Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

mpg

This is why I traded my '04 in on a Crown Vic. Bigger engine=better mileage? Sounds strange, but its true. The biggest issue is the "always on" 4x4 system in the 3rd Gen Ex. You can't full disconnect the front end so you're always burning gas. My parent's '04 YukonXL Denali gets 14 mpg at...
  2. R

Where to buy Mobil1 5w20

Could I run 5W30 in place of the 5W20 or is it too thick/heavy for that engine?
  3. R

Where to buy Mobil1 5w20

My new DD, a 2004 Crown Vic, requires 5W20 in the 4.6l V-8. Since I can't buy it at Costco, where can I get Mobil1 5W20 buy the case or jug?
  4. R

Motorcraft Filter with Mobil-1 5W-30??

That's what I use and change both every 5k.
  5. R

2004 XLT wheel camber question

I got the truck aligned today at Tires Plus, and the tech said that the camber was within specs for my truck and normal due to it being IRS. Since I've never had an IRS truck before I guess this is something I'll have to get used to. He did fix the front toe on the truck so it wasn't a wasted...
  6. R

Alignments: Post your numbers!

I just had mine done at Tires Plus and did the 3 year deal for $100. Here are my specs: LF: RF: LR: RR: Camber: -0.6 -1.3 -0.7 -1.7 Caster: 5.5 6.1 Toe...
  7. R

Yes, the tires fit fine w/no rubbing. As for the shop, I'll call them tomorrow and ask if they can retrieve them. I would think though that the truck should sit level on all four wheels and have an even and "square" contact patch on the ground. As it is, it looks like the inside walls of...
  8. R

The shop didn't give me the readings, and I forgot to ask for them. The tires seem to be wearing evenly so far, but I just want to make sure that I don't run into problems later on. I might go have the alignment checked again at another shop just to be sure before I leave on my trip.
  9. R

I just upgraded the tires on my 2004 XLT to P255/70R16's, and now I'm noticing that all four wheels seem to be out of camber. When I look at them and place a level to them, the wheels angle in diagonally with the top of the wheel sitting just inside the wheel opening. They look like this...
  10. R

ipod in x - neat custom install

That's really cool, a nice custom job.
  11. R

I'm getting HORRIBLE gas mileage! Help me!

Sounds like what I'm getting, about 15-17 mixed. Remember, its a truck, not a Prius, so its not designed to get good mileage.
  12. R

How the H-E-double hockey sticks do I get wider tires on my 2002 XLT

I'm running 255/70R16's and they fit perfectly, no rubbing or issues. Someone else put 265's on his and he says he gets a little rubbing if you turn the wheel hard but only then.
  13. R

Unhappy ownership

I haven't experienced that, only the funky 1-2-3 shift pattern due to the way that Ford made a 4-spd tranny a 5-spd by manipulating the ID system. Other than that I've had no issues with my truck. Sorry to hear you're having issues.
  14. R

2004 firewall access??

I went through the rubber boot that the steering column goes through.
  15. R

What size hitch?

Standard size is 1-1/4" with the 4-pin connector. It's what I have on my truck since i don't have the tow package.
  16. R

Another Tire Size Question

Those look good, how do they ride? I'm thinking of doing the same thing, what shop did you go to? From the tire name I'm guessing Big O Tires, which we don't have out here. Also, did you test fit 255/70R16's? If so, how did they look?
  17. R

diesel engine swap

I'd love to throw one of the new 6.0 PSD's in my Ex, but I'll have to wait a while for it to age before I do that! Or just wait until the rumored diesel Expeditions come out in a couple of years and trade up.
  18. R

After Alignment, tire psi 39 cold

Is that true for the 3rd Gen Explorers? If so, what pressure should I run the OEM tires at? I have them at 35 now but they seemed to get better gas mileage at 37-38 psi w/o a noticible effect on ride & handling.
  19. R

Motorcraft oil any good??

I run Mobil 1 and change every 5k. I'm going to start doing it myself now that I have a garage and don't have to worry about the elements anymore. I also see a floor jack and stands from Costso in my near future; $64 bucks can't be beat.
  20. R

Longevity of Ford Products?

I agree, if you take care of and maintain your vehicle it will last for a long time. Just like anything else, if you don't take care of it, it'll die a horrible death.
  21. R

Whats your MPG at 78 mph?

Did the K&N & new exhaust make a difference, and could I expect similar from the V-6?
  22. R

Whats your MPG at 78 mph?

I get about 18 @ 75, crossing the Blue Ridge twice daily.
  23. R

Inaccurate speedo in 2004 X

1980's & early '90's GM cars were notorious for this, being as much as 5 mph faster than what you were going. My 2004's reads about 1-2 faster than what my GPS says.
  24. R

2002 Oversize Options?

How's your mileage with those tires, and how far off is your speedo?
  25. R

Aftermarket CD/Changer Mounting in Console

I mounted mine under the cargo area where the jack is. I also don't have the third seat option if that helps.
Back