Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

Removing powered 3rd row seats

@96firephoenix you're right. I should rent a truck for towing the boat long distance. I found that my best local option is Enterprise Truck Rental. They have 3/4 ton trucks available for $59 per day, 100 free miles and $0.20 per extra mile, and I can tow a 10000+lb boat with it :-) I'll look...
  2. E

Removing powered 3rd row seats

I have an 06 LTD with powered 3rd row seats. I am thinking of removing them to save weight over the rear axle. I need to put about 500lb tongue weight on the tow hitch for a boat. 500lb is my limit without using a weight-distribution hitch, but my trailer is not compatible with WD hitches. So I...
  3. E

Sumo Springs

I went ahead and had the sumo springs installed. I didn't find the ride quality to be any worse than before -- granted it's a truck-based SUV, I never expected any ride quality to begin with. I didn't feel the back to be any different than before -- it could be stiffer, but I can't tell.
  4. E

Sumo Springs

Hi, to following on my other question about towing a 5000lb boat with my 06 Explorer LTD 4WD I didn't want the rear to sag, so I asked my local trailer shop to install air bags. They told me that no air bags are available for my vehicle, but they can install "Coil Sumo Spring" for me. I guess...
  5. E

Towing 5000lb with a 2006 V8 Explorer AWD without WD hitch

Thanks for the tips. Will adding air bags help?
  6. E

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I will probably get a boat that's slightly smaller (18ft instead of 20ft). It will be 4200lb with full fuel. Even my minivan can handle 3500lb, so I can't imagine why my Explorer can't handle an extra 700lb. I will probably go fishing once every week or...
  7. E

I have a 2006 V8 limited with the tow package. According to my owner's manual, if I tow over 5000lb, I need a weight distribution hitch. I am getting a boat which, when fully loaded with fuel and fish, will be close to 5000lb. However, the trailer cannot handle the stress of a weight...
Back