Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Seat Belt Receiver Removal

97 XLT Driver Side Seat Removal with T-50 Torx Ford dealer in Bend sells the 97 XLT driver side seat belt buckle for $75 and discounted to $68. You can purchase used on eBay for around $25 including shipping, but how much service time is on the used part is problematic, so decided to suck...
  2. B

Seat Belt Receiver Removal

This is an excellent thread on the buckle replacement, which needed for my 1997 XLT. I will also have a look for the dime and hope for the best. Apparently aftermarket belts may not interface with the air bag. Is the G-switch in the bag or in the buckle assembly?
  3. B

Seat Belt Buckle

Same part is now $75 and change at the Ford shop, new. Zing....
  4. B

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

Climate Control Head Unit or Vac Leak My AC only works in MAX position, where the blend door is completely closed. During the winter months, the hot/cold blend knob does not function, and the heat is full-on. (This blend knob seems to have no regulator functions for rationing heat to the...
  5. B

I Charged My AC System Today....Help!!

Blend door Actuator Issue Well, I removed the four screws securing the AC module to the dash and cleaned the 11 years of Central Oregon dirt from the rear. In the process, I remembered that the Exploder service guy mentioned the blend door, and that is why his tech lashed the door closed in...
  6. B

I Charged My AC System Today....Help!!

Please post procedure for R-134a recharge My AC fails to cool on the 11 year old Explorer XLT. What is the procedure for recharging? I presume the low side is the fitting by the radiator and the high side is the compressor reservoir side.
  7. B

AC or --->

Manual AC Control On the left side of the AC module is the fan speed switch. Next is a rotational switch for adjusting heat/cold manually, on the right side is a switch for def/heater/AC Normal and AC Max. I am guessing that I must carefully pry off the black plastic molding surrounding the...
  8. B

AC or --->

How to remove AC/Heater Dash Control Module My AC dash switch module has failed. The heat/cool rheostat does nothing to regulate heater only or AC only. When Normal AC is selected, the heater door behind the glove box will open, allowing hot air to blast into the cab when AC normal is...
  9. B

Where is the spark plug thread?

Here is my postscript on the plug removal. My Motorcraft plugs had 50K miles from Ford install. I installed Autolite APP103 in my 97 VIN E, SOHC, 4.0L XLT. All three driver side old plugs showed gaps of 0.070 or greater and the center electrodes showed meltdown. All three passenger side...
  10. B

Where is the spark plug thread?

All three of my driver side plugs showed extensive melt down of the central electrode and the gap was about 0.070" The resistance of all three of these shorter plug wires was 6.11 K-Ohms. The passenger-side plugs ran about 11.05 K-Ohms and did not show the entensive central electrode erosion...
  11. B

Transfer Case Leak

I have a leak at the rear seal in the gear box assembly connecting the rear and front drives. I presume this is the transfer case gearbox, correct? The transmission was overhauled-repaired 12.4 months ago and we are 1,000 miles beyong the 12,000 mile warranty of the transmission repair. My...
  12. B

Leak from front transaxle?!

leaking transfer case rear seal Hi and I have a leaking transfer case rear seal, where the rear shaft attaches to the rear drive shaft. What is involved in repairing this seal? I can imagine a very difficult and expensive process to replace an $8 seal. The transmission was overhauled 12.4...
  13. B

Quick repair of locked rear door assembly

:cool: After reading this forum, I got the nerve to attempt a removal of the left rear door panel on my 97 XLT to access the lock mechanism. The door could not be opened from inside or outside without removal of the panel. The culprit was a broken spring, interior to the handle return...
  14. B

left Rear Door Inop.....

Opening the locked rear XLT door :D Symptom: Left rear door would not open from either the inside or outside. The manual lock button appeared in the lock position: My left rear door was jammed shut the past 6 months, so I just lived with the inconvenience until reading the Forum. If you...
  15. B

98 door locks

Yes, it is possible to remove the rear door panel while the door is locked. I used a pry bar, like the small end for removing nails. Also a right angle claw hammer would work. First remove the floor molding trim that connects the front seat retractor reel to the rear and front floors. These...
  16. B

left Rear Door Inop.....

My left rear door was siezed in a lock configuration for many months. Finally, I removed the floor side panel trim on the left and that gave me enough room to slip in the short end of a crow bar to remove the panel. Some of the clips remained on the door, but were easily transferred to the...
  17. B

Rear door locked shut!

Rear door is siezed My left rear door will not open and appears permanently locked. The other three doors will open and lock/unlock either manually or by electronic lock, but not left rear. How to open the door or can I remove the panels OK in the closed configuration?
  18. B

How to: Fix Rear Door Handle

My problem with the 97 XLT is a rear door that is permanently locked. How to remove the panel without destroying the parts? As I recall, that door was a little difficult to close once and then became permanently locked. The lock button is in the down and locked position. Can such a rear door...
  19. B

Door won't open!

Left rear door is stick in locked mode At 90,000 miles on the odo, the left rear door went into permanent lock mode. I cannot open the door from the inside or outside and the lock lever button appears to be in the down and locked mode. All three other doors can be manually locked and unlocked...
Back