Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Timing Chain Already???

This is the best explanation I could find, and it's not very good: Flat Rate Grid Pricing Matrix Basically, it appears that they start with a "standard rate", and for every additional hour over the first an additional ~1% is added to the hourly rate. The thought being (per the link above) that...
  2. M

Timing Chain Already???

In Wisconsin auto repair is considered a taxable service, so parts and labor are both subject to sales tax. I called the dealer this AM and asked them point-blank what their standard labor rate was - $128.95/hr. I asked him to help me understand why I was quoted $147.38/hr for the job, and he...
  3. M

Timing Chain Already???

Good thought! I will call the dealer in the AM and ask if they will complete for form for me. Thanks!!
  4. M

Timing Chain Already???

Yeah, I noticed that after I authorized the repair. I’m going to be following up on that. Side note, I PM’d you about Joel’s contact info and the ESP. After this repair, I’m strongly considering a 3/60,000 ESP. I had an injector replaced under emissions warranty, and now this. I don’t trust...
  5. M

Timing Chain Already???

Thanks for the feedback guys. My wife and I have a 2 year old and a newborn, and that puts my time at a premium, so I just told the dealer to fix it. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time to shop around for a better deal right now. If it were summer, I might have tried to tackle this at...
  6. M

Timing Chain Already???

They are supposed to be emailing. He did indicate phasers verbally on the phone, but I am awaiting the full breakdown. Thanks, guys!
  7. M

Timing Chain Already???

Just got a call back from the dealership, and they confirmed it needs a timing chain and related parts to the tune of $3230. I asked them to do the water pump at the same time, which brought the out-the-door cost of repair to $3481.
  8. M

Timing Chain Already???

I know this is an old thread, but I have a 2013 Explorer Sport that was throwing a P0016 code. I tried swapping the CPS from bank 1 to bank 2, cleared the codes, and the same P0016 code reappeared two days later, so it did not follow the original sensor. It's at the dealership now for...
  9. M

Active Ford Service Rep?

Copy that. Thanks, Peter!
  10. M

Active Ford Service Rep?

Is there still an active service rep on here? I see "FordService" user (Crystal) was last active in 2017, and I'm looking to see if there is an updated contact. Thanks!
  11. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

The solder repair held up all last season post-repair without any further leakage. Hopefully when I fire up the A/C again this spring it still works. :) If it’s an o-ring, it should be a relatively simple fix. Regardless, you will need a vacuum pump to properly evacuate any moisture from the...
  12. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

I’m not sure what else the oil would be coming from. In that area (where HVAC lines go through the floor to the aux unit) I only see two heater lines and two A/C lines. In my Service Manual (Section 412-00A: Climate Control - DATC, General Procedures), there is a section called “Refrigerant Oil...
  13. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

I ended up ordering one of these Uniweld kits off Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-P4KD9S-Aluminum-Solder-Applicator/dp/B010UMSB9Y/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1525720611&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=aluminum+solder+kit+uniweld I have a new desiccant cartridge on order from Rock Auto, which...
  14. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

Good news: I found the leak. Good news: It’s not leaking from the evaporator under the dash. Bad news: it’s in the second worst possible place - an under-body line running to the rear aux unit, which requires removal of the rear sub-frame to replace. Good news: it’s a hole in the hard line...
  15. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

Is there a drain hose for the auxiliary evaporator in the back? I got my sniffer and wanted to confirm whether or not there's a leak from the auxiliary evap. I found the heater and AC lines running up through the left rear quarter, but didn't notice a drain line to sniff back there.
  16. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

Guh, yeah... I replaced a heater core in the dash of my old 2001 F150 SCrew, and that was a whole weekend job in my driveway. I imagine the Explorer is 10x worse with all the electronic farkles jammed up in there. TBH, I didn't even realize there were lines running aft for the rear climate...
  17. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

Thanks, blwnsmoke. That might explain why I didn't find much in my search. :) I'll follow-up if/when I locate the leak. Thanks for the tip on the rear A/C unit.
  18. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

Thanks for the tip! I found a leak detector on Amazon with decent reviews for ~$30 shipped. I'll try it in addition to the UV dye (which I've already ordered). Seems to be leaking out pretty quickly, so I'm hopeful I can nail down the source fairly easily with the proper tools.
  19. M

A/C Rear Line Leak

I have a 2013 Explorer Sport with just under 60k miles which I bought used in Aug 2016 (with 28k mi). We finally got some warm weather in SE Wisconsin this week, and when I tried my A/C nothing but warm air... After some diagnostics, I discovered there was zero pressure in the system when...
  20. M

Carrying a canoe. Rear access and front tie points... Recommendations??

Holy moly! Glad I have a 2013! 45lb seems awfully low. :( My canoe is 55lb, so even after including any racks/baskets, I think I will be well under the 100lb limit. I saw the load limit in my manual, but thanks for the heads up on the later models! Guess the MoCo doesn't expect people to do...
  21. M

Carrying a canoe. Rear access and front tie points... Recommendations??

I'm looking to purchase a roof rack system that will allow me to carry an 18' Wenonah Champlain canoe. The catch is, I travel with my dog, so I need to be able to open the rear liftgate enough to open her crate door and let her out at rest stops. Just by eyeballing it, it looks like the rear...
  22. M

Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost

OCC won't help black soot accumulation. The EB is tuned fairly rich from the factory. I have a custom tune (a little less rich than OE) and still get soot, even with the OCC.
  23. M

Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost

Sorry, I missed this question from a while back. I extended the drain hose through the frame and put a ball valve on the end. The valve ends up being tucked up just under the lower fascia. http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w449/mauskings/OCC%20Install/3_zps39jmgzx7.jpg
  24. M

Lowering the Explorer

Can anybody with the OE 20" 2013-15 Sport wheels confirm whether or not the wheel studs have to be trimmed in order to get the wheels to seat properly? I'm looking at either 0.75" or 1.00" BORA spacers. I've seen several mentions of cutting wheel studs for 2016+, but haven't seen any...
  25. M

XSport Replacement Rear Caliper Parking Brake Return Springs

Does anybody know a part number or source for new rear caliper parking brake return springs?? I don't see them on fordparts.com, nor are they in the Centric or Calson online catalogs... I purchased some OE take-off calipers that I was going to have powder coated, but I'm fairly certain the...
Back