Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

New (to me) 1991 Aerostar.

Took it to my local guy, the spacer between the transmission and the engine (pilot bushing?) had broken. He said the seal had been replaced previously. He had to pull the transmission, so the bill was $300 - not too terrible. I'm just glad the trip home wasn't 50 or so miles further - I'm...
  2. T

I did, both before I bought the vehicle and after I got home. Also, the gauge came up about 1/3 of the way and stayed there, indicating normal temps. I don't believe she's running hot.
  3. T

Thanks for the input Josh. I was more concerned about continuing issues with the repaired items, I didn't think for a moment they were assurances that I would have fewer/no problems with the repaired parts. Especially when there have been multiple repairs of the same issues on AC, front end...
  4. T

I put a 15oz bottle of K&W TRANS-X in and topped off the transmission fluid, and it shifted perfectly. I could not detect any leaks after driving it and parking it on the driveway overnight. I'm going to drive it this weekend and see if it leaks. I'm carrying the remainder of a gallon of...
  5. T

Hey zenish, thanks for the input, I hope I have similar good luck. Let me ask you a question - what happened to cause your overheating? Were you towing something or some other harsh or stressful operation? I was driving on an extended trip - 190 miles or so - not towing. I figure that...
  6. T

I've owned 2 Aerostars previously, a 1991 that was a dealer demonstrator, bought it from the dealer in December of 1991. Extended, 3.0L XLT. It was a good vehicle, other than the AC. The AC had multiple problems, and cost me several thousand dollars over the course of ownership. Finally the...
  7. T

Solved My van has a shudder when trying to maintain speed.

Hey BrooklenBay, I had a similar incident with my wife's 2005 Trailblazer. It had been running fine, but suddenly it lost power, and even had a "reduced engine power" light lit up on the dash. The wires on the throttle body appeared to have been crushed, and one was cut. I can't imagine how...
  8. T

Don't take away my "Aerostar man-card"... I took it to a local mechanic I trust. $209.
  9. T

Problem solved, not the transmission at all, it was a bad fuel injector. whew!
  10. T

It's a little rough at idle, not nearly as bad as when driving at 50. That made me think fuel system or ignition system, rather than tranny. The trans fluid is probably 7 years old or so. this is not a daily driver - It's a secondary vehicle that logs 3k-5k miles a year. I've been driving my...
  11. T

I have a 1995 Aerostar XLT, 4.0L, 2WD automatic, with about 210,000 miles on it. It had been running fine until this weekend. We had a cold snap, well cold for the Gulf coast, it dipped into the upper 20's. I started up the van and it was a little rough, but I suspected it was cold and would...
Back