Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Time for tires

Recently had Michelin Defenders put on. The Premier tire reviews were mediocre at best - and to be honest the Defenders fit the NorthEast climate just a tad better. So far they are miles ahead of the Hankooks they replaced. I was at 29k miles. Ride quality is better, handling is a little...
  2. T

Running Board Installation Lift

None, for the OEM boards anyway. It took me about an hour to complete. Use threadlocker if installing the OEM boards. Trust me.
  3. T

Steering Problems

Pretty sure you have voided your warranty. I mean, they can’t guarantee a steering fault when you purposely modified the way the car steers and handles. What you can do, if you have the old parts (most modders keep parts) is put the old parts back on and hope for the best.
  4. T

The need for Rotor Screws?

While the screw is probably unnecessary, I keep mine on with all cars. It helps keep the rotor seated well while doing brake work. A small tip, get an impact screwdriver for the initial removal. You should be able to knock it out with a punch or two. If you want to reinstall it, put some...
  5. T

2015 Rack and Pinion

It was the whole rack. It’s electronic so not really much choice, you will want OEM. They initially swapped end links and mounts. Didn’t help. Take it to the dealer and pay the diagnostic fee. I don’t recall seeing a TSB or anything.
  6. T

2015 Rack and Pinion

I had this same issue at 15k miles. It was replaced through the dealer, but to be honest, I think they just replaced everything because they couldn’t find the root cause. My 2015 has 24k miles now and I’m sure it will happen again. We have a couple cars though so not too worried about it.
  7. T

What tire pressure are you running?

37 cold. Any more than that and the suspension starts making noises and the handling is affected. You aren’t going to see MPG gains that are worth it with higher psi.
  8. T

Best place to buy Rotors / Pads?

Peter, Often times these OEM part suppliers advertise lower prices while adding a handling charge. They almost always even out to rock auto pricing. The best place to buy parts for any car is the place that can get them to you the soonest without breaking the bank. If that’s Rock Auto, so...
  9. T

OEM Running Boards Install Assistance

Don’t want to be that guy, but it took me a little over an hour to figure it out. The instructions are pretty clear, start with one side and apply to the other. It’s like putting together IKEA furniture. If it’s too tough, let the dealer do it for you. Before doing so make sure you have all...
  10. T

Running Boards - DeeZee and Others

I’ll share my experience with the OEM running boards from Ford. I didn’t want them, but my wife and in laws are all short. My kids are still very young. It’s now harder for me to get in and out, but they all love it. Good news is that the Explorer is not my primary vehicle. Install was easy...
  11. T

Needed Rotors - but got hub and disc assembly- Is that right?

The part number should be listed. Look it up at ford parts. Having a hub replaced at the same time could be possible if there was a problem with it, they could have tested it while the rotors were off the car.
  12. T

So long 2013, hello 2015.

Wondering if I got a good deal on my 15. I bought in 16 though with 10k miles. It’s the appearance package with sunroof, suede seats and 20in rims. Paid 31k then. Did not buy from a ford dealer, it was a trade in at a caddy dealer.
  13. T

Broken Outside Mirror

For those who want to replace the turn signal, it’s possible. I’ve done it before. You have to remove the glass while it’s still on the car as it’s easiest while on. Then you take the whole assembly off the vehicle and go to town. You will have to remove the motor. I would suggest getting the...
  14. T

HELP!!!.... How to junp start a 2016 Platinum?

Interesting. Can you snap a pic of where it came loose? Ground wires coming loose on a new vehicle is weird.
  15. T

HELP!!!.... How to junp start a 2016 Platinum?

Sounds like you have bigger problems then jumping a battery. Can you jump it using another car instead?
  16. T

2012 Ford Explorer driver side windshield wiper

You don’t want to squeeze too hard. Soflty do so until there is some minor play in the bracket.
  17. T

2012 Ford Explorer driver side windshield wiper

I have on my 2015 Explorer. Cant remember if it was the driver or passenger side though. To remedy it, you can probably do one of two things. I used a vice grip with a towel wrapped around the arm while the wiper is installed. Then I squeezed it together. If this doesnt work for you then a...
  18. T

2016+ Raptor Style Grille and Hella Horn swap

The Hella mod is interesting - might consider it for my 15. Too bad there isnt a plug and play harness though. The stock horn sucks, especially in NYC.
  19. T

Blind spot mirror

I have a tiny blind spot on my xlt. Do you set your side view mirrors properly? They should be set outwards to eliminate the blind spots. I’ve taught many friends and family how to do this. http://seniordriving.aaa.com/improve-your-driving-skills/prepare-drive/how-use-adjust-your-mirrors/
  20. T

Got 2 letters from Ford

Got ya! Would it be helpful for the foums if I posted my letter to share?
  21. T

Got 2 letters from Ford

Peter, Neither is a 'recall' - but they are FSA's under the customer satisfaction program that are to be repaired at no charge. Both letters state this.
  22. T

Interior Door panel issue / separation

My 2015 Ex is at the dealer now getting this issue serviced. Will post back once complete. Also getting the carbon monoxide FSA done. Showed the service writer the letter I received - guess he is informed now.
  23. T

I have discussed this with Ford, electronically, and was informed that letters will be mailed out to all owners with this FSA. In addition, per the rep: "I see this Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) addresses an issue if the front door panel material becomes loose at the top of the panel...
  24. T

Okay - this recent FSA 17N04 is silly. I have this issue with my Ford (as stated earlier in the thread). However, why would you post an FSA on a 2015 car, which was produced in 2014, in November of 2017? Surely most models were produced before then and are out of the 3 year/36k Warranty. I...
  25. T

A8 SD Card for Navigation

Well, even with my CS background, I cant explain that to you. My guess is that somewhere the write protection is being bypassed at some point when you insert it into the PC and then it eventually corrects itself during diagnostic checks once you put it back into the sync system.
Back