Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

1996 Explorer XLT: Rear Frame "issues"

In pictures 5 and 7 it looks like your driver-side frame rail, where it goes up over the rear axle, is rotted out - as in almost completely gone except for a few thin slivers of metal remaining. If that's the case I'd say it's sagging because the frame is no longer supporting the weight of the...
  2. T

Lifting the Vehicle from the Body?

Ok, I was thinking about how the 2 guys there that day were pretty young, and probably aren't used to seeing these "old-fashioned" SUVs much these days haha. Thanks for the confirmation.
  3. T

Lifting the Vehicle from the Body?

I took the Explorer in for its annual state safety/emissions inspection that requires removing a front wheel to check the condition of the front brakes. The technician came in from the service bay to tell me he didn't think they'd be able to complete the inspection because my "pinch welds are...
  4. T

1993 ABS Codes - No Faults Then Suddenly Many Codes

I took a closer look around the sensors and the control module and didn't see any suspect wiring. I picked up a reman'd module from the the parts store. I still get a lot codes but now half of them are different. I lost 17 and 31, but gained 41, 42, and 55: 11 - ECU Failure 32 - Front...
  5. T

After market radio problems

So you do have a factory subwoofer? So you don't have a factory subwoofer, but want to put one in the storage space? So you do have a factory subwoofer, but want to get rid of it for the storage space? I'm really not sure what it is your looking to do, subwoofer-wise. If your new...
  6. T

I didn't see any wires that looked compromised when I was last poking around there, but it was getting late so I will take a closer look with better light when I get a chance. I'm pretty sure everything is intact though. Between the multitude of codes so suddenly and the inconsistency that I'm...
  7. T

clutch finally went, anybody have part# for the slave?

I'd also be interested in knowing if there are metal plugs that are a direct replacement. Mine have leaked pretty badly a few times; I've coated them with RTV and reinstalled with good results overall but a more durable solution would be nice. As for the slave cylinder, I paid $130 at my...
  8. T

Did you look at the diagrams for Ford in that link? The connectors for premium sound, with the rectangular connector for power and the black square connector for audio to the external amplifier are in there.... Even aftermarket speakers are going to sound like junk if you amplify the audio...
  9. T

Diagrams in the link above will help you identify which wires will be supplying power to the new radio, and which ones feed the audio signal to the factory external amplifier. You could retain the external amplifier by feeding it audio from the low-level pre-amp outputs (usually in the form of...
  10. T

Never had a fault with the ABS in 22 years. ABS functioned properly last time it was driven; parked it for 3 days, now the ABS light remains lit after turning the key to ON with multiple fault codes. I did some searching but most threads on ABS issues seem to end inconclusively so figured...
  11. T

Body Mount Brackets

I did a little reconnaissance in nearby parking lots over the past couple days; I found an early and late 2nd-gen Explorer and checked the brackets. Both were of a different style than the 1st-gen, and welded on to those frames anyway. So newer Explorers (for that bracket at least) are not...
  12. T

Need Body Mount Bracket Info

I found a '96 in another lot just by chance and it too was welded to the frame. So much for that idea! Thanks anyway.
  13. T

Need Body Mount Bracket Info

I'm trying to find out if the body mount brackets located mid-way between the wheels, under the front seats, on an early 2nd-gen Explorer are welded or riveted on to the frame. I need to replace one on my '93, but there are very few 1st-gen Explorers left in the northeast to get parts from...
  14. T

Body Mount Brackets

Yeah I guess I'm going to try to find a part-out on Craigslist first. Good to know 2nd-gens might work too since that's primarily all that's left here in the northeast. Luckily I'm not afraid of the rivets... I've got plenty of experience removing them after replacing the radius arm...
  15. T

Body Mount Brackets

That's what I was afraid of. I'd find someone that can weld a new top plate on mine but it would probably be easier for me to find a used one. Any idea if second generation Explorer brackets are the same?
  16. T

Body Mount Brackets

Are replacements available anywhere? Specifically I need the one that's at the mid-point on the frame, driver's side, directly under the driver's door handle (on a 4-door at least). I've searched on here, eBay, and the internet in general but haven't found much information. I was able to find...
  17. T

Pulled Engine with Torque Converter Attached: Did we Break Anything?

Yeah I think I remember it coming apart easily back in the fall, but I'm all about doing anything I can as a precaution now before everything gets bolted back in. In an input seal something that's doable at home or will we need to drag it to a transmission shop? Is that seal my main concern or...
  18. T

Pulled Engine with Torque Converter Attached: Did we Break Anything?

Admittedly working with automatics is completely foreign territory for me; all my projects have always been manuals. I was helping my brother pull the engine out of his automatic project and, not knowing any better, left the torque converter attached to the engine like I would a clutch. Now...
  19. T

Battery Light On, Yet Alternator is Charging?

Good info! Yeah it's been 3 years now since I posted about this problem... I last posted that the problem disappeared but that only remained true for about a year, maybe year and a half. Since then it's been mostly on again, occasionally staying off some days or flashing back and forth at...
  20. T

'97 5-Speed Swap into '90 Auto?

Ok good to know; we'll see what happens.
  21. T

Good to know! I could have sworn the pedal assembly (and many other parts) under my '93 Explorer looked very different than in the '90 Ranger but it's been a while. Still good to know about the firewall change when searching in the future. Unfortunately this means it probably makes more...
  22. T

Ok I think I did read that thread a while back in the Explorer forum. A little rewiring doesn't scare me after swapping a fuel-injected engine into my carb'd Jeep a couple years ago. Now I'm just wondering how close the pedal assembly will be from a 3rd-gen Ranger with later dash into a...
  23. T

Ok cool good to know. I didn't notice a thread about a 3rd-gen 5-speed into a 2nd-gen automatic Ranger so I'll have to look again. About the wiring harness; are you referring to the fact that the current auto is electronically controlled and the PCM might not be happy that a manual is there...
  24. T

We have a '90 2.3L Auto Ranger and have been talking about wanting to swap in a 5-speed if we can find a cheap donor. Just spotted a '97 2.3L 5-speed with a blown engine on the Craigslist for a few hundred bucks. Wondering if the transmission would directly swap to the engine and if the pedal...
  25. T

8 spark plugs on 4 cylinder??

I regularly get 20-21 mpg in my '93 Explorer on the highway. I don't do anything special other than keep up on the maintenance, use cruise control, and keep it to 70 mph. Having 3.27 gears probably helps a bit also. City I only get about 14 though.
Back