Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Replacing an 01 5R55E with an 04-11 5R55E

Hi All, I have spent the last few days searching online and almost have the answer. I have a 2001 Ranger 4.0 SOHC with the 5R55E 4x4. The transmission is on its last leg an want to swap it out. I know mechanically, the 5R55E from a newer Ranger will bolt up fine, but will the 5R55E in the...
  2. M

Transmission failure out of nowhere!?

Well I got in my Explorer this morning to go to work, engine started fine, but when I put the transmission into drive it never went into gear. R D 3 2 1 all do not engage. I'm getting two codes: P0731 P0735 Now the most bizarre part is that it has not shown any symptoms of failure...
  3. M

Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck

Hello All, I have 2 codes thrown on my 2009 4.6 3V P2006 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 1) P2007 Intake Manifold Runner Control Stuck Closed (Bank 2) I'm assuming the actuator has failed on the back of the intake plenum. I spoke with my local Ford Dealer and they want an...
  4. M

Epoxy, Tape or something else... for this repair?

My friend's truck was broken into, and the retractable cover for the bed was damaged. It looks like they used a crowbar to pry the flexible (softer plastic) cover away from the hard plastic frame. I'm trying to find a way to fix the cover, the softer plastic goes into a channel in the hard...
  5. M

40" LED light Bar Install

Just finished installing, what do you guys think?! Mounting
  6. M

4th Gen Wiring Diagrams

Does anyone have wiring diagrams for 4th Gen Explorers? or know where to find them online? Specifically the headlights, fog lights Thanks in advance
  7. M

4th Gen HID Projector Retrofit and HID Fogs Build Thread

Well earlier this week I picked up a 2009 Explorer, after just a few nights of driving I already miss the projectors on my 2000 Explorer. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209015 So here we go again. Parts ordered: 2x MORIMOTO MINI H1 5.0 Projectors 2x MORIMOTO XB35...
  8. M

My New Clean Slate... Bought a 4th Gen!!

Well after 200,000 faithful miles my 2nd gen is now showing her age so its was time for something new. I got a great deal on a 2009 Limited with 40,000 miles. Its Black and has a V8, same as her predecessor :) Quick To Do list... and if you have seen my 2nd gen write-ups I'm sure you know...
  9. M

Ignition Coil Manufactures

Anyone have any experience with ignition coils from these manufactures: STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS, Part # FD487T http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1005918 and KARLYN, Part Number 5074 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3873453 I need to replace both...
  10. M

Need Help Diagnosing Trans Problem (videos)

Hello all, I haven't been around the forum that often lately but I am in need of some help trying to figure out a problem that has gotten substantially worse over the last few years. My Explorer has had a somewhat intermittent hard shift when downshifting from 4th into 3rd. It use to be a rare...
  11. M

Help with IDing part (PIC)

I have been trying to find this part online for awhile now, but its tough when you dont know what to call it. Anyone have the real name for it, it attaches to the back of the front diff and attaches to the frame. The bushing is shot and I think this is the source of a clunking noise I have...
  12. M

Weird ABS Problem

I have been trying to fix a problem with my ABS for several months now and have had no luck. The system works perfectly fine 90% of the time but on occasion the ABS will engage like it does when a wheel locks up, however it is on dry pavement and it only does it when the vehicle is rolling to a...
  13. M

Failed Emissions: Communication Failure

My Explorer just failed its emissions test. The vehicle inspection report says that the inspection machine failed to communicate with the vehicles computer. The mechanic also said that he is not getting 12 volts from the OBD II port. The check engine light is not on, and it does illuminate for...
  14. M

O/D Problems (light didn't come on)

For the last year my transmission (4r70w) has been shifting hard every now and then. It will have a few good shifts, then usually when it downshifts from 4th into 3rd while under a load, and at a low RPM around (1500) the will be a very hard shift. I had it looked at my friends shop, couldn't...
  15. M

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

This is my second and hopefully much more helpful writeup on converting the 95-01 gauge cluster to LEDs. I have tried 3 different types of 12v wedge based 194 replacements and I have finally found the one that puts out enough light and lights up the cluster evenly. Here were my candidates...
  16. M

Pioneer FH-P800BT or Kenwood DPX503

I have narrowed down my choices for my new stereo to the Pioneer FH-P800BT and Kenwood DPX503. Both are double din units. Does anyone have either unit installed? I'm really looking for any feedback I can get...
  17. M

Torque Specs for Exhaust Manifolds

I just finished replacing the exhaust manifold gasket on the passenger side. Does anyone know the torque specs for the bolts? I cant find them anywhere. 00 5.0 AWD Thanks
  18. M

Where to get Transmission Cooling Lines

One of the cooling lines for the transmission rusted through and had a pinhole leak in it. I temporarily fixed it by cutting out about a 1 foot section of the line and replaced it with a length of 3/8 rubber fuel line and some hose clamps. However I haven't been able to find the replacement...
  19. M

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs. Starting with the Driver and Front Pax What you will need 20 LEDs 55,000mcd 20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v Radio Shack Project board First cut 2 pieces of...
  20. M

Bosch Platinum +2 Spark Plugs

I'm going to be replacing my spark plugs on my 5.0 soon and have been looking at the +2 design from Bosch. When I changed my plugs the last time I just went with the Autolite Double Platinum, because I thought the spiltfire, diamond fire, etc.. were just snake oil products, but over the last...
  21. M

Different color screens in gauge cluster?

Well this is the first time I am posting in the 06+ Explorer forum, Im looking into getting a new Explorer, and have been shopping around. I am seeing alot of Explorers with different color screens in the gauge cluster, green, yellow, and red. Why is this?
  22. M

Transmission Shifting Hard

I have a 00 5.0 AWD. The transmission has been shifting hard for some time now and I have taken it to several garages and they cant figure out what it is. It did this several thousand miles ago and when I had the fluid changed (non synthetic) it worked fine for a long time. Then it started...
  23. M

SeaFoam Vid

Just SeaFoamed my Explorer. Thought everyone would like to see the smoke lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnKbST4b-U
  24. M

Waterproofing Drivetrain?

I have a 2000 XLT 5.0 V8 AWD. I would like to make it so that if I drive through water that's up to the doors none will get into the Axels, Transmission, Transfer Case, and engine. I think all it would really take would be to relocate the breathers higher up in the vehicle, is that it? and how...
  25. M

LED Rear Under Seat Lighting (PICs)

This is part 2 to the Under Dash lighting mod I did several months ago. It took some thinking but I figured out how to do and LED setup under the rear seats and still have the seats fold up and down. What you will need: 1/16 3/4x48 piece of aluminum angle ( Home Depot ) 6 5mm Blue 13000mcd...
Back