Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

93 4.0X ATYPICAL valvetrain rattle after repairs

Right, they seem pretty normal for any engine with a few miles on it. But after having been on it, in it, driving it, etc for a while the noise directly correlates to oil pressure readings... and I've repaired, cleaned or replaced just about everything else so at this point it can only help by...
  2. F

Sorry that I've not updated lately - I've been consistently working on the truck with my spare time. I had the heads off and apart, surprisingly things look fine. Lifters were a little gummy but I cleaned them up as best I could and put the engine back together. Still has the rattle, now only...
  3. F

I understand people's concerns with running additives over long distances. However, as I've used this same product in engines repeatedly in the past with great success I trust it. I check the oil daily for extra particulates, metal, etc. So far so good. I'll be switching to full synthetic high...
  4. F

A lot of good points - I do know it was driven to where it was parked when I got it and "didn't do that" though I'm 99.999% sure it did have the same problem(s). When I got my hands on it earlier this spring it was more or less the same upper end rattle we all know. It wasn't until I got it up...
  5. F

I'll have to look more deeply into that possibility. Will update when I know more, thanks!
  6. F

I wondered about that, as being a relatively new vehicle to my growing fleet of machines I don't trust it yet. Even though with the original chatter/noise I took it on an interstate drive for 250 miles. Other than a noticeable lack of power, it never failed to 'go'. I did the old school...
  7. F

93 Ranger front differential leak RTV

I'd say it could work, but your mileage may vary (pardon the pun). I say this only because on older BIG garden and yard tractors in my shop I've seen plenty of Dana 23 based differential housings that were bolt-through like that from factory. They didn't seem to leak at all if sealed (ie gaskets...
  8. F

thank you for the reply. Yes, it is a manual transmission vehicle. I believe they are the original lifters, so approximately 112-113k miles
  9. F

I'm sure a thousand people have brought up the subject that every ohv 4.0 owner eventually faces - valvetrain rattle, thinking theirs is unique. I'm not beating them over the head mind you... I'm no stranger to it, but this 'new' problem (maybe problem(s) ) is stumping me. Facts are as follows...
  10. F

you can do this a couple ways in my opinion - you can get an inline noise filter which should be...

you can do this a couple ways in my opinion - you can get an inline noise filter which should be 10-20$ for a decent one. another method is to use a simple 32v, 1000mf capacitor for the battery input. one leg to the wire coming in, one leg to the stereo.
  11. F

Want to add navigation to 2014 Limited

greylimit is right on the money. there are however, other approaches that may or may not be cheaper/easier. There are relatively inexpensive chinese made head units (not necessarily bad mind you) that run android and are directly capable of using google maps with the attachment of a usb gps...
  12. F

1993 Ranger XL Supercab CarPC upgrade

Being my first non-introductory thread, I'll just leave a quick summary of what I did, how I did it and what drove me to do it: I installed a 'rugged' industrial passive cooled PC in my ranger. I found the cheapest option possible, so that if I screwed it up upon install or even after, I wasn't...
  13. F

Greetings from the armpit of WA

Howdy. I'm Dan, I run a very small time outdoor customs and design shop from my back yard. I've been a fan of rangers and explorers and all their cousins since I was a kid, back in the 80's. I've been lurking this forum for a long time when I needed tech tips. I figured now was as good of time...
Back