Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Ecoboost timing chain replacement

Yeah, this guy I'm working with... Good prices but its not very smooth. So the parts list I found is from a post on FordFlex.net. Looking at his parts list wouldn't these be the same parts I need? He is working on a 2010 EB, but he converted to 2012+ parts.
  2. B

Well I'm almost done building and verifying a parts list for my 2014 Explorer. Its interesting to note that the gentleman I'm working with at the dealer says this is an "old architecture" design. Only has phasers on the intake cams. Also trying to figure out some confusion on the water pump...
  3. B

Has anybody done the timing chain job on the 3.5L EB in the Explorer chassis? I've found some good info on F150 sites, but that looks significantly better access than our transverse V6 architecture. I'm pretty well versed with my own car work and would potentially tackle this (especially since...
  4. B

Explorer Code P0016

I've been reading about P0016, which recently surfaced on my wife's 2014 Sport. No drivability issues at all to this point. Not down on power or MPG, runs smooth. No rattle or start up noise. Everything I've read indicates this code is synonymous with timing chain (and associated hardware)...
  5. B

Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer

Wow, that water pump failure is terrifying! Huge cost, especially on an EB and no warning... But how common is it? I haven't seen any mention on multiple car forums that I surf and it should be a common design across AT LEAST 3.5/3.7L platforms if not the smaller ones also?
  6. B

Highest Mileage 5th Generation Explorer

What type of service life are people seeing out of these Explorers? My wife's 2014 ExSport is going to break 100k so its no young buck but its no where near end of life either. Clearly a lot more life left, but I also don't want to get stuck with EPAS, PTU or even turbo/TDI issues. I also...
  7. B

Rust!

Hood and tailgate looks fine. No issues on the underbody either. Fluid film is a lanolin grease-oil which has gained a popularity over its 100 year history
  8. B

Rust!

Wife’s 2014 explore sport. Noticed this back in the fall and hasn’t majorly changed over the winter but the car is only four years old (and outside of rust warranty on miles). Worried about rot in the future as well as effect on trade in value. Now my first thought is to sand and paint...
  9. B

Code P1450

So I'm tracking down the ever-exciting "Check Fuel Cap" dash message. Scanner shows two DTC's: p0455 AND P0457. Is this the same type of thing where its most likely the purge valve? Might it be the solenoid? Or does this mean its time for a smoke test?
  10. B

Remote start troubles?

Edit: So problem was a CEL (covered by something left by wife). Symptoms, remote start wasn't working. Solution, cleared CEL, remote start works. Now to fix the cause of CEL.
  11. B

OEM Or Aftermarket Brakes? Recommendations.

Going to be doing a brake job on our 2014 ExSport soon. Very happy with all aspects of the OE brakes but hesitant to pay Motorcraft prices. Powerstop "auto specialty" KOE6375 package seems to be very attractively priced but do you just end up getting what you pay for? Any thoughts for OE...
  12. B

PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

Two things I found that might help you or others next time. 1. I used an empty Valvoline Synpower jug refilled with Amsoil to fill with. The Synpower had a screw on nozzle tip. 2. The hose I used was a 5/16in ATF/Oil cooler hose. It fit the vent nipple very well and no matter how hard I...
  13. B

Thanks MiWiAu. Thats exactly what I ended up doing, also! Boy was it frustrating filling through that vent tube, though. What I actually did was first refill with Seafoam, rotated the wheels a bunch of times, drained and filled with a combo of MMO/80w90/75w140 that I had laying around before...
  14. B

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

Interesting. Appears to be missing on our '14 X Sport with towing package. Not sure if its worth replacing with our winters but I did find some part numbers. fordparts.com lists as part number "<10494" description "Engine Underbody Air Deflector" price $71.27 I've also seen it listed as part...
  15. B

Plastic shield under engine

does anybody have a diagram or part numbres? my 14 xsport with towing seems to be missing this...
  16. B

Well, went to baseline all of the oils today since we recently purchased this 2014 Explorer Sport. Motor oil went fine, as expected. The rear end oil went fine, but took a little effort with my suction gun to suck it out manually. Anyways, found something interesting. 2014 Explorer Sport and...
  17. B

Another Engineering mode (?)

Neat. Doesn't look like there is any data for trans temp- guess our 6F55 doesnt have a temp sensor?
  18. B

Thanks great, thank you! Quick question though. I see 1.1qts is the typically listed capacity. Do you know if this will result in a fluid fill to the fill hole (such as many differentials do)? Or is it a straight capacity spec?
  19. B

Transmission Cooler

After adding a trans cooler to my F150 I learned a lot- like it has an internal thermostat in the 6R80 trans. Does the Explorer's 6F55 have an internal cooler line thermostat as well?
  20. B

2014 Explorer Sport... Where are the RCA inputs?

I've noticed that our Explorer Sport with the FMT and Sony sound system doesn't have the video input plugs in the center pocket like the regular units do. It still has the USB inputs and whatnot. Is this normal- and if so, are these inputs still present in the wiring harness and just hidden?
  21. B

ATF drain & fluid change

1995E, thats a perfect video. Looks like I'll just do some drain and fills with each engine oil change for a little while. Thanks!
  22. B

Dog Barrier for Trunk

So, we have two VERY active dogs in the 65-75lbs range... which apparently must go everywhere with us... Looking at two possible solutions; either seat covers to protect the leather middle buckets or a pet barrier to use (with rear seats folded down) to keep them in the back. If we go with...
  23. B

ATF drain & fluid change

So, since I'm planning on doing the F150 ATF this year (just shy of 85k miles) I'm also thinking about the Explorer (70k miles, 6F55 transmission I think). Very little info about this on google, which surprised me. Has anybody done there ATF yet? Are the cooler lines thermostatically...
  24. B

Hello with a 2014

Just figured I'd say hello. Just picked up our brand new used, one owner 2014 Explorer Sport yesterday and looking forward to joining this community.
Back