Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Roof Rail Separating

I went round and around with my dealer on why it wasn't covered under my extended premium factory warranty. After I complained, I met with a technician and he told me they put 4 screws in the rails to fix the issue as it's pretty common. I prefer to do my own work and bought four 1" black...
  2. C

2016 Explorer power door lock issues

My door lock issues started after a new key Fob was programmed and a new engine battery was installed. Rear driver and front passenger locks didn't work for 2 months, and of course a few days before a dealer visit they both healed themselves. So far so good. I ran a scanner and got nothing...
  3. C

2016 Explorer power door lock issues

I had the EXACT same issue on our 2017 Sport model. The driver side rear passenger and the front passenger doors would not unlock or lock with the remote. I had installed a new battery and thought F$$^%$ did I screw something up? We waited until we had chance to bring it in for the recall...
  4. C

Howling noise while driving-advise on spot check

If it's not your wheel bearings ( I have replaced mine 3 times) look at the driveshaft carrier bearing as suggested above. I have about 115k miles on our 2008 limited 2 wd drive and replaced ours at 110k miles.
  5. C

Roof Rail Separating

I am having the same issue on our 2017 Sport. I have the factory premium care extended warranty but I was told it wasn't covered. I haven't found a clause in the terms and conditions contract that excludes it, so when I go back for the rear suspension recall, I'll bring it up again. I...
  6. C

2016 Explorer seat mysteriously moves all the way forward

We have the same exact problem with our 2017 Sport model. The seat moves ALL the way forward , if I was a big boy it would crush me. I think there is a TSB report on it. After I showed the technician at the dealer, they supposedly did an update on it. Well, it's back . So when the oil...
  7. C

Door Gaskets / Molding / Weatherstripping

Our 2017 Sport started showing cracks after about a year. I took it to the dealer and they replaced two different pillar pieces because they got "confused by the work order"? wth. I had even put blue tape on the pieces along with the part number taped to the radio. Rather than return again ...
  8. C

Help identify 2017 interior trim pieces

It took me a bit to figure it out when it happened to me too. It's a side cover on the rear seat fold down drink holder/storage arm rest. It can be difficult to line up and snap into place, they cover the hinges.
  9. C

Weatherstrip issues

Our 2017 Sport with 25k miles has it happening on both doors. With a 100k mi. extended warranty I'll try my case. I checked two of my friends Explorers and both had it to some degree.
  10. C

Time for tires

I have had Michelin premiers on a Mazda Cx-9 and the new Explorer sport. We get so much rain here that I gravitate towards tires that perform well in rain. I have not gone farther than 15k miles so I cannot give a mileage opinion, but what I have found is that in 25 years of living in Florida...
  11. C

Random starting issues 2015 Ford Explorer

This sounds like the issue I had on one of my earlier Explorers. After numerous repair attempts it turned out to be a bad ground cable, not at the battery end though. Replaced it and never had an issue again.
  12. C

Brand new 17 Explorer shakes so bad makes us sick,

I went with Michelin Premier LTX from Tire Rack and we could not be happier, even the wife commented that the car seemed more "smoother". If the stock Hankooks had not been out of round ( 3 of 4) and had not self disintegrated by having chunks flying off (4 of 4) they were a decent tire. I...
  13. C

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

I have the exact issue with the one Hankook tire that was not replaced due to being out of round with 21k miles on it. I just ordered Michelin Premier tires from Tire Rack as I am done with Hankook. I would think that Ford would never want to re-live the Firestone debacle from the mid 1990's...
  14. C

Losing Antifreeze - No puddle?!?

I have a 2008 4.0 with 96k miles. I have replaced 2 thermostat housings and just put in a new factory radiator (our 2nd one). The thermostat housing leaks would boil off the engine and leave no evidence, you could smell it, but where the heck is it? The bottom O-ring was the usual...
  15. C

2017 Rear Hatch/Liftgate not closing completely?

Yes, I tried a number of ways and conclude that a light manual close will initiate the "locking noise". What threw me off was that it always made the locking noise when we used auto close or any other method. Maybe the gaskets and doors have settled and the door shuts more completely now...
  16. C

That could be? I'll try closing it a number of different ways this weekend and see if that changes anything.
  17. C

Your right, I tried every way and got it to make the "noise" once by manually closing it. It's weird, my neighbors does it every which way you close it , mine only once in a while closing it manually. It sounds like a small solenoid plunger activating but I can't figure out where. I'll...
  18. C

Yes, did all of the above. It used to sound like a small motor pulling a bit and a small click. It's locked, but it is not making that "noise" at the end of closing cycle.
  19. C

When closing the rear automatic lift gate it used to pull the lift gate in say an extra 1/8" (at the end of closing)and make a small but audible click when it closed. I just checked 2 other Explorers and their lift gate made the noise we "used" to hear. I have no warnings and the lift gate is...
  20. C

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

I will chime in again after my Hankook tire experience. Three were replaced under warranty for out of round issues at around 6,000 miles by the Ford dealer at no charge. Now at 20,000 miles the lone survivor (passenger front) is losing small chunks of rubber and flaking from the various...
  21. C

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

Let me get one of my kids to help me , and I will try to post a pic.
  22. C

Yes not related to the key pad, I'm thinking it is some trim/cover piece inside the vehicle somewhere. I have gained so much useful information from this forum. Thanks Peter and the rest.
  23. C

My 2017 Sport were both cracked upon delivery. Arnold the body builder must have been the guy installing them that day. Both were cracked at the top and both had some factory glue added for adhesion. I think they are one of the most complicated over engineered trim pieces I have ever...
  24. C

Traffic Report via Sirius

We spent a week in Atlanta going to and from baseball tournaments. We would probably still be lost up there without it, that freeway and traffic system stinks . Now I did cheat and run Waze off my phone to see if alternate routes showed. I'd say 80 to 90% it was the same. My wife preferred...
Back