Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

For 5.0 owners with exhaust leak / ticking sound...

I just finished up my driver side, again pulled it through the wheel well. I left the splash shield in, but removed the dip stick. I pulled it and had the new one installed in less than two hours. The ports on the cast look quite a bit bigger than those junk tube style. I replaced my passenger...
  2. G

For 5.0 owners with exhaust leak / ticking sound...

I just pulled my passenger side out of my 97 last night in one piece. A little maneuvering and it slipped right out of the wheel well above the shock mount.
  3. G

A.A. 5.0 headers

If you're asking about my Level II, I sold it a couple years ago. It's now owned by a custom 4x4 shop in Newport, Oregon. One of the worst decisions of my life... But can't complain too much, owned it for six years and sold it for $500 less than I paid for it! I've thought about trying to buy it...
  4. G

A.A. 5.0 headers

I've been thinking about the 99 and up manifolds for some time now, my 01 had them and they looked way more sturdy than my 97's. It's a stock driver for now, I just want the damn exhaust reliable. It's been a bullet proof truck and this is my only issue with it. It bugs the hell out of me...
  5. G

A.A. 5.0 headers

Thanks for the info, guys. I missed out on the group buy for the TM headers and have had absolutely no luck getting a hold of ANYONE in that company about getting some ordered. Both my manifolds are so badly split at this point, I think I'm going to have to park the explorer until I figure...
  6. G

Front Hub Stuck on Spindle HELP!

I've replaced quite a few of these. Put two of the bolts back into the hub and bolt it back to the spindle. Then spray the crap out of the axle shft splines in the hub and let it soak. Finally, screw the axle nut on backwards until the back of the nut if flush with the axle shaft end, then hit...
  7. G

A.A. 5.0 headers

Has anyone tried these on their Explorer? They seemed kind of cheap, but for the money they might be worth trying. http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/4050331991.html
  8. G

PNW Parts For Sale Thread - Local Parts

HELP! Need a AWD 5.0 transfer case in Gresham, OR ASAP! I have my truck all apart and was sold the wrong transfer case. I have a 97 5.0 AWD with the speedo cable in the case... I bought one from a wrecking yard with 119k on it, and it does not have the speedo cable hole in it. It even says "97...
  9. G

98 ranger death wobble after oil change

Check the ball joints thoroughly, I just did all four on a 98 3.0 supercab 4x4 with 62k on the clock. First time in my career as a mechanic seeing a Ranger with less than 120k with loose ball joints!!
  10. G

Just bought a 97 5.0 that has no fuel pressure...

It was the fuel pump, it's alive! Now to track down all the pops and hissing from under the hood... It seems to be missing a vacuum hose under the upper intake near the brake booster.
  11. G

1997 exhuast manifolds cracked. Will 98-01 fit?

My 01 had cast manifolds that looked a lot more durable than the tube type my 97 has. I just got it running today and there is quite a bit of noise under the hood. It's missing a vacuum line on the underside of the upper intake near the brake booster... When I plug it, the motor dies. So, some...
  12. G

1997 exhuast manifolds cracked. Will 98-01 fit?

I want to put 98-01 manifolds on my 97 5.0 due to the loud exhaust leak, but I'm not sure, and couldn't find anything on my search that tells me if this will work. It has an EGR system, if that helps... The 98-01 manifolds look a lot more sturdy. Thanks
  13. G

Got the pump out, we'll find out tomorrow! Thanks guys.
  14. G

As far as killing the pump thinking it has pressure?
  15. G

So you think I could rule out the regulator then?
  16. G

Hey guys, been out of the Explorer game for a bit, but I'm back! Just bought a 97 XLT 5.0 with 140k and it does not start without starting fluid. It has no fuel pressure and I have not heard the pump run. There are seven wires in the harness going to the tank, and only one has power when the...
  17. G

Lot Of Free Explorer Parts

Sounds good. I might be heading home in an hour, so call me whenever.
  18. G

Lot Of Free Explorer Parts

Hey guys, haven't been on here in awhile since I no longer own an Explorer. but, I have a shed FULL of 95 - 01 parts. I have two sets of rear quarter windows that I think fit first and second gen. I have a right rear door from a 98 Eddie, rear gate, rear bumper, driver window, door panels...
  19. G

2008 NWE gathering

I'll be there with the Bronco. Explorer is still in pieces....
  20. G

1163hp Ford 6, WOW!

This is hot, literally...
  21. G

Can't pass emissions!

It's on a dyno. They make you keep the wheels spinning at about 25mph at a certain rpm. There's a screen you watch that has a dial and a needle. You have to keep it in the green area until the test is complete.
  22. G

Can't pass emissions!

Before I bought it, it sat since April until I picked. The only real use it has had was the run from North Bend to Bothell, then the run we went on. Fuel mileage is awful. Haven't driven it enough to calculate but, it makes my 5.0 Explorer look like a Honda. It ate about a half of a tank on our...
  23. G

Can't pass emissions!

Thanks Phil. Do you think Seafoam might help at all? The motor does only have 59k miles on it.
  24. G

Can't pass emissions!

Okay, it had a full tune up before I tried testing. I can't find a single hose out of place under the hood either. Wouldn't it run a little rough if it had a vacuum leak? As far as the driving at high speeds, I took the freeway to the emissions place... I just wonder if the cat is bad. How would...
  25. G

Can't pass emissions!

So I have ran the Bronco through emissions twice in the past couple of weeks failing each time. At first I thought it was the timing (was off 4 degrees). Nope, not that. Check for codes, no codes. All the emissions equip. is there and functional. The previous owner says the Cats are not that...
Back