Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

OEM Steering Wheel Control Upgrade?

So I know I’m reviving an old thread but I actually had a small update about this and wanted to share for anyone who may be interested. So as mentioned got the switches years ago and plugged them in and they didn’t work—as previously mentioned. I recently have purchased a 2nd vehicle so the...
  2. H

Bluetooth Audio Controls (another pointless project!)

Back again today with 1/2 of an update on the project. I was able to get a 4x4 switch today from a junkyard but I'm still waiting on the Bluetooth remote. The 4x4 switches disassemble very easy, 4 screws and the circuit board and plastic backplate disconnect from the main buttons. My original...
  3. H

Bluetooth Audio Controls (another pointless project!)

Hey everyone, over the years I've had my Explorer I've made an effort to try and "improve" some of its stereo capabilities while also giving myself a fun project to tinker around with. First it was getting the OEM subwoofer installed, then it was getting the original radio to accept an audio...
  4. H

OEM Steering Wheel Control Upgrade?

Hi all, I was poking around a junkyard for various things for my dad's Tacoma (which I didn't find. sad day) and I came across a 2003 mountaineer with the better steering wheel controls for a whopping $4 per switch. I currently just have the cruise control buttons in my Explorer and I picked...
  5. H

The weirdest camera there ever was (installing a back up cam)

I would directly mention this is not meant to be the most efficient or professional install of a back up camera, this is just a crazy idea I had and something I thought would be fun to do and leave me with a working backup camera should I ever need it. Without further ado.... Hi all, I am...
  6. H

A/C Blows Hot Air - but nothing seems broken?

So I should have mentioned the gauges drop a lot when the compressor is actually on (they drop low enough that they never stop and it will go back up when it does the next cycle). I might have a friend or family member with a vacuum to take the stuff out, but would it do much permanent damage...
  7. H

A/C Blows Hot Air - but nothing seems broken?

First off, 2004 XLT 4.6 Hey there. It's getting warm again for the summer in UT and the A/C in the explorer doesn't seem to be working like it should. When I have it set to cold, it blows hot. When it's set to warm, it blows even hotter. We've measured the pressure of the A/C and they are...
  8. H

Is the windshield washer weird, or is it just me?

So I might be stupid. I learned yesterday that pressing the windshield washer button is NOT supposed to spray the fluid, only when the button is held down. Here I was thinking that my windshield washers just didn't work but didn't see the need to pay to fix it (I've sorta/wanted to use them...
  9. H

(Going to try) Adding AUX to my stock Headunit.

So, as of about 3:00 p.m. today, I have an original Ford Radio (6CD) + the original Subwoofer installed in my 2004 Explorer AND I now have an aux audio input in my radio. No FM transmitters or modulators, it emulates the external CD changer and sounds perfectly (if not a tad bit quieter, but I...
  10. H

So I have been taking a break from this a while. I've been working on (and finished last weekend) getting the factory subwoofer installed and I was in an awkward spot. I was planning on making a proper harness for the iSimple box, but, I forgot it's intended to emulate a Satellite radio. I...
  11. H

Question about the Factory Subwoofer

That's correct. I've not torn apart the doors to check the speakers but I am assuming they're the originals since everything else was when I began. Head Unit is the 6CD oem too.
  12. H

Well, it's been an adventure, but it's all finished! Yesterday I finished assembling my "adapter" harness. Part of me says it's way redundant, but I'm glad I took the time to buy both of those wire pigtails rather than cut the existing wiring in the car. Both pigtails came with very detailed...
  13. H

What does it take for 4x4 Auto to actually turn on the 4WD?

A fun little question I've had for a while now. This was the first year I've owned my explorer and the 4x4 auto has always intrigued me. I've been told that it's essentially an AWD vehicle while in 4x4 auto but can change into a more traditional 4x4 whenever it's put into either high or low...
  14. H

Back again. I have held off wiring in the woofer until I got a radio harness extension in the mail (that way I can splice into that and leave the car's wiring uncut/spliced) and, following the diagram in the earlier post, everything has been pretty straightforward. The question is regarding...
  15. H

What was every single option that was offered from the Factory in a Gen 3?

So I've been on this kick making my Explorer into the most decked out model that could have rolled out of the factory back in the day. Now it's an XLT, so I know there are some additional premiums that would have been only offered on only EB or Limited models & there are some upgrades I simply...
  16. H

She's in boys! To my delight, behind the panel, the bolts were already there mounted effortlessly (the black cover I was worried about was also there, so that's good). The seatbelt bolts were only a small bit rusted and went in and out perfectly. Only real issue was the plastic trim that...
  17. H

Made it back to the junkyard today to get the subwoofer. Started out great! Sunny day, cool breeze, not a ton of people around. That T50 seatbelt bolt by the door was pretty bad though! It came off..sorta. I actually broke my T50 socket and had to run and buy a new one (Habor Freight to the...
  18. H

:confused2: Gen 3s had rear airbags? Well now I'm rather worried about taking it off if I manage to get that amp and subwoofer next week.
  19. H

Little update. I have yet to get to slicing and fusing my harnesses together (but college semester just ended so time should be getting better!) but I have learned a few more things. First, went to the junkyard (looking for a subwoofer, another thread floating around here) and, to my delight...
  20. H

Well you could not have been more right about those seatbelt bolts. Good news though, I found an 03 with subwoofer, the plastic panel, AND the original stereo (so all the wiring was in place and uncut) today! Bad news, I neglected to bring the tools (honestly of all the things NOT to be in the...
  21. H

Oh cool! Sadly I didn't get off work until late last night but I'm off today so I'm going hit up the yard here around lunch time. Wish me luck!
  22. H

can anyone help

I'm gonna have to also say you'll want to get a bigger truck if you are doing some towing. The explorers have the horsepower for it but, even if you make the transmission work, you're gonna work it to death.
  23. H

Gas cap

Had this same problem myself recently. An easy fix if you just need a new cap. If you need a black cap for the V8 here's the part number: 6L2Z-9030-F (leftover from when I ordered mine a few weeks ago :D)
  24. H

That's quite the helpful diagram, thanks! I'm going to head over the to junkyard Thursday afternoon and see what they've got for me. I'll report back here with whatever I find!
  25. H

So I am casually pondering the idea of adding the original factory subwoofer to my 04 XLT. Most of what I've found online says I should buy a new aftermarket sub and an enclosure to fit it. I have seen various listings on eBay for anywhere from $50 to $100 for the factory subwoofer and...
Back