Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Explorer/Ranger tranny swap

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anybody knows if there are any special considerations when doing this swap...like, will the torque converter need to be swapped also, will it fit, any problems with linkages, etc. or is it a straightup swap? Thanks. Mike
  2. M

My mistake, it was my old Bronco II that had the 2.9. So you're saying no matter the engine, the swap will work?
  3. M

Thanks, that's a big help. What year was the Ranger you got it out of? I know about getting the trans out, lol...dropped enough of them on my head to know better by now. :confused:
  4. M

Howdy, I have a '91 Explorer: 4x4, 2.9L auto, about 200,000 miles. I had the tranny rebuilt for $1700 two years ago with an update kit. Last fall I replaced the electric shift motor (with a lot of help from you guys). The engine runs fine but the lifters are very noisy even when hot, and...
  5. M

Ticking

Mine are probably seized up pretty good - tried Rislone recently but no help with the noise. Probably should have done it 5 years ago. So, anybody whoses lifters are just beginning to get noisy should try it, it very well could help.
  6. M

Ticking

It's the tappets. Mine have been doing that for the past 5 years or so and this year they began doing it even when hot. Depending on the truck's mileage, prolly better to wait til it blows up and get a used or rebuilt engine. No biggie, just eventually it will beat the valve train into...
  7. M

howl from engine bay?

Make sure the cooling fan turns free when the motor is off. The centrifugal clutch froze up in my '91 and it made a hell of a jet-engine sound.
  8. M

How to: Rebuild 4X4 Shift Motor

Only thing I read was to disconnect two flat connectors from the computer module and push the test button on the bottom. If it flashes, the computer is good, if steady or nothing, it's bad. Mine flashed and turned out to be OK, FWIW. There also must be way to check the relays. There is a...
  9. M

rebuilt '91 4x4 shift motor install - adjust?

You've got mail, my friend. Fill them mugs up again, on me! Worked like a charm, in fact I added it to Brain's excellent thread. You da man! :thumbsup: ;)
  10. M

The Lisle Corp. of Clarinda, Iowa makes a "Wire Terminal Tool System", part no. 56500. Yyou take the red core out, then just push any of the pins (including the center one) out the back, easy as pie. I got mine from a motorcycle supply house, but I imagine NAPa or anyone has them on th...
  11. M

I felt I had to add this - it saved me a ton of money and a lot of grief... I was going to do as this excellent thread suggests and try to fix the motor. But the screws on back of the gear housing were so bad I was down to Easy-outs, and didn't want to mess with that. So I got a rebuilt...
  12. M

Wow thanks, I'll try that. Maybe it's bound up. Like I said, I did have to take off the rear bracket and rotate the motor a little counterclockwise to get it onto the shaft (which means that when I put the motor on it twisted the shaft clockwise a little past the 4H position). BTW, the...
  13. M

Thanks. But no...it worked perfectly when I had the motor off and turned the shaft to 4H w/pliers.
  14. M

OK, As a recap, I could not repair my old electric shift motor. I got a rebuilt one and installed it, but 4x4 still not working. I am positive I have it (and all the wires) installed the way they were. One point: To get the motor to fit over the triangular trasfer case shaft, I had to...
  15. M

Take apart '91 4x4 shift motor connector?

Hi, Thanks, but I figgered it out. This is a big "duh!". I remembered I had bought a pin-remover tool to work on my Harley but never used it. It has different-sized hollow tubes and blades on it. You push a tube down over the pin and it pushes it rght out. I'm doing three solder...
  16. M

Take apart '91 4x4 shift motor connector?

Howdy, Well, since I buggered up the screws on the old motor and couldn't get it apart to fix it, I got a rebuilt one. But the brown wire and the two sensor wires aren't in the new connector. I did retain the old connector and wires. I did a search but can't find anything. Can anybody...
  17. M

Help! Can't get '91 4x4 motor back on.

Well, things are going as these things usually go for me... Borrowed the special torx, got the motor on the bench. Couldn't get the frozen screws out w/torx. Sawed a slot in one to try a flat screwdriver. Half the head of the screw broke off. Threw the pliers in the truck for tomorrow...
  18. M

Thanks, I'll check it out. I think my mechanic said it was a cable arrangement...sounds simple enough. If I get rid of my motor you'll have first dibs... ;)
  19. M

Sounds reasonable. Also like something that could be done retroactively.
  20. M

Hey whatever, all I know is what it says on their (Advance Auot Parts) web site. There are pretty obviously things wrong with the factory setup, since so many people have problems with it. The simple matter of the bumper plastic crushing is a design flaw, for instance My mechanic friend...
  21. M

Thanks. I have read that thread and a very good one it is. It should be a lot easier to replace the unit the way you describe. And I'll be sure to mark the cover. BTW, as I posted in another thread, Advance auto Parts (Parts America) has these motors for $117, or $170 for an upgraded one.
  22. M

Quick question: cleaning shift motor

I'm in that situation today - doesn't seem to make any diff. In fact if I can't get the motor to work I'm gonna leave it off for now so I can shift w/ a set of pliers if need be...
  23. M

Cheap 4x4 shift motors

No sir! Look here...the Cardone is remanuf. and upgraded...looks like the Dorman is new. http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?SourceArea=&PartType=672&PTSet=A&Description=Transmission+Parts&SourcePage=PartTypes&SearchFor=Transfer+Case+Motor
  24. M

Going to try cleaning up the end of the shaft w/a file tonight - it sure looks like it should slide right in there. I have the whole thing wired up under the truck and drove it to work, seems OK. Got sleet coming tomorrow, if can't get it fixed tonight I'll keep my pliers handy, lol. My...
  25. M

snowed in with no 4wd

Start here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542
Back