Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

Dropping tranny tomorrow - advice?

Nope, haven't done much with it for the last couple days. Saving up some cash to get a bleeder kit and a few other things before I attempt to bleed the slave again.
  2. Z

Man I keep getting air back in the system somehow. I can't figure out where it's coming in because every component is brand new but when I bleed the slave I just get continuous air bubbles. I'm thinking maybe the bleeder tube I'm using doesn't have a good enough seal and is just leaking air...
  3. Z

That's odd. The part should be brand new.. Mine had paper covering the thrust bearing - it was nice and shiny when I took it off, with no signs of wear. I bought the PowerTorque one from Oreilly. The Luk one should be better quality, maybe they did test it before selling. I have no idea. That...
  4. Z

Yes I used the quick connect with retaining clip. I had just gotten back from an off-road mission to this swimming spot which was extremely bumpy - so I'm guessing it became loose and popped out when got on the highway and shifted into fourth (was a bit heavy footed when I hit the clutch pedal)...
  5. Z

Yeah the line popped off and melted. Then blew when I pressed the pedal to shift.
  6. Z

Soooo.. My hydraulic line blew up. If you're going to replace the slave you might as well do the master cylinder and hydraulic line as well because they will end up going out in no time. My best guess as to why, is that there's too much pressure from the new part for the old parts to handle? So...
  7. Z

99 explorer won't start

Should be able to just turn the key partway and check it without the engine running. If not, check your battery and make sure the negative/positive terminals have a good connection.
  8. Z

It's running great! Shifts like its brand new now :) I hope everything works out for ya man, let me know if you get stuck with anything I'll try to help.
  9. Z

Well I managed to get my tranny back in without removing the y-pipe. As soon as I got the spline lined up and in there I put the bottom bolts in and tightened until the bellhousing clamped back on. There's probably better ways to do it but this is how I got it back in. Hope this helps.. Good...
  10. Z

Hey

You came to the right place :)
  11. Z

98 2 dr sport explorer

It should have a concentric slave cylinder. Which means it sits inside the bellhousing. You need to drop the tranny to replace it. But I could be completely wrong, that's just how mine is and most others I've seen.
  12. Z

1996 Ford Explorer, 6 cylinder

I've heard it can get pretty expensive, depending on how hard it is to get to em. The freeze plugs themselves are pretty damn cheap, so you'll be paying 98% for labor.
  13. Z

99 explorer won't start

Is there a check engine light? Diagnostic tool will tell you exactly what the problem is. If you don't have one, I know Autozone and Oreilly will do it for free. Sincerely, Captain Obvious
  14. Z

Did you end up buying the Motorcraft slave cylinder? I wanted to but it's crazy expensive.. $50 more than the Luk clutch kit itself.. I'm starting to feel like, with how much work it is to take this tranny out, I'm going to wish I had gotten it! I watched a couple YouTube videos of guys doing...
  15. Z

PB seemed to work great for me getting those bolts off. The only reason I was able to slide it over the y-pipe is because I managed to get two of the three sets of bolts out for it so it had some play to it, allowing me to push it down a couple inches and get that tranny over it. It would've...
  16. Z

What I did is I slid it over the top of the y-pipe. It was caught on some metal towards the passenger side but I lowered the back of the jack so that it came out at a downward angle. It was sketchy and I could've broken **** but it worked man, got it out finally.
  17. Z

Dude! This y-pipe is no joke! Looks like the last guy ended up cutting it off and welding it back. I got two ends off so far but the ones on the passenger side are busting my balls. I got the driveshaft off easily. I think this y -pipe is gonna take up more time than dropping the tranny itself...
  18. Z

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll let you know how it goes.
  19. Z

I am going to replace the slave cylinder and clutch on my '96 Sport tomorrow evening. I've never done anything like this before, although I've researched the hell out of it.. So if you guys have any tips or tricks to make the job easier/faster please let me know! I have some basic instructions...
  20. Z

Clutch kit, slave suggestions?

I found a clutch slave repair kit made by Motorcraft - does this actually work? It'd save me $150..
  21. Z

Thanks for the advice. The motorcraft slave is $170 which sucks but I think I'll make the investment. I couldn't find any pictures of it though for some reason.. Wanted to see what it looked like in comparison to the one oreilly has.
  22. Z

I'm gonna be pulling my tranny this week due to a bad slave cylinder. Any ideas for a good clutch kit and slave that will last?
  23. Z

No clutch pressure, won't disengage

I have a '96 Explorer Sport 2WD with 256k miles and it will not go into gear with the engine on, clutch pedal down. The problem started about a month ago when it became difficult to shift into gear. Mainly shifting from 1st to 2nd going uphill. It got worse over the next few days to the point...
  24. Z

1995 Explorer Sport with 5 speed M50D driving me crazy!

You seem pretty knowledgable on this topic so I have a couple of questions... Do you know why the line that runs from the mc to slave has so many twists and bends? The way it's designed seems kinda retarded for a hydraulic system as air gets caught in those tight bends.. Why doesn't the line run...
  25. Z

Manual transmission fluid for M5R1

I was thinking about adding some Lucas Transmission Fix to my tranny fluid in the m5r1 to improve shifting. Has anyone tried this yet?
Back