Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Time for tires

Does anyone have a preference between Michelin Defender LTX M/S and Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3? We get a lot more rain than snow where I am (Pacific Northwest), so I never run snow tires. Right now Costco has Pirellis for less than Michelins, even though Michelin are on sale.
  2. C

Heated seat element

The parts list shows the cover as separate. I would assume it can be reused and just replace the guts underneath.Was quoted in the neighborhood of CAD$600 parts & labour, so I’ll find out on Friday when I go back to pick mine up how much is new vs existing.
  3. C

Heated seat element

Yeah, mine just went too, and dealer said the entire lower seat needs to be replaced.
  4. C

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Good news, dealer told me that Ford is covering the hood replacement and that approval for MY2017 is no longer required. Dealer can just go ahead and do it no questions asked. Part on order, back next week to get it done.
  5. C

Thanks guys. Peter, I did already note that paragraph in the warranty. I’ve had a dealer tell me “bring it in, we’ll take pictures and send them to Ford and see what they say.” I’ll be sure to have that page printed with me. Was planning on doing that today until a garbage truck driving in front...
  6. C

Is there anyone on this forum in the greater Vancouver BC area that had success with one of the dealers getting it covered no charge? Was told by 2 dealers (one with body shop & one without) that the hood replacement is only covered under the 3/36. I’m 4 years in now, but still within the 5 yrs.
  7. C

Hard wiring dash cam in a 2017 XLT question

Yes, I tucked wire in the headliner along the top of the windshield, then down the drivers side A-pillar to the fuse box. The A-pillar is easy to pop off with no tools.
  8. C

In car sounds (door chimes, park sensors) changed after recharging dead battery?

Thanks SLail. I do have a dashcam hardwired with parking record on motion or impact sensor. It does have a battery save feature that shuts it down if voltage drops below 12 v. I’ll try changing that to 13 volts and see if that makes a difference. I did have this dashcam installed when I had the...
  9. C

In car sounds (door chimes, park sensors) changed after recharging dead battery?

I've been having the same problem ever since I put in a new battery after the old one died. Sometimes I get the normal chime sounds (ie for seatbelt warning, auto liftgate closing chime or parking sensors), and sometimes I get the "old" chime sounds. Also sometimes get a message on the Sync...
  10. C

Failed Sync update

I posted on this thread a while back how to do it with a Mac: SYNC 3 latest version Post #131
  11. C

Rearview camera view backwards

Thanks, that thread didn’t come up when I did a search.
  12. C

Rearview camera view backwards

I just got my Explorer back from the body shop after being rear ended a couple weeks ago. Rear hatch had to be replaced among other parts. I noticed when backing into my parking spot when I arrived home that the backup camera view is backwards (ie mirror image) and I can’t for the life of me...
  13. C

Thinkware F750 front & rear dashcam hardwire install (Ford Explorer 2011-2017)

Thanks kmarnes for the detailed steps with pics. I just installed my rear camera and you likely saved me a lot of time and surely a lot of frustration! Just wanted to add my solution for feeding the wire through the rubber tubing in the rear hatch: I took a length of stiff plastic tubing, just...
  14. C

202a U.S. vs Canada - Specifically, Heated Steering Wheel & Foot Controlled Liftgate

I have a Canadian ‘17 XLT with 202A, sport appearance and tech package. No heated steering wheel, and hands free lift gate is part of the tech package. This is my window sticker:
  15. C

BLIS stopped working

FYI rain can interfere with the blis sensors. If it’s been raining a lot where you are lately, wait and see if it works on the next dry day (that wasn’t my problem btw).
  16. C

BLIS stopped working

Whatever it was it fixed itself within a few days. Ghost in the machine maybe? Haven’t had any problem since.
  17. C

Is this decent deal on 2017 XLT with 202A and Sports Appearance Package?

I bought my ‘17 XLT in September 2017 for what works out to US$39,900 OTD with today’s exchange rate (I’m in Canada). Includes 3.5 NA, 4x4, 202A, sport appearance, tech package, moonroof, class III towing, and all weather mats. Promos at the time were employee pricing and Costco discount, and...
  18. C

2017 XLT. The door keypad lights are blinking.

Watch out for the lift gate opening while you wash it with the fob in your pocket. That happened my first time washing it with my feet right under the automatic sensor as I was reaching the roof with my brush ;)
  19. C

Car tries to initiate phone call upon start up!

I just upgraded to an iPhone X from iPhone 6 and now I too am getting this problem with it trying to dial “0” every time I start the car. I even unpaired the old phone first before pairing the new one. Never happened with the old phone. Can anyone confirm that a master reset fixes this?
  20. C

My camera has a “parking mode” that will record any incident while the vehicle is parked. Good to have in case someone hits me in a parking lot or a break-in (provided they don’t steal the camera itself!). This feature requires hardwiring.
  21. C

I’m planning to hardwire my dashcam this weekend using add a fuse method. Fuse panel should be easier to access once I remove the plastic panel under the steering column. Although I’m expecting it to be a bit tricky reaching up under there, I figured it’s the safest route to go and also gives me...
  22. C

2017 Max Defrost button doesn't seem to do what I want it to do...

Check that the temperature setting displays “hi” at the top of your Sync screen after pressing max defrost. Mine seems to work as it should, but I prefer using remote start on cold mornings anyway.
  23. C

SYNC 3 latest version

Okay, so I did several tries with seatbelt on before starting engine, after starting, radio on and off, remote start etc. I think my neighbor now thinks I have OCD. Peter, you are right, it only chimes if the seatbelt isn’t buckled before pressing the start engine button. I always thought the...
  24. C

Hood lettering question

Pretty sure it’s magnetic metallic. I have the XLT sport appearance package and everything that’s normally chrome (grill, mirror caps etc) is magnetic metallic and matches with the hood lettering.
Back