Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Anyone know where to find this body panel?

I would have to look at a 4 door rocker and dog leg to see how it would work. I cut the rust off about 5 or 6 inches up from the bottom, primed and painted it to slow the progression. Both sides are about the same.
  2. M

Come to think of it, the doors do have similar geometry, just not as much curve where the panel flares out at the wheel well. Do you have pics of how you did that?
  3. M

I got a lift gate at a local salvage yard a while back; as I recall they had a couple of Sports in there, if the panels are in good shape on 1 of them they might let me cut out what I need so I can mig them on. Thanks
  4. M

2 door rust repair panels

Nope, searched their site inside and out. Think I gonna learn to fabricate sheet metal.
  5. M

I've replaced the rocker panels, now I need to replace the panel just in front of the rear wheel. It Here's a pic, same year and color of my vehicle(just in better shape) The panel I need is circled in green.
  6. M

Anyone have SafeLite replace a lift gate glass?

That's what I was thinking about doing; what type of washers would you put on each side of the glass?
  7. M

Thanks for all the replies, I was going to go the junk yard route, even drilled out the hinges, but all had been broken at the junk yard.
  8. M

I opened the rear lift gate glass on my explorer, when I did one of the screws/bolts that on the top hinge came out and the shock pushed it up on that side. Needless to say it shattered into 10,000 pieces. I've had trouble with the screws loosening up before, this is the first time one popped...
  9. M

Unsolvable Explorer Rough Idle. Any OBD II experts?

Sounds more like it was the lifters in 1, 2, 3 gone bad. Probably should check for proper oil flow on that side as well.
  10. M

Which gear ratio? AWD front differential swap.

Anyway, there should be a metal tag attached to one of the inspection cover bolts, it will tell you the ratio. There may be only a tag on the rear one, but they should be the same ratio.
  11. M

It could still be a short somewhere in the harness. I'd start by checking the obvious/easy to get to places. Then look for anything that's been taped, and anything that looks wonky. You should check the plugs for the harness first from the PCM to everything under the dash/steering column. My...
  12. M

I think you have a short somewhere in the harness, possibly between the ignition switch and the cruise control. Have you ever seen a little puff of smoke come out of the steering column? or maybe a crackling sound?
  13. M

Did you replace/check the ECT on the thermostat housing?
  14. M

Can you make a video of the vehicle idling, with the hood up looking into the engine so we can hear it? I'm too lazy to go back and read the beginning of this post, so; is the engine rough only at idle or do you notice a miss anywhere else during acceleration?
  15. M

Well, nothing ever goes wrong with electronics. Anyway, there has to be a mechanical connection to the throttle for the cruise control to operate, there is an adjustment there, and it can cause idle problems.
  16. M

Does your explorer have cruise control? Sometimes the linkage can get out of adjustment and make the idle wonky.
  17. M

The only thing I talked him into was pulling the oil pan. You bought a truck that's 20 years old that had only 58k miles on it. What a coincidence.:rolleyes:
  18. M

Maybe he was, but he didn't have a 13 year old explorer with only 58k miles on it. I'm thinking that the speedometer head has been swapped out on that thing at some point, and who knows how many miles the engine actually has on it?
  19. M

:crazy: I had a neighbor who said the same thing, but he was :drunk: and kind of :crazy:
  20. M

If you do some research you'll find they're prone to going bad with less miles on them. I've been driving mine for 7 years with slack in the rear chain. It has a sporadic idle also. The guides crack and pieces break off. Pulling the oil pan is the easiest way to tell if that's the...
  21. M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-09-Ford-Explorer-Ranger-Mazda-B4000-Mercury-4-0L-SOHC-Engine-Timing-Chain-Kit-/400583683109?hash=item5d44a5ec25:g:3PIAAOSwm8VU1Tc3&vxp=mtr
  22. M

Never pulled my intake, but O-rings shouldn't cost much.
  23. M

I thought the intake manifold gasket was good when I rebuilt my 350, but it leaked a little once it warmed up. Since it's already apart, and all you have to do is put the new gasket on, you'll be money ahead by doing it. I would have pulled that oil pan about 20 posts ago though.
  24. M

I would never reuse an intake gasket.
  25. M

2002 Ford Explorer started slipping. How long could it run before it's dead?

My 2000 has right at 350,000 miles on it, and I just recently swapped the trans.
Back