Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Whining sound under acceleration

I hear a whine probably from belt system somewhere, and a high pitched ring/whistle... which is bugging you?
  2. M

cruising 70 mph: 'crickets' in dash

"the 'crickets' are still with me but now seem to be 'hiding' in a drive-belt component." This.
  3. M

cruising 70 mph: 'crickets' in dash

Cam angle sensor bushing is dry. Remove sensor and drip some oil down there.
  4. M

Gear oil for Explorer 8.8 with limited slip?

I like Redline 75w-140NS because it is synthetic with no friction modifiers. Good for my truetrac, but also good for 'tuning' grip of a friction plate LSD by adding certain amount of the slippery stuff.
  5. M

2011 Explorer won't start

See first response... might want to change alternator before trying to make that trip. Or at least leave everything off to give poor battery a fighting chance.
  6. M

What's that sound?

Ok, now I bet on front hubs.
  7. M

What's that sound?

If brake pedal gets stiff during noise, it's almost certainly the abs pump running because it thinks the wheels are running different speeds... if you are sure the tires are all same size, and replaced rear sensor already - i would change front sensors (or maybe one is just loose).
  8. M

What's that sound?

Different size tires? Can really make ABS system angry.
  9. M

Strange vibrating sound only when cold out

Detonation, Pre-ignition (Pinging) Noise You usually hear this noise when accelerating the vehicle. Most people call this a pinging or rattling sound. This noise is caused by an air/fuel mixture in the engine cylinder being ignited prematurely Diagnosing Common Engine Noises - James on Engines...
  10. M

Strange vibrating sound only when cold out

I should explain... Sounds like you lean out with cold air and start to ping. Better gas should help, or maybe clean MAF
  11. M

Wait - is wife in car?
  12. M

There is ALWAYS some degree of accuracy.;) Of course, it varies proportionately with the amount of information given.... So tell us more, OP. Does the noise occur at certain speeds? Does the pitch change, and does it follow speed, rpm, throttle, etc? Is the radio on?
  13. M

1999 XLT - Rear Diff Rebuild Time

Just put eaton truetrac in w/ yukon 4.11 gears. I recommend a nice looking cover with fill port, and a gallon of redline 75-140NS. Edit: B&M F-150 Cast Aluminum Differential Cover - 8.8 in. 40297 (97-14 F-150) Or course, break in w/ cheaper dino oil like lucas hd, but I think the redline fluid...
  14. M

I would guess it is air intake related... maybe in throttle body? Is it only 1 point on the throttle? (Goes away with more throttle)
  15. M

Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today...

Maybe i missed the boat on this one.... Great thread - really interesting read. So I put a Truetrac in the back of my '01 mountaineer with 4.11 gears. Very happy with it, but currently the dana 35 from front is sitting on the bench (manual TC) Ok, you see where this is going.... *ahem* Rick...
  16. M

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

For what it's worth... when it starts to leaking fluid from trans... it's easy to scoot it back 1/2" (leave 2 bolts in), rip out gasket, and apply RTV with hacksaw blade. Well, maybe you're better at saving old gasket than I was...
  17. M

How to: 4R70W Rebuild Diary Discussion, Questions, ETC

You're not kidding... I bought 15 qt of Mobile1 ATF... dropped pan to change 5 qt, filled new TC, and I have 1 left. Guess the rest is was expensive rust prevention...
  18. M

Yes Sir! Certainly can't argue with transman! (Sorry CDW... you were right, but no trans in your name...:dunno:) Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate the confidence boost! Ordering parts now. Guess that was a cheap trans flush anyway...
  19. M

trans is in good shape besides spewing oil.... and you certainly have a point about the seal. I know I read where someone on here had 'Mysterious' trans leak with no drips that eventually blew TC seal.... so I'm hesitant to do the extra work for it to blow up. guess I'll add a qt and sleep on it.
  20. M

This: 4R70W Rebuild Diary - Part 12 - Assembly up to Intermediate clutch This is what I have to do? :banghead: My problem is in the first 3 pictures of that thread? ...:censored:
  21. M

This is the bad news I was waiting for... Let me just summarize to make sure we are on the same page. You're saying that there is no rubber seal at the rear of the trans, and I've damaged the internal bushing so severely that it is losing a quart a week. I certainly don't think the case gasket...
  22. M

Hmm... 97 F150 has the same seal listed as "output shaft seal" ... so maybe this is right after all? 1997 FORD F-150 5.4L V8 Output Shaft Seal | RockAuto I would assume this seal is the same for 2wd and 4wd. The shaft is just different length according to original thread. Would hate to pull...
  23. M

+1 on trans jack... I thought of replacing the gasket too, but fluid should not be leaking into the space between the cases in the first place... right? I read somewhere that someone's trans leaked into T-case and they had no idea because the gasket was good. Until the rear seal blew off the...
Back