Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Most common cause for rough idle?

So this is the second 2nd gen explorer I've had that I've had this issue with the same 06 codes and same rough idle. TID 10 CID 21 and TID 41 and CID 12. My google fu ins't the best. The dpfe sensor melted replaced that, EGR didn't seem to be working but a new EGR on it. I've used a smoke...
  2. G

Rear hatch issues?

So I am working on the rear hatch on my 2000 and I am aware of the issue with the clip and the door handle, I assumed that was the issue as I tore it apart I installed the new one and it still does not open, I went as far as to directly use a zip tie between the handle and the lever and still...
  3. G

Stock Radio Compatibility

I have a 2000 explorer xls with the single cd. It works but no longer displays. I was looking to just grab an OEM one with a cassette player (since you can use those cassette AUX tapes) I like the look of stock and want to just plug and play but I have no idea if it is the Mach system or the...
  4. G

When installing a new dash cluster does it need programmed?

Just bought an 00 explorer for 450 bucks. So glad to have one again. I am excited to get back into things Just needs some minor things like the doors need new handles hatch won't open other minor crap. Actually runs really really well. The odometer is out and the shift indicator is off to the...
  5. G

Making an explorer FWD?

So as some of you know I'm in the market for new second-gen and I ran across this ad today and I just wonder what the heck was done to this car and how easy it would be to convert back. I spoke with the lady and she really has no clue, part of me wonders if she just didn't know the terminology...
  6. G

1st gen aviator reliablity?

So I am in the market for an explorer platform vehicle and I haven't really given much thought into the Aviator, I know it has the 4v 4.6. Is it a reliable vehicle? most I am looking at are around the 170k mark. What are the common failures that owners have experienced? What is the price of...
  7. G

Things to look out for when buying 2nd gen 5.0

I've been off here for a few years but never forgot my old mountaineer. I've owned a few cars in between but nothing really came close to it. The only thing that I did not care for was the lack of power and inability to tow (granted right now I'm in an 00 CRV so anything beats that powerwise) I...
  8. G

1998 Ford F-250 Lariat info

I am looking at buying this truck, It is 4x4 has 270k (not bad for my area see them up to 450k) with the 5.4L Triton. Has a fifth wheel. Basically are there any inherent issues with this year of truck I know about the spark plugs blowing but is there is anything else I should be aware of...
  9. G

90 f150 manual to auto swap?

Looking at buying this truck, 1990 f150 5.0 *will entertain any offer* kid has the trans tore apart so It will need a new one, at this point how much of a pain would it be to just swap in an auto trans? Copy and pasted add here for those that don't wanna click the link 1990 ford f-150 5.0 302...
  10. G

Towing with a 99 mountaineer?

Looking to get a camper and pull it from Utah to Pa. The max weight on NADA guides says the tow capacity is 3500lbs. Is that accurate? I know these aren't built for towing but it's the only vehicle I've got. It does have the factory tow package and the superior shift kit upgrade. But it is only...
  11. G

iac bolt size

Lost the bolts anyone know the size or part # 99 mountaineer 4.0l
  12. G

Error code help

So I have the V6 99 mounty I was using torque pro and it's giving me a $53 $07 indicating a misfire in cylinder 7. Problem is it is a V6 so it only has six cylinders...What could cause this, It is running rough but I thought that was from the 41 11 in $06 mode I was getting and am going to clean...
  13. G

Transmission hard parts THP warning

I bought a valve body from transmissionhardparts.net via their ebay store and the item I received was slightly rusted and missing gaskets. I took my mounty to the local AAMCO to have them install it and they discovered it was missing gasket THP gave me the run around and told me that it had...
  14. G

Difficulty of 5r55e Valve body swap?

So how hard is it to do a VB swap on a 5r55e. Does this look like a good replacement? http://www.ebay.com/itm/5R55E-4R55E-Valve-Body-Updated-With-Shift-Kit-New-Solenoid-Dyno-Tested-4WD-95-/112322151732?fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3AMountaineer&hash=item1a26ec0534:g:304AAOSwuLZYyggC&vxp=mtr I've...
  15. G

99 V6 mountaineer transmission part #

I have looked around a bit and I can't find the part # for the transmission I know the v8 is the 4R70W is it the same for the v6? Also are there any good after market transmissions for explorers/mountaineers. mine is struggling to shift at about 1000 rpms.
  16. G

turn signal only works when the hazards are on!

So The blinkers only work when I have the hazard pushed down and use the turn signal lever. They do not work as hazard lighs, and they don't work when it is not pushed down. I happened to have an extra flasher relay laying in my glove box so I replaced that but no dice. Anyone have this specific...
  17. G

Fuel pump access

I searched the forum, I read about access panels in 1st gen but what about 3rd gen? a few people asked the question I didn't see answers. I need to change my fuel pump it went out but I don't have the tools or place to drop the tank, I live in an apartment complex and I don't think my jack will...
  18. G

Mountaineer truck conversion?

So there is this jeep Cherokee driving around my area that has the cargo area converted to a truck bed. Anyone ever do this with a mounty? If so any pics
  19. G

Engine starts then stalls at idle

So 99 v6 mounty, when I start it up it revs up but then the idle goes super low and sometimes it stalls. I have checked for vacuum leaks very thoroughly, I am thinking it may be the IAC unit but would like to hear what you guys think before I put money into a part. I took the IAC off cleaned it...
  20. G

Stall on start up

So I have my 99 mounty with the v6 drove up to the gas station today and went back out tried to start it to leave it started idled for a second and died, did it a second time and I really had to crank it for it to start, drove home and idled it for a good 15 minutes to see if it was gonna die...
  21. G

Custom center consoles?

Thinking of making a custom center console for the 99 mounty. I have a CB, a linear amp, a HAM radio and some other various things I want in my truck but have no real place for so I'm thinking a boxy design. If anyone could share their set ups or have feedback I'd love to see, to get some idea...
  22. G

Mounty Pa speaker?

So I picked up a new antenna and pa speaker for my old Uniden and I popped the hood to find a place to mount the speaker in my 99 mounty, needless to say the engine compartment is pretty much full. Any suggestions on where to mount this? (it's a 5in pyle) I don't want it on the roof or anywhere...
  23. G

LED bar wiring and switch set up

So I ordered a light bar and I am waiting to get it in the mail in the mean time I am wondering where all you guys have your switches at, I have one for bumper foglights wired under the center console I would like to see just some different setups if yall don't mind sharing
  24. G

Best Mountaineer Mods?

So I've been reading through the forum for about a week now different things, just signed up I figure I will just make one post asking a lot of questions. So I've had my mountaineer for a while now had a few of the typical things go wrong with it, IE the flasher, oil pressure sending unit it has...
Back