Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Thumping while driving

hubs... there's a thought. I'll give the tires a check as well, and take her around the block engaging the trans case... That was on the agenda, but I wanted to do it close to home just in case... Thanks again... This is the 1st opportunity I've had since the 'cane. I lost power for 36...
  2. S

Thumping while driving

I don't _think_ there's an out of balance tire, the ride quality hasn't diminished, there's no shimmy, no shake, no steering wheel jumping. Plus, the thumping is something that you can hear, as well as feel 'through' the truck. I checked the tires for signs of an imminent blow out, but found...
  3. S

Thumping while driving

maybe... I'm pretty sure this truck is all stock, right down to the fluids ( except oil & trans fluid ). I bought it used a couple years back... My 1st thought(s) were U joints, but they didn't seem to have play...
  4. S

Thumping while driving

hmmm... The rotors are fairly new - probably less than 4k miles, and about 7 months... Which is certainly no guarantee... There's no brake pulsation though. I checked the exhaust too, and while it's not rock solid, it doesn't show signs of impacting that I can see. I'm going to put her on...
  5. S

Thumping while driving

Lately, about the last week, I've been noticing an increasing 'thump' as I drive. I noticed it first, and still, most prominently on deceleration. It's rhytmic, and seems to be proportional to driveline speed. It's a '91 EB 4x4. It's not engine I don't think - once the valve clatter stops...
  6. S

Seats & seat belts

Thanks ! for all the replies so far, now that I have some confirmations, I have a lot fewer part numbers to search for ! Anybody got any input on the seats themselves ?
  7. S

Seats & seat belts

I have a '91 exploder EB 4x4, tan int. w/ about 165k miles or so. The interior looks it. My front seats are uncomfortable, ripped and the belts are problematic... I have the old style seatbelt latches (like the '70's era cars) in which you depress the square button to release the belt. My...
  8. S

Flickering lights!!Help!!

same here... I have the same issue, have had it for 2 years now. After trying the 'alternate ground' fix, new alt., new reg (only), new battery (it expired), and a 2nd new alt & regulator, I had a mechanic friend check out what was happening. It's just not charging sufficiently under 800 rpms...
  9. S

Performance Chip Warning

If you choose to run a chip, to increase performance, often times what the chip program contains is a line pressure increase in the trans to 'firm up' the shifts - what we used to do with a valve body. Increasing the 'line pressure' strains the trans pump beyond capabilities, and will...
  10. S

window stuck

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: Sure enough, looks like the motor - maybe the cable(s)? are shot. I can lift the window, but it won't stay... I'm going to have to brace it & get it to a mechanic I think... I have a Haynes manual, but it looks like getting the motor free involves...
  11. S

window stuck

I figured out the handle part ok (the two screws) , but I have a unique ability to break things :eek: and didn't want to ruin this if there were connectors I couldn't see... So the panel part just 'pops' off ? Thanks for the help ! ! ! ! :chug:
  12. S

window stuck

:rolleyes: I'll bet I know already but... My rear driver's window has decided it likes the down position better than the up position. :mad: It's making a slight noise & will go down if I manually pull it up... It's a '91 Eddie Bauer. I got the piece around the door handle off, but...
  13. S

electrical gremlin

Thanks all. Matt sent me a mail, I checked resistance & voltage at lunch, both look good as measured by my multimeter - no resistance bat. neg. to chassis, or engine. Voltage constant, steady 12 eng. off, 14 engine on. measured at battery, bat. pos to chassis ground, alt pos to chassis & alt...
  14. S

electrical gremlin

I need some (more) help. My 91 EB has some sort of electrical issue ; when I start the truck, or, when I'm idling or below about 1500 rpms, the lights 'flicker', volt gauge bounces rapidly. While driving, the volt gauge reads a tad high. I've checked the ground, voltage reg / alt, and they...
  15. S

Sub in storage compartment in cargo area

Check out my (kind of) explorer page at: http://www.radix.net/~sdave/explorer.html I put in the Q logic box, a 10" MTX 4k sub using (for now) the stock sub amp, & met with good results... HTH.
  16. S

Alt./reg. replacement - need quick help

It would seem that my alternator ('91 EB 4x4) is overcharging (all lights flickering at idle) Dealer wanted $260 for ONLY the alt. I can get it for half that myself. I don't have a Haynes manual - yet What do I need to do to change the alternator ? Do I need any - ANY - special tools ? any...
  17. S

Big 10 inch ... Sub that is.

Sounddomain took about a week. right in line with what they told me. HTH.
  18. S

Big 10 inch ... Sub that is.

I have a 91 EB with premium sound. After trying a replacement 6.5" speaker that really didn't help, I ordered a Q logic custom Sub box for a 10" sub replacing the factory sub box (from Sounddomain.com) and a 10" MTX 4000 from Crutchfield to try & clean up my Bass. It worked well, here's my...
  19. S

GPS systems any thoughts

I know of 2 integrated systems you can buy, one by Clarion, the other by Alpine. Since you've said cost is no factor, I'd go with the Alpine, it has a display that comes out of the days, it's color & about 5"x5", uses a 'cd changer' box to house the street level maps, etc... really trick...
  20. S

Newbie sound scheming

Hello, I just bought a '91 EB w/ premium sound. The head unit was a pioneer with the face plate missing. I replaced it with a Kenwood Excelon 711. On fire up, I noticed that at over 1/2 volume, the factory 'sub' was making noise. Even the wife disliked it, so I got a 6.5" mid/sub from...
Back