Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Wheel bearing noise, quietens during braking

Just an update. I went ahead and changed the right rear hub. They are expensive, and I could feel a little roughness in the rotor as I rotated it, so I figured it was the one. However, upon test driving, I still had the same noise on left turns. I went and changed the front right hub and...
  2. L

Intake manifold exploded

Okay, I'm going to take a page from your experience here. If we ever get a crank no start, I'll pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and take a sniff. If I smell tons of fuel, I won't start it until I install a new FPR.
  3. L

Disable tpms on 2010 ford explorer with forscan software

@StangandMavs Glad it worked for you!
  4. L

Wheel bearing noise, quietens during braking

I know what bad wheel bearing sound like and I'm pretty sure this is a bad wheel bearing. It gets louder when steering to the left, so I know the bad bearing is on the right side. I replaced the front right wheel bearing about 3-4 years ago, the right rear was replaced 3-4 years prior to that...
  5. L

Front tires lose air

One other thing. My tire guy told me once that the lower profile tires are more prone to leaks like this. The shorter sidewall puts more stress on where the tire fits to the wheel. It seems that these 18" rims are more sensitive to being mounted exactly right.. As for your curiosity that...
  6. L

Front tires lose air

I had a heck of a time with my original 18" rims leaking air. The tires were fine, but sealing the tire to the rim always seemed to be an issue. I have never had such trouble with the older 16" or even 14" rims. Also, the OEM 18" rims had this plastic onlay which was easily damaged, and if...
  7. L

Humming not from bearings

I like this idea of using a stethoscope. When my rear wheel bearing went, I had to take a bit of a lucky guess. One front one was recently done, the other was done by the previous owner, and the right rear was also done by the previous owner. My noise got louder on right turns indicating a...
  8. L

Humming not from bearings

You say you changed front bearings, but not the rear wheel bearings. It sounds like it's the rear wheel bearings that have gone.
  9. L

And here I was, thinking my Explorer was a big vehicle...

I now have a Tahoe and the Explorer. Some may feel it steers like a Titanic. I suppose if you try to drive it like a sports car, it will steer like a Titanic. I'm used to it after having driven a 1971 Olds 88, 73 Buick Lesabre, 81 Lemans, 92 Grans Marquis. You won't get a sheet of 4x8...
  10. L

Parasitic Current Draw??

I've seen no one mention this possibility. I have a high current draw for the first 1/2 hour, then it drops down to under 100 mV. Have you tried closing all doors (maybe the hood too, if possible) for a good hour and then checking the current draw? Other possibility is that the battery may be...
  11. L

And here I was, thinking my Explorer was a big vehicle...

Actually the smaller size is exactly why I got it mine for my wife. (okay, it's a 2008, different year range, but close enough...) She thought it was huge and didn't believe me when I told her it was smaller than the 1992 Grand Marquis she was driving, and shorter than the 1997 Buick LeSabre...
  12. L

2020 Engineering Flaws

Yup, I'm an old 51 year-old man too. :rickfro: Seriously though, when I was driving a 2014 Explorer as a loaner, I nearly burned my butt because I couldn't fiddle with the touch screen to turn the seat heater off while I was on the highway. Imagine explaining that one to the cop as your...
  13. L

2020 Engineering Flaws

1. side doors. Can't comment because I don't know what the 2020 is like. Are they light because they're made from aluminum? Or are they light because they're structurally not so rigid? 2. II always felt the 2008 felt a little clunky with shifts compared to the older 4 speed AODE I had...
  14. L

heater hose woes

They did try to contact the dealer in LA. They did not return then call. It was deemed an installation error, not part failure, so I was stuck. I tried leaving a review on a review website that contained other reviews for the dealership. My review was removed even though I attached photo...
  15. L

Shift Lock solenoid circuit board

From what I am reading, the shift lock solenoid fails because of the board, not the solenoid. In my experience, the chips don't usually go bad on the circuit boards. Rather, I've seen most circuit board failures because of bad solder joints. Has anyone actually repaired one of these boards?
  16. L

Is Ford listening?

I don't think the radio has its own buttons though. I even find the 06-10 Explorer HVAC awkward to use. I have to look to see which button I'm pressing. It's my wife's truck so I don't use it much, but if I were driving it all the time I could probably get used to it. I hate voice commands...
  17. L

Is Ford listening?

I had to laugh. My concern is hardly "innovation"! I'll give it a try though. I am tired of modern vehicles getting overly techie. Curiously, the commercial lines have instrument panels that I would be happy with. Unfortunately, none of them are 4x4 SUV.
  18. L

Is Ford listening?

Dear Ford Canada/USA (if you follow these forums): I love many things about Fords. I was leery of the Ecoboost, but nearly all issues seem to have been addressed and these engines seem to live long lives now as long as you get a RWD based platform that has the external water pump. I'd prefer...
  19. L

2010 V8 Service Questions

I use a large low profile plastic tote, the kind you can slide under the bed. It's not that messy if you go carefully. What how FordMakuloco does it at about 1.50 min. I've made bigger messes with a simple oil change. (Wind blows the stream of oil away from the pan, the oil shoots out the...
  20. L

2010 V8 Service Questions

Charles, Watch this before doing the transmission. FordMakuloco recommends against a flush, but for different reasons. I wouldn't be afraid to do the plugs myself. There is a tool you can get for removing broken plugs. You might want to have it on hand just in case. I wouldn't do coils...
  21. L

In search of a new vechile.

Eddie is right on the money on this. SUV's are expensive for what they are. I would only get an SUV if you really think you need one. Wanting one is not good enough. If you want reliability and cheap, the Grand Marquis or non-emergency Crown Victoria is perhaps even more reliable than Ford's...
  22. L

Rumble-strip type noise when going down the highway

OP said problem was solved with transmission oil/filter change. This used to be a common problem on the AODE transmissions. It was an issue with the lockup torque converter getting confused and rapidly trying to engage/disengage. On the AODE, a complete flush solved the problem.
  23. L

Trailmanor

All walls are made by sandwiching 1" Styrofoam between aluminum. This makes up all walls and the roof. The floor uses 4" Styrofoam, I think. This reduces weight, increases insulation. On the downside, windows have to remain small to keep the walls structurally strong. Floor plans are...
  24. L

Trailmanor

I had an almost impossible list of requirements to get a trailer: (1) must be short enough to fit in our driveway. (2) must have a 3 piece washroom with holding tanks. (3) have hard sides. (4) ability to sleep 5. I found it, but it has a very special and dedicated following, the Trailmanor...
  25. L

Bent #8 exhaust valve

If you are going to go in for all the work to refurbish a head, why not do both? I refurbished both heads on my Tahoe a couple of years ago. I removed them, took them to a machine shop and had them do all the valve work. The cost came to about $2000 to have both heads refurbished, one head...
Back