Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

J-mod spring removal? which ones?

hey everybody. so i just spend the last hour reading threads on various forums about the J-mod. seems like a really good bang for almost nothing. i read that some ppl some leave the 2-3 accumulator spring in and just remove the 1-2 spring. removing both make the 1-2 shift way too hard but other...
  2. M

cast iron manifolds?

Okay guys so I've done some thread searching about swapping the 98+ cast-iron exhaust manifolds into my 96 5.0 to get rid of the Leaky tubular Style. I'm getting a complete mix of responses from "it's a great Swap "to "it'll never work with those heads". I don't know who to believe so has anyone...
  3. M

P0402 code.

Ok everybody 96 5.0 awd I'll take any advice at this point even if it includes spinning in a circle while touching my nose. I keep getting Po402. EGR excessive flow, I've now had the plenum off more times than I care to mention. New EGR valve, EGR position sensor and EGR vacuum solenoid. Clear...
  4. M

5.0 exhaust manifold replacement

thanks for the responses guys. thats what i was hoping, maybe pull the shaft. wish somebody made a set of headers for these things. at least make the trouble worth it. i hate going through hell just to put the same bul$%it factory crap back in but i guess 200k from the originals i cant really be...
  5. M

4R70W to Manual Swap?

That's why I was thinking m5r2. I owned 14 super Coupes and only had an issue with one trans. Actually at the moment I'm under the hood of mine and contemplating pulling the automatic out because it worries me even though it's rebuilt. I only plan on pulling a single car trailer with the truck...
  6. M

5.0 exhaust manifold replacement

Hey guys as the title says I'm looking to replace the Leaky stock manifolds. I've done some searching and only seem to find write-ups about the passenger side. The driver's side seems like it's going to be more of an issue. Now I've been a mechanic for many years but never done one of these and...
  7. M

96 5.0 tuning? where how who

yea Ive got buddies that probably know how to use that but i'm not looking to get that crazy with cash. i just figured somebody that could throw it on a dyno or drive it and just tweak some of the parameters.
  8. M

96 5.0 tuning? where how who

Okay guys I'm going crazy here. I've been searching to the point of making my eyes burn so I make this thread and off to bed I go. I've been looking in the NJ PA area for anybody that would just give me a kind of "wake up" tune. All I've heard so far from shops Ive called is either that it's too...
  9. M

4.10s worth it?

Going with a small all season. 255/70. Not looking to offroad it. I have a jeep for that. I decided to convert the thing to 2wd anyway. Just going to run the 4406 with the rear shaft. Removing all the front components and just picked up a set of 2wd spindles. Primary purpose will be Town...
  10. M

dont hate me, another 4406 question.

ok guys. here's the scoop. i have my 4406 from f150 going in next week buuuuuuut i want a speedo. plus i need the engine light off for inspection. i see that the 97-99ish expeditions came with 4406 as well but electric shift. they have they same vss has the expo. im thinking of picking one up to...
  11. M

4.10s worth it?

Thanks for the fast response guys. I know these 8.8s are pretty reliable and damn strong, I just always have that "what if" in the back of my mind. I'd be paying dirt for another rear when the time comes. I'm yet to experience good mileage. T-case been locked since I bought it so 75% highway...
  12. M

4.10s worth it?

hey everybody, long story short ill be using my 96 5.0 awd for towing a car trailer. transfer case already binding so 4406 going in next week(thank god). i have 3.73 lsd, rear seems tight but has very slightly whine above 55 under light throttle. fluid needs a change big time. i work at a...
  13. M

4R70W to Manual Swap?

Following This Thread has really made me contemplate this swap. Went searching through are shelves today at the salvage yard and came across a 5-speed and 4406 out of a 98 F150 with a 4.2. If that will bolt up to my 302 I think I'm taking it home
  14. M

4R70W to Manual Swap?

Sorry to slightly hijack this but has anyone heard of a zf s5-42 swap? I've found talk of it like in this threat but haven't seen it done. Would be the best stock 5 speed swap IMO. Never gunna let go behind a 302. Providing your looking to make it a work horse and not a racer out of it.
  15. M

which 4r70w shift kit

Not neck snapping?
  16. M

which 4r70w shift kit

It is a 96. Only 20k on build. That's what I'm looking for. I hate the stock mushy crap. Too much slip for my liking. 96 came with HD plate?
  17. M

which 4r70w shift kit

I read up about that jmod. I get mixed reviews. Some guys had great success and some I really screwed that trans up and Josh i never heard of that kit, is it more or less a shift kit or something else?
  18. M

which 4r70w shift kit

Hello all, I'm searching through shift kits right now but having trouble deciding on which one. I've done plenty of shift kits in GM's but never a ford 4r70w. Trans only has 20k on it so I'd like to take advantage and crack it open early. Trans shifts like it's full of mashed potatoes. Something...
  19. M

2wd conversation

Awesome write up! Thanks for the helps guys. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the u-pull-it next week.
  20. M

2wd conversation

Thank you boomin but what would I be pulling the drive shafts out of? I would definitely be changing U-joints, fluids and anything else while I have it down. I'm a firm believer of do it once, do it right and turn it up to 11 so I'll never have to worry about it
  21. M

2wd conversation

I wouldn't mind that but what's involved in a 4406 swap?
  22. M

2wd conversation

No sir. Awd no knob. I think it's a 239 t-case if I remember rite
  23. M

2wd conversation

I was thinking about removing front components but I wasn't sure if axles held the bearings together like my Chevy. Not to worried for winter. I also have a grand Cherokee for that but as far has transfer cases what should I be looking for?
  24. M

2wd conversation

Hello all, just picked up my first explorer. 96 5.0. I needed something smaller with some grunt for towing so I figured one of these was my best option. I've owned a 5.0 before I know how fantastic these engines are. I know this subject has been beating around a little bit around here after...
Back