Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Ford explorer to keep or sell ...

Rack and pinion were replaced at no cost. I got my explorer back, came home to drop off my personal items and went straight to the dealership and traded it in. I was about to close on a truck, I have been truck shopping for over a month, and last Monday I found the truck I wanted, I was...
  2. A

Thanks Peter. I see that and I am pretty sure mine is covered this time around, but I don't think I want to deal with this kind of unreliability in the future.
  3. A

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Nice to read this thread and see how much money this fix will take. The more I read the more I realize this is not a question of IF, but WHEN. I had the software update done 3 months ago at 99,000 miles, after being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no power steering while on vacation...
  4. A

Unfortunately I am getting ready to sell my 2011 with almost 100k miles. 3 months ago the dealership made the software update. That time it happened in the middle of nowhere, I had to get it towed, it was a huge inconvenience since we were in vacation. Note: The Ex is our third car and gets...
  5. A

advance trac warning

Goodbye Ford! You have really let me down now... can't trust this car anymore. If you know of anybody in Arizona looking for an unreliable SUV that I used to love a lot, contact me. Dec 15th 2017 was my original post with the issue I had, you can read it above. This morning (with 99,650 miles)...
  6. A

advance trac warning

The Phoenix dealer did nothing. I dropped it off, told them the Payson dealership said the steering rack needs to be replaced. They tested my Ex and said everything is working fine now and that there is no need to replace anything, that the software updated it’s all that needed to be done. They...
  7. A

advance trac warning

Ok here is the update: The dealership in Payson said I need to replace the steering column, like I read on the thread Peter posted above (thanks Peter). But he said it will take them 5 days to get that part. So he suggested I drive it back to Phoenix and get it fixed closed to home. They did a...
  8. A

advance trac warning

Well that was bad... but could of been worse. Went on a roadtrip and after 2 hours on the road my 2011 Ex w 99k miles lit up like a xmas tree. Advance Trac warning and Power Steering warning. I was going up a big long hill of over 1,000 feet of elevation gain (going easy at 55mph), ambient...
  9. A

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

I was wondering if you could tell me what is the mechanics behind releasing the shaft. I did it because it was in the directions but I really have no clue for the reasoning. Thanks,
  10. A

Can you clarify what do you mean by "a while"? I have had the lift and new wheels/tires for 1,500 miles and everything is looking good for now. Thanks,
  11. A

AWD turning off on 2014 XLT

Ok that makes me feel a lot better, I would imagine that is how its designed to be used. The posts at the beginning of this thread make it sound like they just started the car and try to drive a few feet and the AWD goes off. I wonder if they did something before to overheat the system.
  12. A

Now that I googled what PTU means (hahaha) I think you are right. What worries me is that people have had this issue in the snow driving in normal conditions. I would imagine the chances of overheating then would be a lot lower. I can't wait to do some snow off roading this winter but I know I...
  13. A

You are correct. By "using AWD on and off" I mean I would use the terrain management system as needed. On a different note: There was one very steep hill that I couldn't get enough traction. My friends on the cherokees with 4 low where able to do it. I was later wondering if using the break...
  14. A

I wanted to share that I also got the AWD OFF message. I was driving in sand for about 10 to 15 minutes and the engine was doing a lot of work. I never got stuck, it was a river bed here in AZ. All of the sudden I see the message AWD OFF and I got stuck right away. I didn't know about this issue...
  15. A

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Haha I hear you. Me on the other hand.... I got sad when I washed all the mud and dirt off, it looks so much better after hitting a puddle or all dusty! I have almost 100k miles on it now. I bought it with 70k over 2 years ago. About a year ago my job gave me a company car ( a gorgeous Prius...
  16. A

The spare size is something that concerns me. I looked at the compartment for the spare and it seems I could fit a taller tire, but not much thicker. I am planning to do some testing at a tire shop to see how much bigger of a tire I can fit as a spare. And I did see the 3% rule here before. Do...
  17. A

So we were coming off really easy dirt road so I didn't have it in any mode. Due to the excitement of this obstacle and wanting to try it, I didn't put it to any mode when I went down to the bottom of the wash that's why I paused down there. I went ahead and put it to the first mode, which has...
  18. A

I installed the Traxda lift, along with 17" wheels and Geolander 265/70
  19. A

So I went with 17" wheels 35mm offset (stock 20" wheels had 45mm offset). And Geolanders 265/70R17. They don't rub at all, not even in reverse or when turning all the way, so I was happy I didn't have to trim anything. My new set up is about 5lbs lighter per corner, so very happy I am not...
  20. A

I installed the lift over the weekend. And already got new wheels and tires on it. Very happy with the new look. I consider myself a pretty handy guy but I have never done a big project in any car. I felt I had the right tools so decided to do it myself. I went very slowly, making sure I...
  21. A

I am about to pull the trigger on purchasing the lift kit. I have read this whole thread 2 or 3 times in the past. I have never seen the front to rear height difference addressed by any of the posts. Why does the Traxda kit specs say 2.5" lift for the front and 1.25" lift for the rear...
Back