Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Fuel efficiency...

Diesel is pretty straight forward. Unlike a gas engine that has dedicated fuel and ignition systems, the fuel system is also the ignition system. Modern common-rail diesels are simple to increase power since they are computer controlled, only a programmer is necessary unless you plan on drag...
  2. C

Poor idle, NO power

That’s good info to have. I just bought a 99’ 4.0 sohc that needs a timing set at a minimum. If, after the rebuild, I experience these symptoms I will definitely take a look at the cats.
  3. C

Poor idle, NO power

Especially if it’s a plastic manifold, they tend to crack.
  4. C

Poor idle, NO power

Not sure if the issue is resolved(almost a year old), but it sounds like an intake manifold leak. Or a timing chain issue. The fuel trims indicate unmetered air in the exhaust stream and smoothing out with the throttle cracked supports that.
  5. C

4.0 Timing Guide major wear spots.

Unless you swap the guides with mechanically tensioned sealed roller assemblies, the issue of slapping relatively unlubricated guides will remain an issue. If they are plastic then they are prone to breaking apart. If they are steel then you have to deal with metal being worn off and forming...
  6. C

Fuel efficiency...

Best mile/horse to dollar swap would be a diesel powerplant. A cummins 4bt would fit really well. A 6.0/6.4 Powerstroke would probably be cheaper or more available. Going diesel would need a compatible fuel pump and ECM but great power and mileage.
  7. C

2nd gen issues? Try this first!

MAF cleaner seems to work pretty well, but there might be a cheaper alternative. Its called contact cleaner or electronics cleaner, depending on store purchased from, and it is safe on paints/plastics. Here in Sacramento its about 70% the cost on average. Another good habit to get into is...
Back