Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Check Charging System Warning PLEASE HELP

You will need to break out your multimeter for this but first I will assume the battery is in good condition. Marginal batteries have been known to cause erratic issues in some vehicles that only go away after replacement. A good battery can last anywhere from 3-5 years depending on your usage...
  2. M

Fuel Issue

I saw this the other day, a sticking baffle door. Maybe this can help. Check out his channel he's got lots of useful vids on Explorers.
  3. M

Visor broke, now various electrical things like radio and windows will not work

If you had a visor with a light up vanity mirror, there is a power wire that runs inside the visor support that may have been damaged when you pulled out the visor. This wire may be touching bare metal and blowing your fuse for lights and radio (not sure if they are on same circuit). I would...
  4. M

Key Fob/transponder problems 2004 Explorer

Have you attempted to re-program the remote? This is a well known procedure, applies to several Ford models. How to Program Ford Remote Keyfob
  5. M

Custom front metal winch bumper

Here are the sketches. Is it ok to weld on the bumper or should a new crossmember be made instead? I plan to add a 2" lift and 32" tires so I think the winch will be ok height wise. What do you guys think? (The images are screenshots from YT video showing how to remove the bumper cover...
  6. M

Custom front metal winch bumper

I am interested in their reply, have they said anything yet? I am currently shopping for a 4th gen Explorer and I saw that there isn't a good front recovery hook/loop available like on the previous models. I've been trying to find good picture of the Exp. with the front bumper cover removed to...
  7. M

2005 explorer traction control issue

Make sure your tires are all the same size and evenly worn and inflated. A difference in rotation due to tires sizes and/or wear may read as wheel slippage to your sensors causing TC to kick in. I would also check for sticking calipers.
  8. M

How to: 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!!

I've been thinking about getting a 4th gen Explorer. However, I really prefer the lower glass opening of the 3rd gen hatch. I suppose if you can put a 4th gen hatch on a 3rd gen body, then I guess you can put a 3rd gen hatch on a 4th gen body. Very interesting!
  9. M

2002 ford explorer XLT 4x4 no air will blow threw vents only threw defrost

Yes, but it depends on where the break is. The door flaps for the vents are vacuum actuated, so even if there is a loss of vacuum, the doors go in to defrost mode by default. This is like a fail safe mode to make sure you can see out of your window even when things go wrong. This is very likely...
  10. M

2002 "DOOR AJAR" which door, how do I narrow it down?

If we are doing bets, I got 5 that says its the driver door wiring gone bad. It's the driver door that gets the most use so it is most likely to have wiring get cracked/ go bad on it. You should check out this vid too:
  11. M

Largest 17" tire which fits into spare location.

Hello, I am running a 255 75 17 (32") Goodyear Wrangler SR-A as the spare and there is no way to get it in the spare tire well without deflating it some. I always have an air compressor so I am not concerned about filling back up. I have read elsewhere as well that a 32" tire would fit in the...
  12. M

Hand held code scanners

You have several choices but you need to set some criteria.You can go cheap and simple all the way to expensive with all the options. Some scanners only read OBDII information, usually the codes that trigger a Check Engine Light. Other scanners can also read the modules that control other...
  13. M

lots of random electric problems...

FordtechMakuloco has a video on the door ajar issue. He also has tons of other super helpful vids that are worth going through.
  14. M

Steering wheel switch upgrade

I think this is a useful tip. Prior to buying my Explorer, I really wanted one with steering wheel controls just to make life that much easier. My search took several months because I could not find one with all the features I wanted. Had I known about this I would have been done sooner. Also, I...
  15. M

installing Explorer Steering Column Shifter Boot ? Tips?

This took me about 25-30 minutes from the time I started until I put away my tools. I also did this in the driveway at night so one arm was holding/ steadying the flashlight. I didn't intend to do it at night but I just went out to the truck to see how hard it was going to be. It started with me...
  16. M

installing Explorer Steering Column Shifter Boot ? Tips?

I just did this last week so maybe I can help. You need to remove the plastic shroud from the steering wheel, then undo the connector for the over drive switch and finally remove the shift lever. Step 1- Remove shroud- Remove two phillips screws from bottom of the steering wheel shroud and...
Back