Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Switch from 5w30 to 5w20 in the Explorer - Tech Service Bulletin

It's in Engineer's Technico-Legal jargon. Since the 4.0L engine isn't enumerated specifically inside, it falls under the final statement: "NOTE: IF VEHICLE IS NOT LISTED IN THIS APPLICATION, SAE 5W-30 OIL IS RECOMMENDED."
  2. T

Switch from 5w30 to 5w20 in the Explorer - Tech Service Bulletin

I don't see any 4.0 Explorers: 1995-2001 that require 5W20? "NOTE: IF VEHICLE IS NOT LISTED IN THIS APPLICATION, SAE 5W-30 OIL IS RECOMMENDED."
  3. T

Moving again; camshaft synchronizer chirping in cold: Monitoring failure?

'Taken under advisement.' You've given me a new perspective while I further research this project. Thanks!!
  4. T

Thanks for the (multiple) heads-up! I've got a few dragons barking at my door at the moment. This will have to happen after they're 'quieted' first/'shekels saved'/nerves steadied. (I'm surprised that my new-found repair shop wants to charge me 2.5 hrs. labor for this repair? Given your...
  5. T

'410Fortune' I appreciate your hard-won-opinion! I'm old-enough now to comprehend the 'wisdom of experience' (interesting: that spells 'w.o.e.')! (If only we fathers/husbands could somehow 'red-pill-our-w.o.e.' and force-feed it to our progeny (wives too): Perhaps our Nation wouldn't be in the...
  6. T

This other poster contradicts your 'sunny beach': Did you have to remove any of the aforementioned parts to do your repair? Also: Which brand part did you use for your replacement?
  7. T

I'm looking at the installed camshaft synch wondering how it got inserted straight-line traveling by the overlying (protruding) parts? Were these in-line parts removed and later re-installed in the 'after-shaft-installation' photo?
  8. T

...(7 mos. later) I've made the move, been through some (human) surgery(/more coming): XLS/OHV still 'chirping' (but not always?) I'm up to ~149K now; passed state inspection. Just paid insurance/new tires. The (Rockauto) Motorcraft replacement camshaft synchronizer is $199.00 vs. 'others'. Can...
  9. T

Happy 2020 All'y'all! Sudden circumstances & I'm moving (solo) again: To the 'big city'; 1-load-at-a-time ('tired bones'/weak heart/failing kidneys/'lost' 2nd-wind.) I can hear my camshaft synchronizer chirping more-and-more (2000 XLS, 6-OHV, 145k); especially at-idle. I have a Scan Gauge II...
  10. T

'Gremlins?' 'Morgellons?' '???'

'Thanks' for helping sort this out! I'll have to look into replacing the drivers' door actuator... The new battery is great for starting in now-frigid weather. (Plug-in gauge reads 12.9V-12.7V (since new battery was installed; charges between 14.4V-13.8V, depending on 'what's on?') The...
  11. T

'Gremlins?' 'Morgellons?' '???'

(I had some trade-in value left so) I installed a new Interstate MTX-65 AGM battery last week. CCA 750; CA 935. I've taken several trips including going 'over-the-mountain' to Charlottesville since. All has seemed 'well' until last night. (My 3-yr-old lead acid battery was rated at 675 CCA.) I...
  12. T

Another chirping 5.0L cam synchronizer

RockAuto has both the Motorcraft and the Spectra Premium. Spectra has a limited-lifetime warranty, includes the sensor/alignment tool, and is <20% the cost of the Motorcraft part. (Actually it's only ~15% of the cost since the Motorcraft doesn't include the sensor nor alignment tool!) Does...
  13. T

These parts don't come cheap ($180.)! The Motocraft is only designed to last ~10-yrs./150k mi.! (I guess mine is worn out at 20-yrs/145k!) "Position sensor not-included." Add another $24.00. I found these instructions at RockAuto for installing the Spectra camshaft synchronizer. Has anyone...
  14. T

'My thoughts, exactly! (Replace! Not fiddle with lubing...esp. @ 140K mi.!) "Thanks". I'll have to start researching the steps/part for replacement in 2020. ("Moving again (!)" (towards better medical care) is my first priority though...)
  15. T

(I've asked once before/no reply.) I drive an '00 XLS 4x4 OHV that occasionally 'chirps'. I've replaced all the drive belt candidates so it's likely my cam position sensor (lacking lube). I'm good at following 'recipe repairs' but too timid to tackle this lube task without a proven recipe for...
  16. T

4WD 5R55E Transmission Pan On 2WD 5R55E?

A Scan-Gauge II will give you the trans fluid temperature plus many other readings...
  17. T

Why gas tank has no lock?

I just installed: "2000 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 OHV: STANT 10502P Fuel Tank Cap, $ 14.31" from RockAuto and it's working just fine. I even attached the original gas cap tether strap to it (so it hangs) for when I'm refueling.
  18. T

96 Ford Explorer: Belt tensioner gone bad- is it worth it?

Here's the same part I just put on my 2000 Explorer at <$20.00: More Information for GATES 38102 You might want to replace the idler pulley too while you're at it. Also an easy 1-bolt repair. As far as belts go, this one: Good Year Gatorback drive belt, is reputed to be quieter than others. But...
  19. T

Half-the-purpose of having locking gas caps IS the avoidance of blatant disrespect for propert(-y/-ies) (vandalism)! I merely illustrated the tenor of the incitement of vandalism towards a family member who--as of yet--only has a fuel door release lever (protecting his present fuel system). (His...
  20. T

'Thank you.' Nor have I (yet) had my car 'keyed'--though I have had many more years of displaying bumper stickers than has our son--who has had his millennial car vandalized! I'd prefer NOT to have to learn how to deal with foreign additives in my fuel system (either). The public attacks by...
  21. T

No. Another model (Stant 10502 Locking Fuel Cap) is cheaper/better rated. I simply listed this because the video author posted a Russian product with doubtful/unknown 'venting properties'. I may purchase the Stant (my current bumper stickers may encourage 'fuel additives from (sick) strangers'...
  22. T

MOTORAD MGC910 MotoRad fuel caps are designed and manufactured to prevent fuel loss, primarily through evaporation. A faulty or leaky fuel cap emit up-to 30 gallons of fuel per year in to the atmosphere. All of MotoRad's fuel caps meet all Federal (MVSS301) and I/M 240 requirements. MotoRad's...
  23. T

Darker winter skies; older headlights @ 25%?

'Would've helped.' It was getting dark/cold outside and the fixed-plastic mounting frame was a barrier to accessing release-tabs behind the headlamp housing mounts. I dissected/destroyed the old adjusting mounts to 'get the job done'. The TCY mounts were adequate but minimal (too).
  24. T

That's what I thought. 'Thanks' for spelling it out. [('Cataracts' are the least of my concerns!) Possible renal cell cancer, both kidneys failing fast, 'ticker' out of synch/ weakening, 'oil-lines clogging', & 'PCM module' 'shorting out'! This '53 junker is soon-to-see the scrap yard!]
  25. T

Well, it's 'fun' to look at my new, CLEAR TYCs instead of my 20-yr-old, foggy-yellowed OEM Ford's. But...I'm not that impressed with the improvement in brightness. I AM IMPRESSED that the ORIGINAL Sylvania HB5/9007 bulbs dated 'Sep 30 99' (dirty-enough to be the original bulbs!) survived 20...
Back