Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

I already topped it off. I meant to inspect for a leak, since I don’t see anything obvious, and am planning to change the fluid soon.
  2. M

I haven’t noticed a leak. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ve ever checked it, so it could’ve been low to begin with. My coolant looks fine, so I’m going to go with minimal loss to age and wear, and possibly underfilled from the factory. Also, I just remembered I did have a collision a few years...
  3. M

Thanks for the reassurance that this has been a helpful maintenance to perform. Just fyi, I noticed my transmission wasn’t as responsive lately. I was almost 2 qts low at 94k. Just a heads up if you all don’t check the level regularly.
  4. M

Factory Power Inverter Install?

Awesome write up! I'm following to see how this connector to the inverter turns out. Just curious, what is your approximate cost to do the factory install?
  5. M

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

One of the articles mentioned a wheel alignment after replacement. Not sure why the official recall notice doesn't mention it.
  6. M

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

Recall 19S17 Rear Toe Link Replacement Ford issued a recall for 2011-2017 Ford Explorers assembled at the Chicago Assembly Plant for a rear suspension toe link replacement. Recall Date: JUN 10, 2019 Recall Title: REAR SUSPENSION TOE LINK REPLACEMENT NHTSA Recall Number: 19V435 Ford Recall...
  7. M

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

While I won't disagree, we don't get the snow or cold to warrant a dedicated set of snow tires in Central Ohio. I was merely trying to point out that I too had an issue with premature wear with the factory Hankooks, and to share my experience and recommendation for the Nitto Crosstek 2 tires.
  8. M

Oh, and FWIW, I can put these Nitto's through an 80MPH S-curve in 20*F weather with no worry about grip. Cold dry pavement traction is perfectly fine. ;)
  9. M

Sure, but everyone on here harps about the Michelin LTX M/S. I'm sure they're a great tire, they darn well better be for $1100+!! The Crosstek 2 is M+S rated as well, has an XL load rating (for the 20" tire anyways), and I got them installed with tax/out the door for $775. I have personally...
  10. M

Explorer Front Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System

No, I must have been going through a phase at the time or something, cause as of late I've been digging the sound. I do still contemplate upgrading the subwoofer, but haven't looked into it too deep yet. I've heard some folks just replace the factory with a slightly better quality woofer without...
  11. M

I replaced my OEM Hankook's this past October, but waited to comment before I had a chance to get some miles on my new treads. Like many of you all, the factory Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires came on my XSport from the factory. While their wet/dry grip was amazing, their snow grip was...
  12. M

PTU Problems

Hey just trying to confirm here, it looks like the MY2017+ PTU's have a redesign that somehow make them more durable/lower maintenance? I just rolled past 20K miles on my '17 X Sport, was looking into doing a fluid change on my PTU, but trying to determine if it's necessary, or to wait until a...
  13. M

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

I'm going to guess it's because most vehicles from the factory have a slightly lower stance to the front to offset the drop in the rear when loaded. This kit is giving you the most lift you can get to equalize that stance when unloaded.
  14. M

Explorer Front Stock Speaker Upgrade - Sony System

I apologize that this has most likely already been asked. When searching the forum I found descriptions and details of audio upgrades that some folks have done, but I wasn't looking to do a complete high-end component replacement from A-Z like some of the threads. Basically, I'm just wanting to...
  15. M

Sync 3 w/ 500w Sony, terrible audio quality

I also agree about the horrible sound quality of Sirius, however FM or streaming audio sounds incredible. Especially HD FM. You can definitely tell when HD kicks in for FM transmissions however. It almost has that mono to stereo sound difference. I would agree with the others, if you think...
  16. M

2017 Ford Explorer Sport issues already

Bought my 2017 Sport earlier this year. Other than a Sync hiccup here or there, and some general QA issues (hood is rubbing top of front left fender, right rear taillight looks crooked, some dimpling in the paint inside the door jams, etc), this thing has otherwise been solid. No issues with...
  17. M

Which Tune To Go With?

Sorry, I just made the point to mention that I already did some searching to avoid the canned "Do you know about the search feature?" remark most forums hit people with. I misinterpreted the response, that's all. So the general consensus here is that it doesn't matter which tune, and to just buy...
  18. M

Which Tune To Go With?

I read about the SSI tune, and the extreme limit they seem to push their tune to. I don't need a blown motor or broken transmission. I just want the best bang for the buck and something reliable. Thanks for the input!
  19. M

Which Tune To Go With?

I already mentioned that I have searched the forum. When you get over 200+ results, with most of those results coming from the same threads over and over, it's not always helpful. I love smart a$$ comments. They always add so much to the discussion. /sarcasm Back to my question, which you...
  20. M

Which Tune To Go With?

So I've been doing some reading and searching, and it seems that there are two very good tunes for the EX. I'm trying to decide between the Livernois and Unleashed tunes. Both seem to provide custom tuning to your vehicle, but only one uses a tuner that can do datalogging, show real time values...
  21. M

Sport Explorer Towing with factory Tow package

I was glad to see the EX Sport offered towing package standard. I plan to use the hitch, but haven't yet. I have pulled the cover just to make sure it all looked good. Glad to hear it tows nice and everything worked well for ya!
  22. M

Chugging when coming to an incline

I came here looking for this exact problem, and found a description spot-on to the issue I'm experiencing. Glad to know it's considered "normal". Thanks for the info! Might have to try a higher grade fuel to see if it resolves this issue, as that's what I thought the problem may have been prior...
  23. M

Cell Phone Mount

Here's an example of this mount in the vehicle. I didn't have a phone to put in for display purposes, as I was using mine to take the picture, but I've used this with several models of phones, as well as several different vehicles. https://flic.kr/p/TGBcuZ Thanks!
  24. M

2017 Explorer Sync 3 Display Goes Black, then reboots.

Have had the same happen to me, once while just driving down the road, another time it did it immediately after starting up. It's done it maybe 3-4 times overall since owning it, but it always came right back up after a quick apparent reboot. I'm assuming it just crashed and rebooted itself...
Back