Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. jimwww

Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires-

Amazing but I had that stupid large trailer hitch taken off the back of mine (as well as the trailer brakes) and the ass went up an inch. Yay.
  2. jimwww

Add a leaf from amazon

Will this raise the ass of my sport 2dr? Compatible? Should I do this or 2 inch WAR shackle?
  3. jimwww

1999 Explorer Modifications Possibly Needed

Tune up - change the plugs - best thing you can do and buy better gas. What I mean by that is Chevron etc.. not Joe's gas station - I find it does make a difference. I did not mean Octane. I have had 4 explorers and none responded better to higher octane.
  4. jimwww

Some shots of the sport

I agree = bush bar and lights will add to the even better sporty look you have.
  5. jimwww

America racing rims on 99 sport

I have done some searching on here however a 99 sport 2door has fender flares and 4 doors do not. My question deals with my 99 and i would like to put on AR23's and I am unsure if I should use 15x8 or 15x10 OR run 15x8 on front and 15x10 on the back. (since the wheels on the back are farther in...
  6. jimwww

Phony factory temp gauge

I meant that some newer model lines have that (heard)- I think ours are too old for that. I think ours have the real gauges.
  7. jimwww

Disconnecting air conditioning. (higher mpg)

I think we have already talked about that subject. I think we do not need to argue about it anymore. Some believe it some don't. On my 96 it ran regardless. Unplugging it stopped it.
  8. jimwww

Phony factory temp gauge

I agree.
  9. jimwww

Best oil to use

Ok.. for those who want to go synthetic I did call Mobil one and asked them what to do with an older vehicle. 1. Switch to semi synth. Oil and filter. 2. Halfway through the Oil cycle - 5000km or 3200 miles = 2500km or 1600 miles switch the oil filter (as the engine is cleaning itself) top...
  10. jimwww

Phony factory temp gauge

Interesting. I heard from a mechanic that later Ford's temp gauge (mine works - I know as when I noticed it was barely getting warm even when driving and figured out that the thermostat was stuck open - replaced it and it went to dead center) now are dummy guages. Ford service departments got...
  11. jimwww

Well it has been three weeks and my mileage went up by 50km per tank so far. Not as good as my 96 - it was better but I do know I need a brake adjustment on the front (my back brakes were done three weeks ago). I invite you to try this modification on your to see if it effects anything.. if...
  12. jimwww

explorer sport pics

bronco2guy - can you tell us what you did. What lift, tires etc
  13. jimwww

Lifting your explorer to clear larger tires-

I still think I want to go the 4inch suspension route. Look proper sitting beside Broncos and Jeeps that have been lifted.
  14. jimwww

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

It looks like your Explorer wants to take flight.. and you have to hold it down. :-)
  15. jimwww

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

I like the Ventura wheels.
  16. jimwww

5 speed manual issues

I think all manual trannys should be made with remote slaves so they can be serviced independently of the clutch.. But engineers don't get it.
  17. jimwww

Changing all the locks 1999 Explorer

I will do that today.
  18. jimwww

Changing all the locks 1999 Explorer

My door locks on both doors are 'sticky' and it drives me crazy- takes a few seconds to get it to turn - almost like the key does not fit. Aggrevating enough to replace at least the drivers door.
  19. jimwww

5 speed manual issues

I agree. Additionally if it only happens in one particular gear then it is syncros. With mine when I put my clutch down I have to wait. .5 of a second before I put it into first. All other gears go in perfect. I will wait until I need a new slave or clutch before I replace the syncros
  20. jimwww

We get 20-26 weeks of sun here in the summer ( nobody ever talks a out that) and no humidity. I intend to find out if turning off that condenser makes a difference or not. It did on my 96. I used to live in L A and used air everyday. Fyi - on vent I can still hear it cycle so that is why I...
  21. jimwww

What to watch for on 2nd gen explorers

Rear wiper does not work, fuse number 8 or rear motor has to be replaced. Spark plug wires when replacing have to be routed properly. (heat)
  22. jimwww

Steering Wheel Controls Melted

Wow. And I thought mine was weird because none of my controls 'move'. They do not move and the 'off' button is permanently dented down. I don't use them.
  23. jimwww

Air filter How long do you go?

6months approx I don't believe in K&N filters when off roading - too much dust - but I do for normal driving.
  24. jimwww

Wanted Gas mileage seems less than usual

We have been having a lively discussion about the air conditioning on in this other thread.. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350275 I have been going through the same thing and just changed spark plugs and wires. I did not change my 02 sensor as it has been working...
  25. jimwww

I just did my tune up today, new wires, new spark plugs and disconnected the a/c which my mechanic agreed w me that on fords the stupid thing 'cycles' using up more gas than you need to in the winter. I will post some pics as well so you all can do it too. My mechanic did suggest that once a...
Back