Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. V

What to look for in used early-mid 90s Aerostars.

Well the guy who had the one I wanted wouldnt sell it for less than 1800 even though it had no working AC, a cracked windshield and other less serious issues. No way I was paying that much for a van with no AC when its 90 degrees out already so I bought myself a 2000 Sienna. Not quite a Previa...
  2. V

Well the guy with the AWD aerostar I wanted wouldn't come down to a reasonable price. No way I'm paying 1800 bucks for a van with a cracked windshield no check engine light and no functional AC in the desert. So I bought a Sienna, and that's probably as close as I'll ever come to owning an...
  3. V

Is that a situation where you just replace the compressor?
  4. V

I've driven only Toyotas since 1993, with the exception of one Ford van (I think an early Aerostar) that didnt last long. If the right AWD Toyota Previa comes along I would buy it and my Aerostar search would be over. But they are getting hard to find in AWD under 200,000 miles, so I'm looking...
  5. V

I loathe ABS and unplug it as soon as I buy a vehicle. But what's "SRS", and how can I detect leaks on the ac clutch? I'm probbaly going to have the ac diagnosed & estimated at Ford on the one I'm considering now.
  6. V

Yes, buttons on the wheel to set the cruise speed, sometimes worked and sometimes seemed to not work but then it would work after a few tries. I'm definitely going to get the codes pulled since the check engine light wasn't working.
  7. V

Where is your Aero Bomber writeup?
  8. V

My dream for the Aero bomber.

I like the philosophy of living in the van but I have lived in my Previa for 65 days straight with a lot more dog poundage and none of the expensive amenities of that van. And I'm a lot older than that couple. I travel with 85 pounds of dog, a banjo, guitar (sometimes 2 guitars) mountain bike...
  9. V

What's under the seat? I didnt catch that. The one I'm looking at has dual ac and both blowers work but no cold air. I do need to figure that out before buying. Also what may be hidden by non-functioning check engine light. I guess I can just do a code check and see if any show up.But there was...
  10. V

Another thing I noticed was the a/c was fidldy. It didnt work right away but then it did but sometimes after I braked I'd have to push the set/reset button several times before it engaged again. Is that a known concern? Also the check engine light didn't come on when I started it. I suppose...
  11. V

97. Whats the cheapest way to troubleshoot it? It may just be a leak. I think the owner should do it but not sure I can convince him of that. He might knock of a few hundred for it though. I priced the compressor at 139 aftermarket and 180 installation, but I think I could probably install it...
  12. V

Yeah I notice that on the one I looked at. I havent pulled the cab panel to see what I could see, but having Previas in the past I'm used to difficult access. In those you have to remove the passenger seat, doorjam trim, peel back carpeting and 2 access panels to get at the plugs. Although once...
  13. V

I'm going to be looking at a couple early mid 90s XLT;s with AWD (or without) and the 4.0, for use as a camping-travel van Other than less than superb gas mileage, what should I be on the lookout for in vans of this type with between 100 and 200 K? What are the weak points? I don't expect...
  14. V

Looking at Aerostars

Hiya! I'm just a guy looking to possibly purchase an older Aerostar primarily as a travel/camping van (non-conversion) because my Toyota died.:dead: I owned and Aerostar once a long long time ago but never got to use it much before something bad happened. Its been so long I dont even remember...
Back