Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Name that putrid burning smell...

As far as I know, It's just a super low-tech cable release on the ebrake.
  2. M

By the way, it's been shifting fine.
  3. M

When I say that I've known the power steering has been going for a while, I mean that it has that characteristic droning noise that gets worse when I turn the wheel.
  4. M

2003 Explorer V8 Limited AWD 192K on the body 100k on the motor 25k on the transmission Ok so I've got a slew of problems with my explorer... - needs various steering and suspension parts, not gonna list them all unless requested - ps pump - ps pressure line - ps return line I've known...
  5. M

Liftgate water leak

Samesies
  6. M

Has anyone tried to add a keyless entry pad to the passenger side or lift gate area?

2003 Limited V8 I always leave my key in the car because of the number pad on the door. It's my exclusive method for locking/ unlocking. But I also always try to go into the passenger side or lift gate and forget the vehicle is locked so I end up circling the car to unlock it and then...
  7. M

Searching for an OEM Weatherstripping Kit

I want to redo as much of my explorer's weather stripping as possible, and I would like to avoid using generic stuff unless that's the best option.
  8. M

Liftgate water leak

I have the same exact problem, and cannot pinpoint the source of the leak. Did you resolve this?
  9. M

No Crank

To wrap this up, the original fuse that I found blown, as a result of the mis-routed O2 sensor rubbing on the front drive shaft, was the whole problem. My research indicated that the fuse was less important than it is, so I planned to have the shop that did my exhaust fix the fuse and sensor...
  10. M

No Crank

@imp I've got the transceiver and pcm in hand. I still need to patch up the door wires, but I'm ready to get started. I watched some (poor quality) videos about pats transceiver R/R on other fords, and looked for videos on steering column disassembly for the 3rd gen, but I came up empty. If...
  11. M

No Crank

I have ordered this set from eBay, so I'll start testing new parts systematically once they arrive. I'll also patch/ solder/ heat shrink/ gaff tape the door loom to solidify that situation, once I can get some supplies.
  12. M

No Crank

I patched all the wires with alligator clips, and still no start. Also, message center system check still reads error for all systems.
  13. M

No Crank

Big update on this: - I have been dealing with an intermittent door ajar for a year +, so a while back I watched this video by @TechGuru but never got around to chasing this down. Sometimes the car thinks the door is open. No big deal. - I pulled the boot back on the door wiring and found...
  14. M

No Crank

I agree, I see it as possibly a pats issue or maybe pcm. I don't know how to test for either. Another thing, message center displays error messages "... Data error" for everything when I go into setup.
  15. M

Issues with PCM and PATS

Any resolution to this problem?
  16. M

02 mountaineer error message

Did you solve this? I have same error on all message center parameters, and a no crank condition. I suspect possible bad ground in drivers door or bad pcm
  17. M

No Crank

Second quick update: I can jump the starter by keying the ignition "on" and then crossing the power wires. It'll turn over but won't start. Also, I found the fuse #41 blown, and the o2 sensor had been contacting the drive shaft and rubbed bare. I haven't replaced this fuse yet.
  18. M

No Crank

@imp Update: - removed and charged battery - removed ground cable closest to battery on body, cleaned both ends, post and nut. Tests solid ground. - removed ground strap from block, shortened and cleaned bolt, cleaned both ends of strap, Cleaned post, sanded engine block. Installed...
  19. M

No Crank

Can anyone tell me what the ground wire going from the rear of the engine block to the firewall, passenger side is for? This cable is bolted to my engine block, but the bolt is not cranked down all the way, it's backed out probably 1/2-3/4". I can move the cable back and forth on the bolt...
  20. M

No Crank

Battery terminals *look* fine. I have thought for a while that it's a bad ground somewhere, but it could easily be a rotten wire off the battery that *looks* okay from the outside. And yes, @imp is wise! He's some of the glue that holds this forum together. So many of his posts on here have...
  21. M

No Crank

Yeah, they're pretty dim at the moment. But the vehicle doesn't respond to a jump start either.
  22. M

No Crank

Battery tested at 11.5 this morning, after having sat for two weeks. I think the slightly low voltage can be attributed to me opening and closing the doors, keying the ignition, accessories coming on etc. When I turn the key to start, the voltage drops to 11.45-11.39, but there's no crank...
  23. M

No Crank

Hi Explorers.. 2003 Limited V8, AWD New starter, strong battery. Turn the key and nothing happens. PATS light continues to blink every 2 seconds with or without the key. For a while before this I would have a problem where turning the key would do nothing for 1..2..3 seconds and then...
  24. M

Ignition lock cylinder removal with PATS

There is absolutely no change in the blinking light on my dash when the ignition is keyed on vs when the key is removed. Also, my wifi obdii dongle has always been finicky, but now I can't connect to it at all. My phone and laptop both connect to the wifi network it creates, but they can't...
Back