Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Heated seats/wheel

The heated seats will cycle, this is by design. One so they don’t overheat and cause burns but also to prevent premature aging of the seating material. I have noticed this on the ford and other manufacturers. Though I will say the cycling on the Ex is less pronounced than my Accord. I also...
  2. J

Park Aid Sensors

Merry Christmas folks. I’m having a bit of an issue with the front and rear parking sensors. A few weeks ago we had a few inches of snow, enough to get the explorer dirty with salt and wet snow. Soon after that the parking sensors stopped working and we would get the message “check park aid”...
  3. J

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

It starts in November. I read TSB-044 and it is mostly filled with verifying and sealing holes/gaps, if they exist. What I’m curious about is why the TSB only applies to the NA 3.5? Is it the consensus here that it is only this engine with the exhaust odor?
  4. J

Thoughts btwn 2017 and 2018...

Is the 2018 getting the 10 speed?
  5. J

Dealer installed Class 1 Hitch

It will not void your warranty
  6. J

Dealer installed Class 1 Hitch

I got the curt class 3 hitch. Installation was a breeze. This past Father's Day they had an amazing deal, $60 shipped after rebate. Part no 13100. Like you, I got it for bikes and cargo carriers. I don't plan to tow. Installation was very easy and it has a clean hidden look. You will also find 2...
  7. J

Changed my PTU Fluid

That explains why the smell never went away as I was pumping in the fresh fluid. I wasn't aware of the high sulfur content, appreciate the update.
  8. J

Changed my PTU Fluid

After reading about the PTU on the forum I figured i'd change the fluid on our 2017 Explorer. We have about 14.5K miles on it. I used a hand pump fluid extractor to extract the fluid out of the drain hole and filled it back up until I saw fluid dripping out. I was only able to extract about 9...
  9. J

Best halogen headlight bulbs, 9005 or 9011?

The 9011 is superior and well worth the upgrade. It's lifespan is better than the 9005, though I'm having a tough time finding a source. This was a topic I heavily researched back in the day. I'm running the Phillips 9011 in my 2010 accord low beams now for 7 years. Still the same set of bulbs I...
  10. J

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

Any TSB that includes the 16 and 17 MY?
  11. J

True 4wd? Or awd?

What is the maximum torque that can be applied to the rear wheel? From skimming this thread I'm seeing 50%. And does the AWD employ torque vectoring at all?
  12. J

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

We have a 2017 explorer that we got in October of 2016, and we can definitely smell it when accelerating over 3.5K RPM. Smells more like exhaust, than a rotten egg smell.
  13. J

What's new in 2018 Explorers?

Sign me up for a plug in explorer. I'm a bit of an mpg nerd but my wife really liked the Ex so I caved. She drives 60 miles a day for work. Not so bad at $2.5 a gallon but I'm not counting on that sticking around.
  14. J

Side window defrost with floor heat?

Yes it's normal. My honda does this as well.
  15. J

Dealer Cut a Hole in My Headliner HELP

I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble of the tear down to install a new headliner? Have you considered keeping it as is getting your money back plus negotiating something else?
  16. J

Tire rotation, jack points, lug nut torque spec and TPMS reset

@supr squirrel - thanks for this. I have been scratching my head after consulting multiple resources with no definite answer on the tire rotation. I'm curious however, what is it that you are doing with the calipers at 10K?
  17. J

The HIR 9011 bulb (halogen infrared) is a more efficient halogen bulb. In essence, it recaptures the heat for more light. The 9011 is rated around 2500 lumens vs the 1700 for the 9005. Here is a more detailed write up. http://store.candlepower.com/9011hir.html
  18. J

Heated front seats

No complaints about the heat. My only feeling is they are too hot. I find the single bar is overkill for me... Would have preferred more leg support from the seats, but otherwise far more comfortable than my Accord.
  19. J

Count me in on the 9011 bulbs as well. I recently did this on our 17 Ex. It is a noticeable upgrade and no hotspots. The hardest part was changing the bulbs for I had a tough time getting my hands in there. The trimming of the bulb base is quite simple.
  20. J

2016 Police Interceptor Utility 2nd row headrests

I'm not very familiar with the PI, but curious, why get one over an Ex for a family hauler?
  21. J

Ford Goes Cheap With Halogen Over HID On 2017

Another potential conversion is to modify the 9011 bulb to fit the 9005 high beam bulb. The philips 9011 bulbs puts about about 30% more lumens than the 9005. There are a lot of conversion videos online. This is the route I will take. And best of all, the 9011 bulb still uses 65 watts, same as...
  22. J

First time Ford Owner

Hi everyone, We just picked up our 2017 Explorer XLT in Platinum white. My wife insisted on the color, and I was compelled to oblige. We took the Explorer on a 250 mile trip to the beach, mostly highway, and was really impressed with the quiet and comfortable ride. This vehicle is my wife's...
  23. J

2017 XLT Quote

Hi Everyone, I've been lurking for a few days and I finally decided to join. We have a Mazda CX-5 that we have quickly outgrown and the Explorer is on the top of our list (still also considering the new Pilot). So after doing some price shopping, here is what I got quoted on a 2017 Explorer...
Back