Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Strange problem

I have a prblem I hope someone N e else had, and can help me get my Explorer fixed. When driving my 1996 ExPlorer, 4.0L V6 auto trans , sometimes it just goes to neutral, or kicks out of over five, or doesn't go into overdrive. Also,, when everything is good, for no reason, the O/D off light...
  2. A

Checks out.

Have a 1996 explorer bone stock with V6 4.0l motor . I have been having transmission issues. Automatic transmission 4r55e. Shifting weird, in out of overdrive, not going into overdrive at all or waiting to shift at 55mph. I had the transmission. Rebuilt and it was better but just not right...
  3. A

strange noise

I have a beautiful 1996 XLT and it is in perfect condition. I live and drive in Abu Dhabi, about 45 min. south of Dubai. I was very lucky to find this Explorer here. I have done so much to it to make it perfect. BUT, I have a strange symptom I am hoping someone can help steer me in the right...
  4. A

P0401

I have a 1996 explorer that 1 or 2 times a month, the check engine light comes on. When I read the code I get a P0401, indicating excessive EGR flow like the EGR valve is stuck open. I have a new EGR valve, tube and sensors. And I still get the P0401. Any ideas? I have already changed the...
  5. A

rough idle

I was driving my 1996 4.0 automatic explorer down the highway at about 75 mph with the cruise control on. all of a sudden my tranny popped out of overdrive and went into neutral, the engine tached up to almost 6000 rpm before i could shut down the cruise control. I fixed the tranny problem, it...
  6. A

Losing Vaccume at high speed

I have a 98 Xlt auto trans. I love the old Girl, never lets me down. I do a lot of highway speed traveling for my job and I have noticed that when I'm cursing at speeds over 6o or 70, that from time to time the A/C vents stop blowing out of the A/C Vents, and it switches to the Defrost vents. If...
  7. A

Which Front axle do I have

Hello all, I have been looking for the answer to my question everywhere but can't find an answer. I have a 1996 Explorer automatic transmission, 4.0L V6 Motor. There is a switch on the dash for $ wheel drive, the position are 2wheel 4 auto and 4 low. I want to get a rebuild kit for my noisy...
  8. A

A/C with heater ??

Hi, I have a 1996 ford explorer xlt 4.0l V6OHV engine. love the car, but I have this one issue. when the climate control switch is set to defrost or heater positions, ( turned to the right) I have noticed that my A/C compressor is also on. is this correct ? I would think that rotating the switch...
  9. A

Strange Coolant Leak on 96 Explorerks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4.

Hi Folks, I have a 1996 Ford Explorer all stock, with a 4.0L V6. I noticed coolant ( Green ) dripping of the rear of the engine where it meets the tranny. I can't seem to find the leak, it looks like it is on the rear of the motor on the passenger side, it has a small trail of Green water...
  10. A

Headlight wiring help

I installed new headlights in my 96 Explorer that I got on E-Bay. the single piece euro style. They look good but the low beam is very dim. there was no connector on the lights so I put flat spade type connectors and plugged them into the harness connector. I assumed the black was ground. I know...
  11. A

Headlight hassle

I replaced the headlights with those cool E-Bay all in one euro style headlights. they fit and look good. but the problem is the connector, well, there isn't one, i don't know which wire is high, low or ground. they are red, black and blue. I assume the black one is ground. will I hurt my bulbs...
Back