Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Rainlord

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Well, this post is about 2 years in the making. With two smaller kids at home, there's no time in the day to do anything. I guess I can thank Corona for finishing this project, despite it not being quite what I had planned in the beginning. To follow up from where I left off, here's my last...
  2. Rainlord

By center stack I assume you either mean the sides of the screen/AC controls, or the sides of the "shifter area"? If that's what you mean it's very easy. - The sides of the screen/AC controls pop out with a simple pull. I take them off way too often, so my technique is to start at the top...
  3. Rainlord

Alternator/battery/cable issue

How often do you drive it? I get that warning quite a lot, and in my case, I don't drive my car that often (once/twice a week, usually weekends), so for me it somewhat makes sense as something will be drawing power from it even when it just sits there. After a long drive it takes a long time...
  4. Rainlord

Humming at 60mph+ driving my crazy

Crossbars will make some noise at high speeds, so it's very likely that's your source of humming. Try removing them and see, should be easy to do. I posted this somewhere else too a long time ago, but I can't find it right now. People tend to put their crossbars way too far forward. I have...
  5. Rainlord

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

Just in case, for those in Europe looking to have this done. I contacted Ford Europe and this is one of the US recalls that they have already approved for Europe (for example, the exhaust in cabin recall is currently not "released" for Europe and thus cannot be fixed for free). If your VIN is...
  6. Rainlord

Interior Panel Fuse 4 pops as soon as power is applied.

Just to rule it out, you could remove the bulbs for the sections that are affected, which are easy to reach (overheads, maps, visors, glove box), to see if it's to do with a bad bulb that's sending power to the ground and is thus shorting the fuse.
  7. Rainlord

Heck of a time unclogging sunroof drain

And worst case, pull them out completely without unscrewing. I've had countless that will never unscrew, and 80% can be pulled out without breaking anything if done carefully. You can buy new ones in 50 packs on eBay for nothing, or maybe ask your Ford dealer for a few for free :) Edit: Looks...
  8. Rainlord

Under dash fuse box question

I wouldn't worry about the airbag cable, that one is not in the pillar :) In any case. Any 12V switched that you find will work as a cutoff as - if the battery is low (< 12V) - all the 12V sources throughout the car will have the same voltage. To be honest, the pillar ones are so much easier to...
  9. Rainlord

Cool! Clever to put them outside the headlight. Which ones did you get?
  10. Rainlord

led light bar wired to work with only high beams?

It's pretty easy, I did it with my bar. You're on the right track, all you need is a relay. The Highbeam wire is one of the wires going into the headlight housing (obviously) and you can easily find it with a multimeter (if memory is correct, I think it's blue, but don't take my word for it...
  11. Rainlord

Sync 3 apps youtube

I'm pretty sure videos are not possible, as it's a probably a huge liability issue for Ford to enable it. See here for a possible workaround by using a 3rd party app on your phone (Android): Why don't they allow video play back on the Sync 3 system? : Ford
  12. Rainlord

HVAC Control panel

You're trying to decide if you want to upgrade to a new Explorer, but you're on the fence because of a faulty button? First, I would just stop by a dealer and get that taken care of. Or, you can replace the HVAC front yourself if you assume it's broken (two trim panels to pop off, 4 screws to...
  13. Rainlord

Hi! Sorry for the slow reply, I was on vacation. Here's a post that has links to the updates I...

Hi! Sorry for the slow reply, I was on vacation. Here's a post that has links to the updates I did and installation for that light bar: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/5th-gen-explorer-with-led-light-bar.476692/page-5#post-3666624
  14. Rainlord

Auxbeam 50" curved for Explorer 11-16, what bracket?

Great info! They'd probably be too far off as my bar is 50", but maybe I could put some spacers in between on their 52" option. At least another possibility :)
  15. Rainlord

Auxbeam 50" curved for Explorer 11-16, what bracket?

Do you happen to know which Ranger brackets he used? Or at least which Ranger model + year he got the brackets for? There's quite a few different ones available and I'd hate to buy the wrong ones.
  16. Rainlord

2020 Explorer

Not sure how many here are familiar with Autogefuhl on YouTube, but they do very in-depth reviews of cars. They went over the 2020 Explorer (Limited) at the Detroit auto show and did a pretty good job covering things you may not hear from other reviews, such as material feels, little details on...
  17. Rainlord

2020 Explorer

According to this page with info on the 2020 on ford.com there are two blue colors, "Atlas Blue" which is the more standard blue, and then "Blue" (great color name Ford) that is the darker gray/blue. All I can find on street vs track is: "Each of those packs get 21-inch aluminum wheels, with...
  18. Rainlord

2020 Explorer

Here's a "first impressions" video of the 2020 ST:
  19. Rainlord

2020 Explorer

A few more pictures, nothing new though and the title is misleading: 2020 Ford Explorer Spied Partially Uncamouflaged In Public Be sure to press the arrows in the main picture for all pictures.
  20. Rainlord

LED Headlight Conversions

As someone who has gone through many LED headlights that you put into the existing reflector housing, I can personally attest to how crappy the resistor/capacitor boxes are, they're the first to burn out or start blowing fuses due to something inside them having gone bad. Same with "flicker...
  21. Rainlord

Is It Possible to Lock Out the Garage Door Opener Unless the Motor is Running?

Never seen a Forscan code for that, so I don't think that's a known option at least. Perhaps your dealer can tell you what's possible through the proper software - if there's an option for only allowing it to work when the car is on. If that's a no-go, perhaps get a garage remote that you take...
  22. Rainlord

To follow up with my last post. I finished the bracket for the other side, which was a little harder than just flipping the design over as the center hole that holds the LED light stays the same on both sides (as the light itself is not mirrored) A test fit shows it's spot on as well, phew...
  23. Rainlord

2020 Explorer

Not sure who was first with the concept of a modular car construction platform, but Volvo is doing the same thing with the entire line now, all their V-line, S-line and XC-vehicles share the same modular platform, and they are quite different cars in general. I guess it takes time to get...
  24. Rainlord

2020 Explorer

I admit I was expecting a bigger re-design, but I guess if it doesn't look like the Explorer then somehow it isn't one. I still like it. Looks a little more aggressive, and for Europe it's still a great size. Any bigger over here would be too big to park. I'll wait until I see the interior and...
  25. Rainlord

Finished headlight bracket design #2: Which I had 3D printed with a PC/ABS mix: And from every measurement I've done and test fit of both bracket on the LED projector + inside the housing, looks like I hit the jackpot. Still a long way to go, but it's nice to have progress!
Back