Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Borla Exhaust overstock sale

A few lessons learned from my Borla exhaust installation on my 96 Explorer 4.0L four door. Use plenty of Liquid Wrench! Make sure you buy a new exhaust donut where it connects to the catalytic converter. I also replaced the bolts, springs and nuts. It’s also easier to remove the bolts that...
  2. A

Borla Exhaust overstock sale

Hello All, I just bought a Borla Exhaust system for my 96 Explorer 4 dr, V6 4.0 for $291 + $50 shipping. Here's the link: Dead Link Removed I'll let everyone know what happens when I receive the system next week. Carter
  3. A

Power antenna

Hello, I installed a power antenna in my 96 XLT. Go here to read the post about my installation: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=23022 Installing a stock power antenna is difficult if your truck didn't originally come with one because you'll be missing the...
  4. A

Special Tool To Remove Headunit??

Hello, I went to a local stereo shop and they gave me a set for free. They said they had a stack of em' in the shop because a lot of head units include a set in the box. If you can't get em' for free buy a set. They are well worth the investment. Carter
  5. A

Front sway bar replacement - need some help!

Hey, Well, the spacers are removable but won't fit my new bar anyway. I took it out for a test drive and immediately noticed an improvement in handling. Much tighter road feel and less sway. Carter
  6. A

Hey guys, Has anyone ever replaced a front sway bar on a 96? I'm surprised that with all of the Explorer people on this board that I've only received one answer. Carter
  7. A

Hello, The instructions say this: "This kit may come with none, some, or all of the hardware required to install the bar depending on the installation. If the hardware is not included with the kit, the hardware from the O.E. bar must be retained and re-used." The parts I received for the...
  8. A

Hello, I just removed my front sway bar to replace it with a new sway bar from Performance Products. After removing the stock bar I noticed that it has some kind of spacer on the bar next to where the bushing/bracket assembly would mount. I'm assuming that it's there to limit the travel of the...
  9. A

Aftermarket Power Antenna

Hello, I thought about using an OEM Ford power antenna but ran into a few problems. The OEM power antenna has a sticker on it that states not to apply power directly to the motor or bypass the relay. It turns out that if your Ford didn't originally come with a power antenna you don't have the...
  10. A

Aftermarket Power Antenna

Hello, I just installed an after-market power antenna on my 96 XLT. I tried quite a few antennas (Harada, etc.) and couldn't get anything to fit in the small area under the fender. I finally found one through J.C. Whitney that has a remote motor. It has a long section of flexible tubing so you...
  11. A

Sway bar bushing isn't split?

Hello, I just received my front/rear sway bars from Performance Products and have a question. One of the two poly bushings that came with the rear sway bar isn't split. I don't see any way to get it on the sway bar without the split. Am I missing something here are both supposed to be split...
  12. A

Best shocks for 97 XLT

Hello, I just had Edelbrocks Peformer IAS shocks installed on my 96 XLT and what a difference! What a nice Anniversary (16 years!) present! I guess I'll keep her around. I experimented with tire pressure to find the right combination and 32 PSI seemed to work the best with my Michelin LTX...
  13. A

Lateral shock absorber replacement?

Hello, I ended up having them installed at a local shop. Kind of an Anniversary (16 years!) present from my wife. Pretty understanding wife I have here. My next project will be a Borla catback exhaust. I'm trying to get a little more HP out of this V6. It looks like a pretty easy installation...
  14. A

Best shocks for 97 XLT

Hello, I just ordered some Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks and will let you know how I like them after I get them installed. It will probably be after the holiday. Carter
  15. A

Hey Mike, Thanks for the info! I just called a local shop and they're having a special on the IAS shocks right now with $10 per shock installation. The IAS are a little pricey but from what I've read they sound like an excellent shock. I might just do that but they are really backed up changing...
  16. A

Hey, I was laying under my truck yesterday deciding how hard it would be to install some Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks when I noticed that I have a lateral shock absorber on the right rear. Has anyone ever replaced this shock and if so what shock did you use? Also, any tips or tricks on...
  17. A

Aftermarket system and control buttons on the steering wheel

Hey, I have a Blaupunkt Munchen that has a wireless remote that mounts on the steering wheel. It's pretty cool in that you can change between CD, CD changer, or FM just by pushing a button. It also does track changing, volume, mute, etc. depending on what mode you're in. A little pricey but I...
  18. A

Removing a steering wheel

Hey guys, I just got a steering wheel from a recycler. My old one had some thin spots in the padding and the cruise lights had burned out so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. I paid $60 and this wheel looks brand new and the padding is twice as thick. Anyway, I'm reading my...
  19. A

Installing a power antenna

Hello, I have the basic stock one piece radio antenna that unscrews from the base. I want to install a power antenna so I can lower it when I'm driving through low hanging tree limbs and such. Quite a few trees here in Washington State. I called the local Ford dealer today and they want $130...
  20. A

Installing a power antenna

Hey guys, I'm considering installing a power antenna in my 96 Explorer XLT. Let me begin by saying that I've never installed a power antenna before. Now, when I had my Blaupunkt Munchen installed the installer spliced into the existing harness instead of using an adapter. I'm assuming that the...
  21. A

Do I have a factory amp?

Thanks for the response! When I replaced my front and rear speakers I noticed that they do have "Premium" stamped on them. So maybe I do have the amp setup. For "Premium" speakers they don't sound 1/2 as good as my Rockford Fosgate or Infinity speakers. Maybe I should just tear the panel off and...
  22. A

Do I have a factory amp?

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out if I have a factory amp in my 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. Is there a way to find out without removing the rear panel to take a peek? Perhaps looking at the wiring harness under the dash for certain wires? Or maybe my stock head unit will only work with the...
  23. A

How do I remove a 1996 Explorer door panel?

Just an update on my Rockford speaker installation. I ended up buying a spacer from: Dead Link Removed Autotoys has a spacer made for installing 5 1/4 speakers in the 6 x 8 opening on Ford products. All I had to do was buy some hardware to mount the speakers to the spacer. I left the original...
  24. A

factory amp bypass

Hey, Here's where you can get an amp bypass harness: Dead Link Removed Click on: DASH & SPEAKER KITS / PLUG IN HARNESSES / ANTENNA ADAPTERS then:HARNESS **** plug it in **** then:FORD PREMIUM AMP BYPASS HARNESS It's $15.00 and sounds like what you need. They have lots of unique...
  25. A

How do I remove a 1996 Explorer door panel?

Yep, just got the door panel off. I went out and bought a door panel removal tool ($7) as suggested and it made it much easier. It turns out I had to remove two screws and a few of the push pins, unhook a couple of cables, and the panel is history. Now it turns out that the 5 1/4 Rockford...
Back