Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Throttle body / limp mode / ECU issue?

I don't really know what's wrong with my car, but it's happened since I bought it new -- but it was super rare like maybe once or twice per year. Always when going up hills when accelerating from a stop or from a slow speed. The steeper the hill, the easier it is to repro. Last couple weeks...
  2. K

Considering ECU tune (livernois)

My 2017 Sport is out of warranty now though I have a 10 year extended and I'm well under par for mileage. Since the day I bought this car, I haven't had anything officially break down, yet. But I've always been unsatisfied with a terrible ECU programming. Harsh sudden downshifts, etc. Damn...
  3. K

Driver touch doesn't unlock rear doors

Fob double unlock unlocks all doors. Passender side touch unlocks all doors. Unlock button inside driver door unlocks all doors. Driver side touch unlocks only front doors It wasn't always like this. It just started acting up recently. I perused various setting screens and couldn't find...
  4. K

Clunky shifting especially up hills

I'm scheduling service for this, but I'm not sure what the problem is. But here's the behavior that's exhibiting. Maybe someone can help diagnose this? I'm still under warranty, so should be all good: The car is still driving, usually quite fine, but frequently shifting while accelerating has...
  5. K

2017 Sport (Smoked Quartz) paint chipping too easily?

I've owned a lot of cars of various brands over the years, but since I bought my new Explorer a year and a half ago, I've noticed an abnormally high amount of chipping, and with this color, the chips really stand out (bright white underneath) I only have 20,000kms on it and I've got at least a...
  6. K

2017 Max Defrost button doesn't seem to do what I want it to do...

In the morning, when there is frost on my windows... I hit the Max Defrost button and it's basically ignored. I normally keep it on Auto climate. Anyways, I can manually crank the fan and temperature and then set it back to auto when everything is good. So the HVAC is working fine... it just...
  7. K

2018 configurators are live (Canada)

Expedition and Explorers -- Just FYI. I am glad I got smoked quartz on my 2017. Seems to be the only year that color was available.
  8. K

New Sync3 version?

I drove the car this morning, and suddenly noticed some differences: My audio connection showed Spotify as an explicit entry -- usually it's just a bluetooth connection of my phone. My backup beeps are definitely new. Maybe even my startup sound too... can't confirm that yet. I didn't force...
  9. K

Separate wheels/tpms, definitive edition for 2016+ explorers.

There are many threads and questions about reprogramming tpms if you have a dedicated winter set of tires. And of course, this is the time of year everyone is getting set up. With the 2016+ Explorer, they introduced a display mode that shows individual tire pressure. Older models don't have...
  10. K

Reliability website

It's www.truedelta.com I'm not affiliated with them in any capacity, but I've been using it for the past couple years as a non-paying member. It's free if you sign up and answer quarterly questions about your odometer and any repairs on your cars. So basically it's a member contributed...
  11. K

Holy Raptor!

Can configure them now. Last fall when I bought the Explorer Sport, I knew the Raptors were incoming and I briefly considered a luxury trim F150. But couldn't get past the wood panels inside, so Explorer Sport was my only option. But now that the Raptors are out, I figured I'd see how expensive...
  12. K

Turning car off with wipers on....

Aren't the front & rear wipers supposed to park when you turn off the car? Right now I hit the push button to turn off the car. The wipers stop right where they are -- both front and back. This seems unusual. Maybe I messed something up when I installed my dashcam? I've got a 2017 Explorer...
  13. K

2017 Explorer (Sport)-- precise wheel specifications?

I cannot find this anywhere. It might be in the owner's manual somewhere, for a lack of trying to search it. The car is so new, that I'm having troubles trying to purchase wheels with guaranteed fitment online. My assumption is the 2016s and 2017s are completely identical, but there are always...
  14. K

Clunky acceleration?

2017 Explorer Sport, 1000km on it today, almost all of it city driving. I first noticed past weekend when wife drove, she pulled out to do a U-turn and I thought she was driving badly... was like she couldn't control the power and was hitting the gas and letting off, hitting the gas, letting...
  15. K

Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017)

Note: I've reposted this from another nearly unrelated thread. This is more of a "how I did it" thread, rather than asking a question. So it's taken a little while mostly piecemeal to get this thing setup properly, with a vacation in between. But first, let me tell you about this dashcam. The...
  16. K

Adaptive cruise control + collision warning with brake assist

I've had my 2017 Explorer for a week now and really liking these features. Before I bought it, I didn't get to experience them and was unsure how they would work in practice. And so far, I'm really liking these features. So I'd thought I'd share for the others that might be wondering how this...
  17. K

2017 Explorer Fuse Box (looking for 12V constant power) for dashcam

Wow. Found the fuse box buried deep under the driver side. Super awkward to get to. Has anyone tried to power a dashcam directly to the fuse box using fuse splitters? I've got a Thinkware F750 which is special because it can detect a bump even when the car is off to catch those parking lot hit...
  18. K

2017 Explorer Sport picked up!

Just got mine yesterday in Vancouver BC. It seems I got lucky. I test drove in July, waffled about whether I wanted or not because I was still cross shopping and didn't pull the trigger because the interest rates in Ford Canada were 3.99%, even though the price was right. It came down between...
  19. K

What are the biggest problems with the 2016/2017 Explorers?

I heard a bunch of 2016s had problems with the throttle body's failing and causing cars to go into limp mode. Seems to be a problem only with naturally aspirating engines and not the EcoBoosts and apparently it was only in a small window of production that had the issues. Also 2017s now have...
  20. K

2017 Ford Explorer Platinum (test drive)

Hi I just test drove this car yesterday, and despite my perceptions of Ford, I was very impressed with the car. Totally loaded, it's about $55k Canadian and while it's not as nice or refined as the 2017 Audi Q7, the Q7 is over $80k. So saving $25k to make a few sacrifices is definitely worth...
  21. K

2017 Explorer Platinum (Canadian-BC) best price?

Hi, a stock black platinum explorer comes out to $55,908 with the Ford Employee pricing. With the options and color that I want, it goes up to $56,955 after employee pricing but before Costco discount. Because I live in BC, there is a auto luxury tax that kicks in at $55k that quickly becomes...
Back