to bring this up for everyone to benefit from. I made this post in a thread a while back, in effort to enlighten the thread on what is...
  19. C

93 PCM swapped in a 92?

Does anyone know if the 93 PCM will directly swap into the 92 harness? Stock, 1992 model explorers were equipped with 145 hp. 1993 model year was matched to 160 hp. Im guessing if i used the 93 computer, i might be entitled to an extra 15 hp? Since ill be putting some life back into...
  20. C

Corrosion in the coolent

CDW, i remember you telling me about a anti-corrosive that i can put into my coolent to help fight corrosion. My main question is, what is what causes corrosion in the cooling system? What can i do to put it to rest completely? Ill have the heads off my motor here soon and wanted to go about...
  21. C

Parking brake falls to the floor

Whats up guys. My parking brake is dead. Everything in the rear brakes is new and adjusted to full braking power as of last week. My braking power is great, petal is nice and responsive. Parking brake worked fine up until this morning, where it just went straight to the floor with 0...
  22. C

Removing stock D35 pumpkin

Issue: Front third member wont detach from driverside beam. Beam still attached to the truck. I did a search and didnt find much, so I figured i start a thread. There was a post from NOTAJP where he stated pull straight back to get the pumpkin off. HEHE its not comming. Crow-bar, hammer...
  23. C

Bare '77 F150 Dana 44 housing: ?'s

I figured I’d get straight of the heart of things and dive into a straight axle upfront. I don’t plan on making this a quick swap in, swap out deal; I just want to take my time with it. Now I found what I’m looking for, 20 minutes from my house the J-Yard wants $75 bucks for the bare...
  24. C

Helping minimalize the super vibrations (60-80mph)... you know whats up

Like all of us that own First Generation explorers, there seems to be an issue with an excess amount of vibrations associated with speeds around 60-80 mph on the highway. This Sunday I took my truck in to get aligned at Tire Kingdom, it was the technician there brought up something...
  25. C

Brown coolent?

Im not having any problems, everything is normal... except i went to replace my thermostat and flush the coolent a couple weeks back i noticed everything in the cooling system was coated with a light brown color, sorta a milky brown. The coolent itself was this milky brown. My initial thought...
Back