Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

2011 Explorer airbag warning light, seat belt buckle

Hi, My airbag light came on a few weeks back in my 2011 Explorer Limited (188,000 miles). Today the dealer diagnosed it as “drivers seat belt buckle, replace and retest”. The price is $653. When they called me they said the seat belt pre-tensioner needed replaced, but the report says replace...
  2. T

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

LOL. Really, there is no corrosion on my hood. Just a bit of dirt under the seals. I wouldn't lie to you :) And no, I am not going to put a borescope into the hood...
  3. T

Agreed, once they've done all the work to open it up why not replace all wear items in there. PS: I am kind of leaning towards rolling the dice and waiting to see what happens as some have advised. I am not opposed to making it habit to inspect the dip stick...
  4. T

The vehicle is in really good shape otherwise, we have maintained it well over the years. I don't have the hood paint issue (but will verify that tonight), I do have a small issue with rust from inside the tailgate on the lower right edge near the drain hole. This has been an issue from within...
  5. T

My dealer quoted me $ 2,835 ($1284 in parts, $1283 in labor, plus misc) to replace the water pump and all other internal timing components in my 2011 Explorer Limited with 178,000 miles on it. He said they might not need to replace everything on the quote but since visual inspection isn't...
  6. T

How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have?

Good question! I only recently learned about this potential issue. Before knowing about this I was just planning to drive it and fix things as they appeared. There is probably some suspension work needed in the next 6-12 mo (harsh sound from front going over rough road). I can do it myself...
  7. T

How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have?

2011 Limited 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 engine, bought new for wife's vehicle. Took delivery in late March or early April (can't remember) of 2011. Now has 178,000 miles. I have to say that other than the initial Sync issues (crap software), a few issues taken care of under warranty, and regular...
  8. T

Shift to Park Warning

I bent mine as well and it has worked so far. I was barely able to get to it after lifting up the center console. I assume replacing means you have to fully remove the center console and side panels to reach it? Thanks for finding the switch and posting the info. -Tom
  9. T

Shift to Park Warning

Thanks for the info. Someone also posted pictures from the Ford manual on how to access the shift lever so that will help as well as your info. I would be really surprised if the Omron switched actually failed. Those switches are very reliable, we use them on machines that run continuously and...
  10. T

Rearview Camera Problems

Turns out a company called LKQ (used parts supplier) was driving distance from me and had a rear trim piece for the 2011 Explorer including the camera, wiring harness, and license plate lights. Got the whole thing for $180. Woohoo! Turned out to the be the camera module. So I now have an...
  11. T

Rearview Camera Problems

The weird thing is that it worked for a day after I "flicked" the light next to it. I suppose that could just be an intermittent camera module but... Is there a cheaper place to buy the module? My dealer wants $403 and if it doesn't fix the problem I can't return it. Even unopened, there is...
  12. T

Rearview Camera Problems

Does anyone have a pointer to the schematic/wiring diagram for the backup camera in a 2011 Explorer Limited? Mine stopped working. When I took the trim piece off I noticed that one of the license plate lights was out. I flicked it and the light came on and the camera then worked for a day...
  13. T

Shift to Park Warning

I found this thread that discusses the issue and gives some hints about doing the repair.... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/shift-to-park.375462/page-14 Doesn't seem like anyone has actually found the root cause though...
  14. T

Shift to Park Warning

Does anyone have instructions for opening up the center console in a 2011 Explorer (Limited) to gain access to the shifter? I want to investigate, and possibly replace, the shifter mechanism. It is doing the "Shift To Park" thing after putting it in park. After some investigation I see that...
Back