Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Airnag warning lite

Got hit with a major cold snap this am about -25F air temp this am. She started up no problems .. but for some reason now the yellow air bag yellow warning light stays on, no flashing or blinking light, just stayed on. Is this common in extreme cold temps ? I checked under the seat the wiring...
  2. M

Defrosters

since we've been a deep freeze here last few days notice my defrosters isn't working properly on the driver's side but works great on the pass. side. The heater & blower works good when switching from defrost to dash panel it blows out plenty of heat just notice the it's barely defrosting on the...
  3. M

Heat controls in extermine cold weather

Howdy well here in NW. IA we're in a deep freeze for a few days and notice in the morning when starting up the heater controls seem a bit sticky or sluggish to response to the control settings. It has manual climate controls and the heater works great but notice when really cold out, in the...
  4. M

Cold startups

Hello all, got a 2010 explorer xlt w4.0 4wd. it has about 114k on her. notice lately since our cold winter mornings are back that on occasion, when I first startup in the morning, it sometimes will crank for about 5-6 secs before starting then after that it pops right over no problems the rest...
  5. M

Thiump sound when startup

been awhile since I posted here too many other things going on but the explorer has been running great just happen to notice this now that the temps are much colder at night here. I got a 2010 4.0 4wd xlt every once in awhile when the temps are like below 32 or so when I first start it in the...
  6. M

Weird Start issue sometimes

Not sure if this is normal or not. Got a 2010 XLT 4.0 sohc got about 111k on it runs great good mileage no real problems.Once in awhile, haven't been able to determine any sort of pattern to it, when I got to start it hear the fuel pump kick in start it and sometimes it will crank maybe 4-5secs...
  7. M

Fan clutch operation

Was planning on changing my belt and idler pulley tomorrow and was checking the fan clutch, with engine cold, it seemed a little stiffer then I would have thought with a cold engine. It turns by hand but I thought it be a bit more "free wheeling" when the engine is cold. Would there be some...
  8. M

Raising Vehicle

I got a 2010 xlt 4wd and was wondering if anyone has done something like this to raise up their vehicle. I have 2 pair of Rhino Ramps and was thinking of using them, one under each wheel and drive up, or back onto, each one. It would be really be nice to have the extra room underneath and could...
  9. M

2nd choice spark plug

gotta little situation with spark plugs for my 2010 4.0 sohc. Our local parts house is currently of of motorcraft oem lugs for my engine. They do have a few others, ngk, bosch and autolite plugs that fit. The next closest parts store is about and hour and half drive. So if you had to choose...
  10. M

A/C operation Info

Just looking for some operation info for my A/C. This is a 2010 xlt explorer with manual climate controls. This is actually the first vehicle I've owed in the past 12+ yrs where the A/C actually works good. Learned to live without A/C for long time but it's nice to have it now. What I was...
  11. M

Message center odometer

got a 2010 xlt and recently been having a strange issue with the message center. Every once in awhile the odometer switches from miles to kilometers for no apparent reason when starting it up in the morning. I'll reset it back to miles then it's fine for a few days then all of a sudden it goes...
  12. M

Door hinge

2010 ford explorer XLT: the upper door hinge on the driver's side is starting to do the popping noise when open/close door now. I was planning on getting one of the Dorman hinge& bushing kits. Will this do the trick to fix the door hinge or do I need to replace the whole hinge assy (hope not the...
  13. M

Harsh reverse when accelerating

Not sure this is normal for a 5r55s in a 2010 explorer w/4.0 but noticed yesterday while backing up had to accelerate quickly and the trany sounding like it just slammed into reverse (it was already in reverse) like if you have it neutral rev up the engine and drop into reverse. Haven't had any...
  14. M

Tranny Drain Plug

quick question about the 5r55s trany in a 2010 4.0L explorer what size is the large drain plug on the bottom of the pan is it 22mm or 7/8'' ? plan on draining the trany around the end of the month change filter what to make sure i got the right size socket for the large plug. got the torx for...
  15. M

mechanics gloves

I noticed while watching various repair videos that allot of guys use this gloves that look like the disposable latex type gloves. Being a retired diesel mechanic of 35+ yrs we never used those probably old school I guess. But was wonder if allot of you use them which ones do you recommend? I...
  16. M

Throttle position sensor w/o cable throttle

I've read through allot of the TPS trouble shooting here but they all seem to address Throttle bodies that have throttle cable controls not the one that are electronically control. I have a 2010 explorer w/4.0L sohc. Is there a procedure to test this types of TPS, with the TB motor, or do I need...
  17. M

Fuel Line connectors

got a question regarding fuel line connectors, the hair pin connector and springlock connectors, will a hair pin connector fit over the male end for the fuel line if a springlock was originally used? Meaning are the female hair pin & springlock both work the same over the male end of the fuel...
  18. M

checking fuel pressure

Hoping someone maybe able to help out here. On my 2010 4.0L sohc there is no schrader valve anywhere to check fuel presssure. I've been told I need a special T adapter to tap into the fuel line & and fuel rail pipe at the springlock connection. The ford service manual I have says the same thing...
  19. M

Wiring Diagrams

does anyone have online source for complete wiring diagrams that cover the 2010 explorers ? thanks,
  20. M

fuel pipe hose connector

On my 2010 explorer 4.0L sohc on the right side rear by the firewall where the fuel line connects to the fuel pipe connected to the right side fuel rail is a clip that holds the fuel line to the fuel pipe. Is there a trick to get that off without breaking it so it can be used again ? Is this a...
  21. M

Code Scanner with Mode 6

Looking at getting a new scanner and was wonder how important is getting one that supports the Mode 6 is as opposed to scanners that don't support that mode? From what I have read about this it can be very helpful for trouble shooting. TIA
  22. M

Transmission Solenoid Pack

I'm planning on changing the trany filter this fall in my 2010 XLT 4.0L explorer it's got the 5r55s trany. Is there anyway to determine if the Solenoid Pack has been replaced or not? I'm not having issues with the trany at this point she's got about 107,000 miles on it now. I was wondering if...
  23. M

door hinges

my pass., & driver;s door hinges are starting to get on the stiff side lately especially noticeable in cooler temps. what is a good lube to spray on these hinges ? I assume your regular penetrating oil wouldn't really last to long. TIA
  24. M

Throttle body

does any body know if it's possible to operate an electronic throttle body manually under the hood if you don't have a helper around to work the gas pedal ? TIA
  25. M

Operate throttle with TPS

Is there away to manually operate the throttle that has the TPS on the throttle body. If you don't have a helper around to operate the throttle inside is there some sort of trick to do under the hood ? thanks,
Back