Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Jackal - I think most of us have been there before, whacking away on a car for countless hours and getting nowhere. You appear to be a younger guy, and you'll learn that experience pays dividends. (I learned a lot of stuff myself - didn't come from a mechanical family). The biggest lessons...
  2. H

^ ??? You've lost me... 4WD hub? You only need to remove the halfshaft axle nut, then press the halfshaft inboard to disengage it from the hub (bearing) splines. This uses just a 2- or 3-jaw puller. If you go a step further and decide to replace the unit bearing (hub) it's held to the...
  3. H

Amazon prices: Lower Ball Joints: Moog K8695T $31.59 each Upper control arm - LH: Moog K8708T $80.03 Upper control arm - RH outer: Moog K8710T $80.03 Sway bar bushings: Moog $15.57 Don't forget axle hub nuts (4x4). You shouldn't reuse the old ones.
  4. H

getting sick of it

I've heard of body mounts going bad or loosening. ??
  5. H

getting sick of it

Got mine done this weekend. Replaced all 4 with Moog parts - which are substantially beefier than stock, are greaseable, and have a lifetime warranty (for whatever that's worth). LH side took me 8 hours (ugh) and a lot of cursing, until I learned the tricks all of which are well documented...
  6. H

Great how-to in this thread. Replaced mine this weekend. The first time I attempted it in my '95 for whatever reason (possibly wrong part?) the LBJ was actually too small to fit back into the LCA... ended up replacing the whole LCA. Either way, everytime I got stuck with a stubborn part, I...
  7. H

getting sick of it

Crawled under the truck last night... by feeling the spindle it definitely appears the noise is coming from one of the ball joints, likely the lower. I've never had a BJ fail with the noise like this before - only with slop that creates a clunk in the past. I didn't notice any evident tears in...
  8. H

Could this be a ball joint?

Did you use the two RH UCAs? Or did you get the right ones? RH and LH sides are 2 completely different designs that are NOT interchangeable. If you used a RH part on the LH side, you've screwed up the caster and possibly camber settings that can't be aligned out. This would explain the...
  9. H

getting sick of it

Yeah, mine's doing the same thing... started quite suddenly the other day. I know the BJs are getting loose, as I've been developing all sorts of clunking in the front end (thank you terrible MN roads). Can't stand the thought of doing yet another round of BJ replacements on an Exploder...
  10. H

Transmission failure (leaking fluid around bellhousing)

My understanding is the bellhousing is supposed to be dry in the 5R55E. If you're leaking from there, you've got big troubles. If you already have had driveability problems, the trans is probably toast. Get it to your local tranny repair shop immediately. You're likely in for a rebuild...
  11. H

Leaking B&M drain plug(s) - ATF question

I bought and installed some 1/2" ID drain plug gaskets from O'Reilly's that are metal washers with rubber grommets. No leaks. The old plastic gaskets were useless. When I removed them, I observed that if they are overtorqued in the least, they will leak (anything more than 10 ft-lbs in my...
  12. H

Leaking B&M drain plug(s) - ATF question

Installed 2 plugs last week in my trans pan (1 for drain, 1 ready for an oil temp sensor). One of the two I'm sure I overtightened - I torqued to spec but felt the plastic (nylon?) washer crush before I hit the suggested torque. Both are leaking from the outside threads. Question: Would...
  13. H

Where is the cargo hatch switch?

The lock actuators are a small electric motor attached to a worm gear. They move a shaft/hook that connects to the locking mechanism on the door latch. The gears often times strip or the motor burns out. Here's how to replace them: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=185707...
  14. H

which lift gates are interchangable?

98-01 are all the same liftgate. News to me that 95-97 will bolt up to 98-01. It would look screwy though since the lights wouldn't fit and the bumper is curved more on the 98-01s. And the license plate deal too. Personally, the rear wiper is so piss-poor on the 98-01 design I'd rather have...
  15. H

Frustrated! Idle and stalling problem.

O/D light usually means a transmission related problem. Sometimes it could be as simple as a bad throttle position sensor - or it could have other implications. Get the codes from it - will be a lot more informative. When my transmission started to go, it wouldn't downshift 2-1 during rolling...
  16. H

Where is the cargo hatch switch?

The tailgate and backglass is locked/unlocked on the same circuit as the rear doors. There is no dedicated "trunk release" on the RKE fob or otherwise. The tailgate has its own release handle just behind the lip above the license plate. Open the back glass by pushing the button above the...
  17. H

2011 Explorer.

Chill out everyone. It's just a test mule - built only to package together the major bits (chassis, powertrain, floorpan, etc.). And no, they don't do it to get a media kick... it's an engineering prove-out. The styling will be radically different from what you see here. They commonly...
  18. H

4R70 "clunk"

@rizzjc - what was the problem with the rear axle? Now after a few miles, I haven't had any problems with the clunk. Seems to have gotten used to the new fluid.
  19. H

4R70 "clunk"

Time to resurrect an old thread. Dropped my pan last night for what appears to be the first time ever (found plastic plug) at 133K. Did a filter/fluid change, installed a drain plug. 4.5 new quarts of MAXlife MercV. Crossed my fingers. Shifts are just perfect. But under very light...
  20. H

How pissy is U-Haul going to be?

Avoid U-Haul like the plague. They have no idea what they're talking about regarding the Explorer (as evidenced by the Mountaineer nonsense). Furthermore, their logistics suck and their equipment is substandard (I wouldn't consider half of their fleet safe for road use). I wouldn't trust a...
  21. H

Anyone know if a aftermarket stereo keeps steering controls?

Macgiobuin: did the PAC system still maintain the climate control buttons on the wheel??
  22. H

I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!

Try as I might, I couldn't get away from here. ;) Surrounded by a family of Explorers even after I sold my '95 I've been keeping my "Explorer Sense" keen... And such... my new ride... a 2001 Mounty with 131K miles. Bought to tug my new 17' boat around (the Subie tows it just fine, but at...
  23. H

WINDOW STICKER Get your vehs. orig. window stkr.

You need to right-click the link and select "Copy Link Address" or whatever your browser says similar to that. Otherwise, simply using "Cut-Paste" will just get the truncated address with the "..." in the middle.
  24. H

How to replace 94 4.0L camshaft Position Sensor

I have one for sale for the DIY Know I'm a little late to the party... but if anyone's looking for a CMP I'm selling a new one for a 1995 - $175. From what I read, it should fit a '94 as well... but you'd have to verify that for yourself...
  25. H

Occasional "lurch" at highway speed

Time to stir up an old thread... 8450 - any updates on if the T-case swap solved the issue? My dad's '00 4x4 is having the same exact issue - just started up last weekend. First occured on dead-flat dry pavement on the highway with the cruise on (60 mph). No RPM blips, CEL, OD light...
Back