Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

YES, you can install rear headrests in a PIU

I will admit, when I first very briefly looked into this, I stupidly believed all of the posts where people said it was not possible to install 2nd row headrests. I wonder how many others have wasted time and money unnecessarily replacing entire seats or interiors because of wrong information...
  2. K

new General G-Max Justice Tires...

Looks like it may have been announced last year, but now appears to be on the gov procurement list as of 4/1/19. 245/55r18 retail pricing appears to be $344/tire - street price north of $200/tire, even approaching $250/tire - fleet pricing $125/tire. Continental Shows Dealers New Law...
  3. K

PIU - replace tires individually or in axle pairs/all 4?

I know a lot of people like to post about how sensitive the PTU and AWD system is to tire sizing and many claim tires need to be replaced in axle pairs or even all 4 at the same time (5 if you include spare). Apparently that is not the case with the PIU and you can replace a single tire with a...
  4. K

Michigan State Police’s 2019 Preliminary Vehicle Testing Results

Full .pdf should be out soon (usually November). The 2020 Police Interceptor Utility EcoBoost turned the fastest 0-60 mph (5.77 seconds) and 0-100 mph times (13.59 seconds) of all vehicles tested, including sedans. The EcoBoost also had the highest top speed of any vehicle tested, at 150 mph...
  5. K

U.S. ends safety probe into nearly 50,000 U.S. Ford police vehicles

U.S. ends safety probe into nearly 50,000 U.S. Ford police vehicles
  6. K

Anyone had front window glass TSB 18-2091 or 17-2267 done on their 16+?

Just curious about others experiences. I had these repairs done on my 16 and the windows operate very smoothly and there is no chatter/jumping at this time. However, if the windows are partially or fully opened while driving, they seem to rattle over bumps. If the windows are fully opened...
  7. K

Have you checked your PTU fluid level/replaced your fluid?

I had been meaning to check the PTU fluid in my 2016 that has ~15K miles and just got around to that last night. I was a little shocked to find that only 8 oz of fluid drained from the unit. Fluid wasn't too bad looking though and was mostly translucent. There was a pretty big ball of metal...
  8. K

Older article about PIU AWD system

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=5091 "The AWD may distribute up to 100 percent of the torque to any one wheel, front or rear, left or right. For example, the left front tire may be the only one of the four with traction, so it will get all of the torque. Or...
  9. K

Ford investigating engine failure of 13 West Palm Beach patrol cars

Ford investigating engine failure of 13 West Palm Beach patrol cars excerpts from the article: West Palm Beach City Administrator Jeff Green said the cars affected are the Ford Taurus Interceptor and the Ford Explorer Interceptor with a 3.7-liter engine. Officials pulled other cars and looked...
  10. K

2017 PIU IPC issue?

The IPC in my 17 is displaying an image of the vehicle on the right side of the display in the IPC. It used to display the status of the AUX switches. Not sure what happened or when. I tried reverting to the original as built data in the IPC and BCM, but can't get the AUX switch status back...
  11. K

2018 PIU EB at Detroit auction on 4/4/2018

For anyone interested, there is a <8K mile 2018 PIU EB with decent equipment (BLIS/RKE/Center Console/Police Idle/Cloth Rear Seat/Carpet/Alum Wheels/Auto Headlamp) scheduled for Manheim Detroit on 4/4/2018 (Factory auction/Ford dealers only). Sold for $31,700
  12. K

Push Bar - 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Police Interceptor Utility Explorer

Just a heads up, there is a brand new Westin push bar on craigslist - metro detroit (se michigan) if anyone is interested: Push Bar - 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Police Interceptor Utility Explorer
  13. K

2016-18 Police Utility Forscan Settings

Post your 2016-18 Police Utility Forscan settings here. Enable RKE 720-02-01 xxxx xxxx xCxx - RKE menu in IPC 726-38-01 x1xx xxxx xxxx 726-41-01 xxx4 xxxx xxxx This is just to enable the full RKE functionality on the vehicle - There are 2 different fobs for 16+ PIUs (blue button for hatch or...
  14. K

LCD screen in dash inop (intermittent)

I have been having intermittent issues with LCD screen and radio controls in 2016 PIU generating error code U3000 - Control Module (General Memory Failure) in Forscan. Basically when this happens, the 4" LCD screen is black, radio doesn't work, and all radio buttons are inop - still beeps when...
  15. K

Any instructions for PIU auxiliary air conditioning (rear air/heat)

I noticed some unusual functioning out of the rear air/heat and wasn't sure if it was normal or not. For the most part, when I use the rear air at any cold setting or in the middle temp setting at any fan speed, it seems to blow all air out of the 2nd row and cargo area roof vents. When I...
  16. K

2016/7 PIU - 4 way flat trailer wiring?

I have a Curt #13100 trailer hitch inbound. It will mainly be used for a bike rack and a platform to move small stuff - not really for towing a trailer - so I don't really need wiring, but I'd like to eventually get wiring in case I do want to tow with it. Does anyone know if the Curt 56172...
  17. K

Does anyone know how the rear door power window delete option works?

Is it similar/same as the rear door handle inop option? Wondering if the window motor and switches are present, just disconnected, or if they are not there and the glass is somehow fixed in place.
  18. K

Hello. New 2017 PI Utility owner checking in.

Hello all. Just picked up a new 2017 PI Utility recently (used with only 22 miles actually). It's white with not a lot of options on it, but it has the matching cloth rear seats which I wanted (not a fan of the vinyl rear seats). I have a factory center console coming in soon and am really...
Back