Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Let's see, what can I powdercoat today?

Im still using the eastwood system. I don't do much coating so its ok at the hobby level. I do already hit the corners first as well as turn down the voltage when doing so. it seems to help not build up as much. I also initially get the part to about 200 before the initial coat, then reshoot...
  2. X

clear doesn't bother me, that's somewhat easy, but the candy colors , man I can never get parts to come out the same color.
  3. X

Jon, have you found a good metallic bright blue that is a single stage. all the ones ive found that I liked have been 2 stage.
  4. X

need help with transmission

It needs a new trans, or rebuild.
  5. X

Factory 5-speed needs an Engine

Correct the cams are different I believe. I have seen threads where the explorer guys have done the swap and been very happy
  6. X

I would re use as much off your engine as possible. Just to make sure
  7. X

well they are much newer(updated) and usually cheaper, most junkyards know the explorer engines are in high demand ad charge more. However in the mustangs the v6 is much les sought after so there are usually more of them.
  8. X

3rd gen(lowered) wheel/ Fitment help

Hey guys I don't like the wheels that im currently running, nor the crappy (generic) fitment. Im wanting to run a meaty fitment, make 295s or 305s on a 20 " wheel. And while I have tons of fitment expirence, see the picture below, Im trying to save my self some time and money. Looking around I...
  9. X

4.0 sohc blocks should all be the same
  10. X

uH REALLY? v8 swap is cake if you have a donor vehicle. Trans wont work so you would have to figure that part out, mustang or f150 trans, PCM would require custom programming. the engine side is simply a matter of swapping then engine and harness plus a few other things like hoses and the...
  11. X

Crown Vic 4.6L SOHC V8 Same as Explorer?

would work but as others have said it would be a huge down grade with the lower compression and much worse flow.
  12. X

03 4.0l to 4.6l swap in a o3 explorer

Yep I learned that, As many as I have worked on I never noticed that the v8 was available with the selectable, so im stoked to be able to do the BWM and have a 2wd v8 when I need it. Now I just need to figure out if I have the 5r55w or S as it came from an 02
  13. X

SCT tuner help

Any updates yet, looking to get a mailorder tune my self
  14. X

How to: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap

any updates on this, just did the 4.6 sohc swap myself and am thinking about buying a aviator to snag the motor/breaks from.
  15. X

02 TDI Swap

Subbed, lol this will be good!!! not sure where you are but if you want to upgrade from an XL roller ot a 02 eddiebauer roller I have one sitting here....
  16. X

Jon your the man. This stuff looks great. Makes me want to go order more powders from powderbythepound.com lol. I'd like to know more about the primer coatings as well. My chrome only comes out 90% good.
  17. X

Wanted Fuel Pressure Damper 2004 Explorer 4.0

i have one if you still need it
  18. X

finished my swap this weekend, took me 22 hours straight by my self. However, being a (former) ford master tech and having a large shop with multiple lifts and any tools I could possible need including an IDS. I took a few pictures and will explain a few things later that will be very helpful.
  19. X

Getting ready to do this swap. Only I plan on modding the 4.6 and trans proir to install. Did you use the 4.0 t case or the awd case from the v8. I'd prefer to use the 4x4 case to have 2wd. But not if it doesn't fit.
  20. X

torque monster install gone bad

So i have run into this a few times in the many broken bolts I've extracted. At this point the best thing you can do is to melt the easy out with a oxy-acetelyne torch. They hardened steel melts faster than the bolt and the block. Then you need a set of left handed drill bits. keep stepping up...
  21. X

1998 mercury mountaineer body lift

amazon.com is the cheapest
  22. X

SAS steering issues/advice needed

Aligned and aligned correctly are different. And if you were correctly aligned your steering wheel would be centered. But I would try adjusting the box first Maybe I will see you at those places!! I plan on visit them this summer. I'd like to hit up the cove at least 3-4 times for camping and...
  23. X

SAS steering issues/advice needed

Define "toe is good"? Do you have an alignment printout? that would be most helpfull. Also try adjusting the steering box to take up some of the slack. dont over adjust it though, 1/8th turn at a time. If all else fails, bring it to My shop in VA and we will get her straighened out
  24. X

Aftermarket Steering Wheel

i did this back in the day and i used a grant kit for an early 90s ranger on my 96 explorer
  25. X

5.0 4r70w bw4406 swap help

Start the engine and turn the steering wheel lock to lock about 40 times, should help get the air out. Buy the speed sensor for the expedition. Im not 100% but most likely even though the vacuum lines are hooked up on the disconnect, i doubt anything is sending a signal to "connect" the axle.
Back