1. A

Strange problem

Thanks, I'll check that out.
  2. A

Strange problem

What is that conector for ?
  3. A

Strange problem

It as there for 6 months and they rebuilt it 3 times. They say it's good.
  4. A

Strange problem

I have a prblem I hope someone N e else had, and can help me get my Explorer fixed. When driving my 1996 ExPlorer, 4.0L V6 auto trans , sometimes it just goes to neutral, or kicks out of over five, or doesn't go into overdrive. Also,, when everything is good, for no reason, the O/D off light...
  5. A

Checks out.

Agree. I have a reusable K&N filter, and I washd ND lightly oid it. It was very dirty. The throttle body was very nasty. It's been a few years sincI last cleaned it as well as the IAC module. But all is good now, runs great, shift ropperly now and seems to all bine. Thanks for thenput.
  6. A

Checks out.

Thanks for the rely, that is just what I was thinkig. I'm happy with te performance since I cleaned everything. I could NOT believe how nasty the throttle body and IAC was. Took an entire can of carb cleaner to clean them. Thas again.
  7. A

Checks out.

Have a 1996 explorer bone stock with V6 4.0l motor . I have been having transmission issues. Automatic transmission 4r55e. Shifting weird, in out of overdrive, not going into overdrive at all or waiting to shift at 55mph. I had the transmission. Rebuilt and it was better but just not right...
  8. A

strange noise

well I have been to several alignment and balance shops, but I do not remember any of them checking caster or camber. they put on some reflective things on my wheels and set things up with the computer. I would think that if the caster or camber were off the outside or inside of my tires would...
  9. A

Motorcraft reman steering racks

strange, I ordered my replacement rack from RockAuto and it cam with all that stuff.
  10. A

Rough Start - For About 30 Seconds

well Joe, have you reset your computer ? you should remove the electrical connector from the IAC with the motor running ( warmed up) and it should idle at 500rpm. if it does not, remove the cover from the front of the throttle body, look there on the front, you should find a threaded rod that...
  11. A

strange noise

I have a beautiful 1996 XLT and it is in perfect condition. I live and drive in Abu Dhabi, about 45 min. south of Dubai. I was very lucky to find this Explorer here. I have done so much to it to make it perfect. BUT, I have a strange symptom I am hoping someone can help steer me in the right...
  12. A

P0401

I have a 1996 explorer that 1 or 2 times a month, the check engine light comes on. When I read the code I get a P0401, indicating excessive EGR flow like the EGR valve is stuck open. I have a new EGR valve, tube and sensors. And I still get the P0401. Any ideas? I have already changed the...
  13. A

Adding a backup / rearview camera

I installed a back up cam on my 1996 XLT. i mounted it to the top of my license plate. ran the power wire from the back up light to power the cam and ran the cable from the cam up to the stero for display. I had to find the wire under the drivers side kisk panel that goes hot when in reverse to...
  14. A

rough idle

thanks for the info
  15. A

rough idle

I was driving my 1996 4.0 automatic explorer down the highway at about 75 mph with the cruise control on. all of a sudden my tranny popped out of overdrive and went into neutral, the engine tached up to almost 6000 rpm before i could shut down the cruise control. I fixed the tranny problem, it...
  16. A

Losing Vaccume at high speed

Thank you very much. I will check that.
  17. A

Losing Vaccume at high speed

I have a 98 Xlt auto trans. I love the old Girl, never lets me down. I do a lot of highway speed traveling for my job and I have noticed that when I'm cursing at speeds over 6o or 70, that from time to time the A/C vents stop blowing out of the A/C Vents, and it switches to the Defrost vents. If...
  18. A

Howling noise coming from front end - wheel bearing hub assy changed out.

Well I had the same problem with my 96 explorer. Changed the wheel bearing hubs twice, no difference what I did was disconnect the front drive shaft and go for a ride. Same noise, so I put the front drive shaft back in and removed the 2 cc shafts that connect the wheels to the front Dana 35...
  19. A

Which Front axle do I have

Hello all, I have been looking for the answer to my question everywhere but can't find an answer. I have a 1996 Explorer automatic transmission, 4.0L V6 Motor. There is a switch on the dash for $ wheel drive, the position are 2wheel 4 auto and 4 low. I want to get a rebuild kit for my noisy...
  20. A

A/C with heater ??

Thanks guys for the input. I guess I won't worry about it. all good.
  21. A

A/C with heater ??

So let me get this right. When in heater mode, defrost mode , I guess all mode except for vent. The a/c will cycle on and off ?
  22. A

A/C with heater ??

Wow. OK. So even in the heater mode it comes on sometimes ? Thanks.
  23. A

A/C with heater ??

Hi, I have a 1996 ford explorer xlt 4.0l V6OHV engine. love the car, but I have this one issue. when the climate control switch is set to defrost or heater positions, ( turned to the right) I have noticed that my A/C compressor is also on. is this correct ? I would think that rotating the switch...
  24. A

Strange Coolant Leak on 96 Explorerks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4.

IT WAS THE LOWER INTAKE GASKET, BUT IT WAS SUCH A SLOW SMALL LEAK, I USED STEEL SEAL IN MY RADIATOR, IT STOPPED THE LEAK AND WHEN IT WAS FIXED, I DRAINED THE WATER, AND ADDED 50/50. STILL NO LEAKING...SO FAR SO GOOD
  25. A

Strange Coolant Leak on 96 Explorerks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4.

Thanks Bill for the info. I will for sure check all that. I do not want it to be an intake gasket. It looks like alot of work to change. Thanks.
Back