Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Will MAF cause bucking

My '98 5.0L V8 is doing the same thing on hills. I have to step on the gas hard and then it kicks out of overdrive and the bucking stops. MAF issue?
  2. G

Recommended tire pressure

I bumped mine up to 42 PSI. The ride is stiffer but the shocks actually seem to be functioning better. Definitely less wallowing/wandering than i saw at 27-28 PSI. I will check the gas mileage over the next couple of weeks to see if it improves. i was getting about 250-260 on a tank (about 18...
  3. G

Recommended tire pressure

Hi guys, I was reading the recommended tire pressure on the driver door of my '98 XLT AWD 5.0 and it says 26PSI cold. Isn't that kind of low? Is that what i should be running? Thanks. Goober
  4. G

Occasional hesitation/misfiring when accelerating.

Thanks for the info, exploded!! i will definitely try out what you suggested. Where is bg 44 available? autozone? Also, my X has 66k miles on it. Should i try the transmission flush/fill at this mileage? Goober.
  5. G

Thanks for the info, guys. i will check the spark plugs and the MAF. I have never cleaned the MAF. The spark plugs were done about 8 months/7000 miles back. The check engine light has not come on so far. Another question i had was.....would the transmission be causing this in any way? maybe...
  6. G

Hi, I have a 98 XLT V8 AWD explorer. Occasionally, when i accelerate while going on an upslope (on-ramp, small hill, etc), it seems like the truck hesitates or misfires for a little bit. If i really step on the gas hard, then the transmission downshifts and things are fine. I tried adding a...
  7. G

awwwwww man

There's a recall on the driver side recliner bolt. Try taking it to your local ford dealer and see if they will fix it. i have a 98 explorer xlt v8 and they did the recall. Goober
  8. G

Average MPG

Mine's about 14 MPG. '98 XLT 5.0 V8. Stock with 15inch wheels. Goober
  9. G

front end 97 sport

I seem to have the same problem with a 98 XLT AWD V8. Any ideas? Goober
  10. G

Air Tools needed for suspension work?

Thanks. Will just a small compressor do the job? or do i need a good one? Goober
  11. G

Air Tools needed for suspension work?

Hi all, Are air tools needed for suspension work (lower bjs, tie rod replacement, etc)? or can it be done with regular tools? Goober
  12. G

Me 1, Clunks 0

Tapping sound somewhere under driver side I read this post, and i have been hearing a similar tapping (clunking) sound going over bumps for the last few days. The handling has been deteriorating over the last couple of months too. The tapping seems to come from under the driver side, somewhere...
  13. G

98 XLT - Ball Joints Not Replaceable?

Thanks. Is there a way to make sure it is the ball joints that need replacement? Goober
  14. G

98 XLT - Ball Joints Not Replaceable?

Hi, I have a 98 Ford Explorer V8 XLT. I am feeling a little play in the steering and the steering vibrates a little at high speeds (70-75MPH) and when i brake at high speeds. The suspension is also getting rough. I think it may be the ball joints so i was reading my Haynes manual and it said...
  15. G

HELP brake job in progress

Steering vibration when turning while stopped. Hi there, I too have had an issue with steering vibration when i turn the wheel while stopped. It only happens when there is some resistance like a little snow on the ground or something. Any ideas? Also, when i brake at around 70MPH or so, i get...
  16. G

Jarring Ride Over Bumps

Hi, I bought a 1998 Explorer XLT AWD a couple of months back. The ride was jarring over bumps, so i took it to the dealer and they replaced the front shocks. The ride was still jarring and i brought it back to the dealer, but they said it was just the tires. I'm wondering if there is something...
Back