Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

4406 transfer case for AWD 5 speed conversion.

I haven't acquired the 5 speed yet but from reading in these forums it needs to be an F150, 1997-2003 with the 4.2L engine.
  2. M

2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 Crank no start. PCM?

Yes to the Dragon, and then went south to the Cherohala Skyway. 441 through Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge into Cherokee is great too.
  3. M

4406 transfer case for AWD 5 speed conversion.

I'm starting to acquire the parts I'm going to need to do the switch on my 2000 XLT 5.0 from the stock AWD auto to 5 speed manual. I am looking at a transfer case now. It says its from a 1997 F150 4406 electric shift. Is this the one I need and will just still need to acquire a manual shifter...
  4. M

Thanks CDW6212R. I did check the inertia switch and I think its OK. I thought I had read that the PATS system with make inop the injectors and fuel pump? I am pretty sure the OBD connector is getting power because I can see the OBD tester lighting up and connecting to my laptop. I guess my next...
  5. M

I bought a 2000 (8/2000 build) Explorer XLT 5.0 as a donor vehicle for the 5.0 engine. I'd like to get the engine running before I pull it to make sure its OK. 92K miles. Before I got it it had been sitting for a 3 years and the lights and speakers had been removed. I don't see any wiring...
  6. M

Coolant in oil.

Thank You!!!
  7. M

Coolant in oil.

Its not the 4.0 SOHC. I meant 4.0 OHV. Chocolate milk shake is an accurate description of what came out of the oil pan, about 3 gallons. I checked the weather records, it says it was a high of -11, low of -13, and there was high winds. I can't remember the wind chill because at -17 it just...
  8. M

Coolant in oil.

I will investigate the water pump idea when it warms back up. Is theer something that can leak behind the water pump like a gasket or something or do you think something on the block itself could have actually froze and broke?
  9. M

Coolant in oil.

I didn't think to add that. When we refilled the cooling system we did not see any oil in the radiator. We did see a few bubbles but the system the guy was using did not detect them as combustion gasses.
  10. M

Coolant in oil.

I bought a 2000 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 OHC and manual transmission. This Explorer spent its entire life in New Mexico before I got it. I live in north east Indiana and winterized it expecting that's its never been in winter weather. All was going well until we had some extremely cold...
  11. M

correct tire size?

Tire Size Comparison Thanks for the posting, this site as a lot of information. I have a 2000 Sport 4x4 manual trans and looking for snow tire information. No lift kit and trying to find a size that might provide more height and at the same time be narrow like snow tires. How far in height can...
  12. M

2000 Explorer Sport 4.0 OHC engine swap.

Sorry for the exhibition of my lack of mechanical knowledge on this subject, but why don't they use the manual transmission that comes in the Mustang 5.0? Borg Warner T5? It seems to handle the 5.0 as it came stock.
  13. M

I am reading this now, So you want to convert to a 5.0? 5L swap for dummies
  14. M

Has anyone done a write up on the swap process for converting a 4.0 either SOHC or OHC to a 5.0 V8? I have searched the forum and found many discussions but no "how to's." Looking online the horsepower difference from the 4.0 compared to the 5.0 was only about 30 horsepower, is that correct...
  15. M

Hi all, I searched the forums and have not found this info. I have a 2000 Explorer Sport, 4.0L OHC, 4x4, manual transmission. Looking at my options for an engine swap in the future. Is a 5.0L an option for this vehicle and retain the manual transmission and 4x4? I have read the issues to ensure...
Back