Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Querying 1991 Explorer electronics

Thanks, gents, very much.
  2. G

Yeah, and I'm wondering whether -- since I'll have it apart anyway -- I shouldn't just change it while I'm in there. After all, it's 27 years old. And if so, would this be a jobber part or something I'd need to suss out from Ford?
  3. G

Really appreciate that since I'm absolutely not a mechanic. The water system is topped up, yes. The fan motor bearing would be logical since the noise is kind of on-again, off-again, and it's prevalent only when the coolant is cold. Hmmm. Thanks again, and I'll investigate that.
  4. G

Today I realized that the "crackling" sound is more like a "trickling" sound, even though there are no fluids leaking anywhere. I've already mentioned that the sound prevails on a cold engine. But I noticed today that it's more prevalent when the heater fan is on high. Turn the fan speed...
  5. G

I think the crackling sound is prevalent when the weather's cold and the Explorer hasn't yet warmed up. Make any sense to you?
  6. G

My 1991 Explorer so far has no electrical issues, but for the longest time there has been a crackling sound coming from under the dash on the passenger's side. I don't know if it's related to the Explorer's electronics, and maybe somebody here has some idea. Last week the windshield cleaner...
  7. G

What can I expect to break down?

I goofed big-time on this. I was in there yesterday and lo and behold ... I've already got a transmission fluid cooler. I don't know how I'd missed that, but I will say there ain't much room in there to begin with! Then I started thinking about what iLoveMyExploder said above, that coolers...
  8. G

Yes, thanks a million, rschaab. I will do that. One or more of the folks above mentioned the possibility that bearings could give out. I asked which bearings they might be suggesting, but nobody's answered that yet. Maybe you've had experience with that?
  9. G

No, this is a 4x4. It also has air and cruise control. Maybe they all did. I should mention that I've driven to Mazatlan before. Agreed that it's not the land of manicured highways that we have, but I wouldn't consider it that absurdly wild and dangerous.
  10. G

Not that I don't appreciate sage advice ... but where we go the cars are locked in a compound during our stay. So if they steal it from us, they'd have to do it enroute, at gunpoint, and physically throw us out of the vehicle. I don't think an old Explorer is THAT appealing to them when you...
  11. G

Thanks, everyone. This is all VERY HELPFUL information. My Explorer lacks the tranny cooler, and I will definitely install one. I have already replaced all rad hoses, even though the original ones looked new. I'm going in for new refrigerant hoses next week. The brakes have now been...
  12. G

I have a 1991 Explorer (Eddie Bauer) V6 with only about 23,000 miles on it. It sat untouched for more than 20 years. I did all the minor things -- brakes, filters, et cetera. It runs like a new car, which it almost is. My wife and I are considering a round trip to Mexico next January. My...
Back